Forum Member

Default offroad ambulance?

The service I run on is going to be looking for another unit soon and was trying to get something with 4x4 capabilities as we will get several calls in the spring and falls out in the middle of fields and just general hard to reach areas that no ambulance can get to and very rarely the fire depts brush truck can make it.

We were possibly thinking Humvee for this but it doesnt seem like the best solution in the end as they ride real rough and the back isnt made for civilian transport as more for getting alot of wounded to safety on the battle field.

Is it possible to obtain a 4x4 chassis for an ambulance? I have searched several areas and havent had any luck other then brush trucks and the like.

Does anyone have an idea where I can look or any possible ideas?

MembersZone Subscriber

Not sure where you can look for info but most of the ambulance conversion companies (Wheeled Coach,AEV,Excellance etc.) can build on a 4-wheel drive chassis for a type 1.I know you can get van chassis with 4-wheel drive conversions (Quigley comes to mind) made so that would be an option for a type 2 or 3.If you want a medium duty the Internationals,GMC 4500 also come in 4 wheel drive.
    Firefighter/Paramedic Seven Hills Fire Rescue Mobile,AL

MembersZone Subscriber

4wd ambulances are not unheard of. You'll see lots of them in areas with heavy snows, and quite a few units in some beach communities where the beach IS the access to the different homes.

Depending on what kind of access you're looking to get with such a unit though, you may or may not be able to do what you want.

Ever thought of a Tahoe or Suburban chase vehicle that could access these calls enough to allow egress to hard surface roads with a patient on a board in the back? Or even cheaper, a Gator type vehicle with provision to transport a patient?
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

thanks for the quick responses.

Actually we have that about a chase type of vehicle since we do mutual aids for the neighboring towns that lack ALS so that would save us using a unit and then we could also use that for this such occasion.

I will check out and see what places I can get to locally and discuss with them what kind of options and such we can use.

Appreciate it.

Forum Member

Braun Northwest has built an off-road type unit for a department in Oregon. I'm thinking it's for along the Oregon coast where there's giant sand dunes. Braun NW is a local ambulance builder that pretty much dominates Washington and Oregon.

Anyway, go to http://www.braunnw.com/ems_agiliti_typetwo.php and then click on the "Hauser RFPD" link on the left side of the page. I'll try and link to some pics here, but in case I can't get them to work, you'll have the source. All of these are from Braun NW's website.

MembersZone Subscriber

We run three 4WD Type I ambulances. All are currently on Ford F-350 chassis, I wouldn't call them off-road units as they still have a fairly low clearance from the ground, but they often get in to camp roads in our area when others get stuck. We see a few months of snow and ice, followed by a short mud season, all of which creates havoc for our neighboring depts. We've yet to get one stuck, but we don't go into fields or off a beaten path.

Forum Member

I know Excellance has a unit posted that went to the Ukraine and was designed for off road/heavy snow use on their website

Forum Member

Lightbulb

My name is Bryan May is a sales representative for Phoenix Trailer & Body Company our company builds emergency response apparatus, trailers for nacsar, medical treatment trailers and more. I would first like to say 4x4 ambulances on not uncommon on either type 1 or type 2 ambulances these on the most common of the three types of ambulances. I am sure you can get a four-wheel drive conversion for a type 3 not to common at least around our area. You did quote that your ambulances can not get in to a lot of area and your local fire department brush trucks very rarely can make it. I might have a good solution to your problem our company manufactures a four wheel drive Kawasaki Mule trans 3010 ATV with seating for 4 emergency responders. This unit has patient transport capacity from rural area such as your case. If a brush truck can make it a four-wheel drive ambulance is not going to solve your problem. You need to look into a smaller unit for off road rescue we currently have a firefighting unit, medical response unit, and a fire/rescue combo unit available for this type of unit. I am not going to talk you out of the four wheel drive b/c I donít know you weather condition for your area. My response to this post is that is the 4x4 was only going to be used for off road rescue it is more then likely going to be money you could use on other equipment. What I would recommend is to look closer in to a our Kawasaki Mule Medical Unit and a new ambulance if you would like more information about our medical units please post a reply with you email address and I would email a flyer of this unit. I can build you a quote both ways 1. with a four wheel drive ambulance and 2. With a two wheel drive ambulance and a mule medical to show you a cost difference.

Thanks
    Bryan
    Phoenix Trailer & Body

Forum Member

PL Custom builds 4x4 Vans. We have one and it works fine on the beach. They also, in the past, made Hummer's that were transport capable (and yes, the ride sucks).
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Check out this site for custom made off road units

http://asap911.com/
    I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

Forum Member

Default Ambulance

You may try Horton.

www.hortonambulance.com

Forum Member

Check out these guys. They have a lot of 4 X 4 units on the west coast, pacific northwest and alaska.

http://www.braunnorthwest.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mach158 View Post
    The service I run on is going to be looking for another unit soon and was trying to get something with 4x4 capabilities as we will get several calls in the spring and falls out in the middle of fields and just general hard to reach areas that no ambulance can get to and very rarely the fire depts brush truck can make it.

We were possibly thinking Humvee for this but it doesnt seem like the best solution in the end as they ride real rough and the back isnt made for civilian transport as more for getting alot of wounded to safety on the battle field.

I'd guess you've not actually been in a DOD HMMWV ambulance. One of the few logical emergency service applications where I think I'd actually recommend a HMMWV (brush/wildland rig is not on this short list).

DOD mostly uses "high top" (M997) version but did buy some "low top" (M996) and softtops. A very good and useful as std starting point and no reason you couldn't add on as may optional gimcracks as you have $.

http://www.svsm.org/gallery/HMMWV-M997-Ambulance

HMMWV is extraordinarily capable crosscountry, totally different league than any 4x4 E350 ambulance. The E350 is for snow covered roads not cross country extraction. So depends on what you're actually looking for. The SUV counterpart or a real off road machine.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile great units

I am the Asst.Chief of Hauser Fire good job on the info. This van is one of two that we have. We rescue around 80 people per year with the vans. One was built by Braun Northwest & the other was built by H&W. The 4x4 sys was built by Quadvan. need help or more info just ask.

Braun Northwest has built an off-road type unit for a department in Oregon. I'm thinking it's for along the Oregon coast where there's giant sand dunes. Braun NW is a local ambulance builder that pretty much dominates Washington and Oregon.

Anyway, go to http://www.braunnw.com/ems_agiliti_typetwo.php and then click on the "Hauser RFPD" link on the left side of the page. I'll try and link to some pics here, but in case I can't get them to work, you'll have the source. All of these are from Braun NW's website.

[/QUOTE]

Forum Member

It was either in JEMS or EMS Magazine this past month that had a scene featured from Moab, Utah (Grand County) EMS.

It made mention of the special ambulance used to access the remote scene. It appeared to be a typical, run of the mill Type 2 that had a 4x4 chassis and was equipped with BFG All-Terrain tires.

I would imagine that would be a fairly capable unit.
    Jack of all trades, master of none.

Live Green, Go Yellow!

Join the forums at www.ambulass.com!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mach158 View Post
    4x4 capabilities as we will get several calls in the spring and falls out in the middle of fields and just general hard to reach areas that no ambulance can get to and very rarely the fire depts brush truck can make it.

Does anyone have an idea where I can look or any possible ideas?
    If you can't get there with a brush truck, you may not want to take your ambulance there. I am just thinking out loud...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefDog View Post
    If you can't get there with a brush truck, you may not want to take your ambulance there. I am just thinking out loud...
    That's what I was thinking, too.

I don't know what you're looking at, whether it's wooded areas or soft areas. Either way, you're going to have a helluva time trying to take an ambulance in there.

One person already mentioned a SUV. A district I used to work for had the supervisor on each shift driving a SUV that had been converted into a mini-ambulance where we could get a cot and all inside. No bench or anything, but it was only to get us to the ambulance.

Another option (and cheaper, I believe) is to look into a utility vehicle (Gator, Ranger, Mule, etc.) and put a rescue bed into it. The same district I mention above does this for large events and places we couldn't get into with a SUV. There is a little bit of a logistical issue getting it to the scene, but it's not that big of a deal if you plan ahead.

Thread Information