Forum Member

Lightbulb Rescue Truck Wishlist

I am just looking for idea's for equipment on a future Heavy Rescue. Does anybody have suggestions: what has worked great, what doesn't work, we had to have it and now it has never been used, or wish we would haves.

Also, any "out side the box" ideas or obvious things that may be over looked.

Thanks in advance and stay safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

I wish we had a large "A" frame gantry, I've seen them mounted both in front and back and think it would be a nice tool for the tool box.

Otherwise I'm easy, as long as their is enough space for everything we carry and stuff we don't yet it would work for me.

Forum Member

extra space to add of future equipment. Check out our new one at www.levittownfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber

A light tower is well worth the added expense. We put a 9k command light on our new truck, and it makes a huge difference.
    "The uniform you wear was given to you. The respect that comes with it must be earned."

Heretic
    Lieutenant
    Vermont

Forum Member

Thumbs up Rescue 32

Mpullen32,

Nice looking truck. What are some of the specs. And, if you don't mind, what was the approx price tag?

Email me if you like.

dbkane318@aol.com

Forum Member

I'd have a 2" reciever on each side of the rig so you can plug in a 9-12,000 # winch. T.C.

Forum Member

An extended front bumper with a hydraulic reel, preconnected tool and an electric reel. We run on mostly two lane roads and being able to nose in and have a access to a front mounted tool and reels works very well for us. Also we have a brow light mounted above the front windshield. It is powered by the generator and has a switch in the cab, it alows for quick light up of the scene.

Forum Member

FireRescue43

post/send pics?

Forum Member

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=90501

There are a couple specs down in the thread. I was not on the committee that built the truck but i believe it was in the ball park of 500,000 all together. We recieved grants for most of the equipment on the rig as well.

Forum Member

A department that a friend of mine works for has battery powered rescue tools. They aren't like Dewalt batteries, we lifted a small car with the spreaders. They are versatile and great tools.
    Firefighter II/EMT-Intermediate, ECFR, NC

"I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but who we know the work which the fireman has to do believe that his is noble calling. Our proudest moment is to save lives. Under the impulse of such thoughts, the nobility of the occupation thrills us and stimulates us to deeds of daring, even of supreme sacrifice."
    Chief Edward F. Crocker, FDNY

Member IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Heavy Rescue Ideas

We have been operating a heavy rescue since 1959. (1)American LaFrance century 5 man cab with a walk in rear. (2) Saulsbury on an MC Mack also a walk in with seating for 10 - 1984 (3) - 2004 KME all wheel drive with 8 man cab. (currently in service)

The LaFrance had 300 gal of water with a 5 stage booster pump (1000 psi at 70 gpm) - Sometimes this was a definite asset, but now we respond both the rescue and 2 engines on all rescue calls. If you are a small department with limited manpower, the ability to put a watch or cover line in place could be an advantage.

The 1984 was outfitted with the first engine operated Lucas rescue tool in the US and this was a tremendious improvement in deployment of jaws and cutters. It was also retrofitted with a hydraulically operated light tower in the early 1990's. The light tower has been one of the most important improvements to fireground safety that has been made over the years. The availability of hose extensions and a portable gas powered hydraulic unit is essential for industrial and forest operations where access can not be gained by the rescue unit.

Because of our remote location (closest mutual aid is 11 miles west - 21 miles east) and the frequent rural operations we use this apparatus for rehab regularly. An onboard refrigerator is a valuable asset when loaded with hydrating drinks and water.

A heavy duty winch and A-frame have only occasionally been used on both the 1984 and the 2004 apparatus, but in those cases where it was needed, nothing else would have functioned.

If the rescue will contain engine powered PTO devices that need to be operated at varying rpm, it will be necessary to use a hydraulic powered generator. It should be sized to provide full power at the lowest anticipated rpm.

Multiple frequency radio capability and/or repeater operation for use as a command post for nonstandard fire operations is a good idea. Search and rescue operations here sometimes require communications with multiple agencies. Example: Pa. State Police, Local Pol., Ambulance & med channels/ road crews/ Search & rescue (4 wheelers & dogs)/ Game Comm./ State Forest / National Forest. Under new "Unified Command" Procedures.

The current vehicle is all wheel drive because of snow (sometimes 30" or more in a storm) and mud roads.

Go back and analyze your rescue responses over the past 10 to 15 years and try to pick out trends in the type and severity of your calls. Try to anticipate the changes in the demographics of your response area and then make a "guesstimate" of the type of calls you will be getting in 10 to 15 years. Build this for the future, not to cover your calls today.

Good Luck!

Kuh Shise

Forum Member

Default Heavy Rescue Ideas

First, let me acknowledge the sound advice already given, particularly that of
    KuhShise, i.e. build for tommorrow not today. Great advice that.

Now, I am not an expert by any means, my former department ran three rescues, none of which could be classified as heavy. But, between the three of them they almost made it. And, rescue was always my game and still holds most of my interest. So, I have a few thoughts to share.

First, whether you have a truck company or not, any properly equipped rescue should, IMHO, meet the criteria of an ISO rated Service Company, by having all the equipment of a ladder company, less the aerial device and, perhaps, some of the ladders. Why not get the credit.

Second, rescue companies should, also IMHO, serve as the basis of RIT teams where there is an absence of truckies (or maybe where there is an abundance of them, they can get in trouble, too). So, RIT gear is a good idea.

Third, two or three sets of extrication gear, hydraulic, pnuematic, electrical, manual, etc. for that Big One on the Highway, or if the first one breaks.

Four, Lighting -- generator(s): as big as you can afford, cords: as many as you can carry, lights: enough to rival the sun on a clear summer day and fixed, on masts and portable.

Five, Cribbing -- how many trees are there? Use half.

Six, Everything else -- look around and see what your nieghbors have and compliment their investments. My station ran a light/air/high angle (rope) rescue unit, our sister station had the HRT as did one of two neighboring departments the other the airbags.

Seven, Extras -- how about a crane like some folks have.

Just my two cents.

Oh, one last thing... Make sure it will fit in the firehouse.
    America's Volunteer Firefighters -- Putting the Wet Stuff on the Red Stuff since 1736.

"To make rescues fast, pull on past. Don't get stuck, because you blocked the truck."

"The reason Smokey Bear had no children? Every time his wife got hot, he beat her with a shovel."

"It's quite simple, really. You call, we come. Nothing to it. Whether you really need us or not, we'll come, because you called. That's what we do."

RTF

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Rescue Truck Possibilities

Check out the websites of Rescue1(PLCustom), Hackney, SVI, Marion Body, EVI as well as the Big Guys...Lot's of Idea's.

Thread Information