Forum Member

Default Apparatus response guidlines

I am writing this thread in anticipation of some help from my fellow firefighters throughout the nation. I am in the process of writing a new policy for my department in regards to the way we respond to certain types of calls be it emergent or non emergent. I am looking for some feedback on how everyone else does it around the nation, and hopefully I can get some copies of other peoples SOP/SOG's. So I can take them to my department for discussion and hopefully the writing of a new policy on response. I thank anyone in advance who can help me with my needs. Look forward to hearing from some people soon.

F/F E. O'Donnell

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Responses

Our department requires 4 certified ff per response to all out of town calls.
    In town calls: Alarm systems-emergency response to private residences in our assigned district. Non-emergency response to other assigned units.
    Structure Fires-All assigned units emergency response.
    Structure non fires-Emergency response in our district. Reduce speed non-emergency response to other assigned units.
    MVA non-fire--Emergency response in our district for first and second due.
    MVA fire--Emergency response in our district for all due.

As you can see, most of our responses are emergency responses within our district. We have other responses for major highway accidents, industrial building etc. The list of responses is in our apparatus. Daytime response could require a task force assignment which brings out all three of our stations. (We are an all volly department operating out of three stations located within our Township. We serve 25000 people and average 1100 call per year overall. )

POP

Forum Member

Thank you for the information....And stay safe

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 27SQ16 View Post
    Thank you for the information....And stay safe
    Here is some more hopefully helpful idea's about apparatus response. I work in a combination department with 3 stations and about 12 personnel, paid personnel that is. We run alot of alarm calls. We always run 2 engines and try to run our ladder on all structural calls. We also have a 5 mile stretch of interstate running thru our district. We always run 2 engines on interstate due to so many unknowns. On wrecks we now run 1 eninge which all front line trucks have extriction tools aboard. We have a brush unit which is fairly brand new but we run our first out engine to woods and grass fires as well as the brush truck, again so many unknowns. On vehicle fires we usually run one engine, unless theres a hint of a structure is involved then that all changes. We're also called upon for service type calls such as changing smoke detector batteries or installing a smoke detector or maybe check for someone burning illegally or something along those lines. Service calls are normally nonemergency deals. Thats just a little run down of how our department deals with various types of calls. Hope that gives you a fairly descent guideline of some SOG's. Need anymore help just yell.

Forum Member

Again I thank you for the info..But I am looking more towards they way in which you respond as far as what constitutes a emergent response and what is considered a non emergent response.

Forum Member

Suggest you do a Google Search "Fire Department SOP" and FD SOG and you'll get access to all kinds of procedures to reference or copy. This is what I did. Just be sure to customize what you do for your dept as it relates to your dept.
    Neighbors Helping Neighbors

Thread Information