MembersZone Subscriber

carry those big tarps with the bullseye in the middle so they can aim for something to jump into.

But I do like the duct tape idea.

Texans think alike

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

When I heard about a local FD using a hydrant line with three rookies,no safety officer or engine on scene,I thought back to that night and wondered how any of us survive some of the things we see and do.
    I hear ya there Doug. The things we do for God and Country that the folks at NFPA, NFA and other assorted organizations and Unions would just roll over and die if they "only knew".

During our OPERATION ENDURING FREEDOM sojourn to Dubai, UAE, we were along side for 8 days conducting a mid tour maintenance cycle. About 900 (j/k - maybe 150 really) local dockyard guys descend upon the ship and start doing EVERYTHING: painting, heavy maintenance - I mean everything. So during one of my duty days I see some guys up the funnell chipping and sanding, and one guy down below sort of supervising. Anyhow I get talking to him cuz I notice there aint a lot of saftey ANYTHING attatched to these guys that looks like it would prevent a feather from falling much less a 160 lb adult male. The essence of the conversation was "Well if one falls overboard or dies, there are plenty more to replace him." How's that for "job security"?
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Question Yeah............

Quote Originally Posted by cap6888 View Post
    Hey Backstep.....the building in question is the Anton House 2600 Keating St

Stay Safe
    Courtesy of the Skeleton Crew

Been There, Burnt That............ Or am I thinking of Southern Ave....... Or Good Hope Rd........ Or maybe it was Branch Ave....... Or was it Toledo Terrace....... Or Parkway Terrace Drive........ Or Edmonston Road..... Or maybe it was Hilmar Drive........ Or Regency Parkway........ Or Greenbelt Road.......... Time to quit, my head hurts..........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Way to rub it in Harve ........at least we had a little play time today, otherwise C shift has been pretty dry.

Stay Safe

MembersZone Subscriber

Cap6888, NP. I never could figure why this county would single staff double houses. Stay safe.
    "If you put the fire out right in the first place, you won't have to jump out the window."
    Andy Fredericks,
    FDNY E.48, SQ.18
    Alexandria, VA F.D.

Rest in Peace

Forum Member

You guys and your 6000 #'s.

Mine's almost triple that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

MembersZone Subscriber

Jealous?

Just kidding,,,,,,,,how do you think it makes us feel that there are people out their with ID's almost triple ours?

"I have been where you are, you have yet to be where I am"
    Forget where I heard that one, but its true sometimes.

Stay Safe

Forum Member

Jealous?

Just kidding,,,,,,,,how do you think it makes us feel that there are people out their with ID's almost triple ours?

"I have been where you are, you have yet to be where I am"
    Forget where I heard that one, but its true sometimes.

Stay Safe
    Jealous? Nah. I have great respect for the "Crusty Jakes" on the job.

Oh, and is the answer "Old" ?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Yes we do. Daily. Get stuck??. Occasionally. But it's part of the job. Our Drivers know their rig's limits and they make it work. "Beached it" is the common term used to describe getting a position on the lawn, and you will hear it often. Back to the question, I'd throw the Thirty-Five, OFFSET from the window above, then hook the windowsill with the Roof Ladder. By having the Thirty Five offset, you fix the problem of the Roof Ladder resting on the Thirty Five.

Over the past Forty-Nine Years, I've done a few things with ladders that is not taught at anyone's Academy. On several Jobs, I've opened the hooks on a Roof Ladder and scaled up apartment balconies, and one trick that got National attention in the late '70s, we raised a Twenty Four ft Extension Ladder from our Tower Bucket to make a grab. Good News is that Everyone went home. We also opened a Thirty Five ft up all the way, Laying flat on the ground, then lashed the rungs so the sections wouldn't move. This Ladder was lowered into an excavation from above, to access a person who had fallen off a wall. (Vertical Rope Rescue wouldn't work, due to obstructions). So, I guess you can try some of these, and your own, in training. You'll be suprised at all the things that you can do, with a little imagination...... Stay Safe.

I bet the OSHA guys pass out when they see you!

I agree, do what you gotta do to get it done. Adapt and overcome!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Dickey-

I am pretty sure the OSHA guys intentionally stay away from us! They would need numerous pairs of clean underwear, a few bottles of aspirin, and loads of Johnny Walker after spending a day with us!

Good thing's happening

IronsMan53 - thats what we came up with, unfortunately our shortest roof ladder is a 16'.......our guess was that the angles of the two ladders laying on top of each other might make it a wee bit unstable. Again, 90 plus percent of the time there is only two of us, I might be a little more comfortable if I had someone heeling the 35 and someone at the 16/35 to steady the two where they overlap.

Frosty.....we talked about the rope rescue from the roof......decided against it again due to lack of manpower.

The only way that there would be truck access is if we were lucky enough for two of the cars in parking spaces on the side were empty. But it would have to be those two exact end spaces. That is the only area we can squeeze the truck back there. Believe me, I have no problem taking the truck off road. Does anyone know the rating on a Seagrave to push a car out of the way?

Thanks for the responses so far,,,,,,,I would love to know if anyone else has some other ideas.

Stay Safe
    Did anybody come up with reducing the height of the 35' so that the 16' wouldnt overlap it? Just have the 16' meet at the 35' just as one continuous ladder in theory.

Rob

Thread Information