Default Help With MSA donning/doffing procedure

I work for a law enforcement agency that has MSA airpacks and masks in the building. We are rewriting SOPs, procedures, training manuals, etc. I'm trying to find a good resource for step by step instructions of how to don/dof these tanks and masks. We have the old type with the large metal respirator on the hip and the big hose going to the mask. Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is a serious matter to have our people trained properly.

Forum Member

Just out of curiosity, what are using these packs for?

MembersZone Subscriber

How about going to your local F,D, and asking them for assistance.
    I am sure they will help and might even share thier SOP/SOG's with you.

T.J.

Forum Member

I'd contact the respirator manufacturer and have them send you and old instruction manual. Either that or check with the local FD. If they had the same brand, then they will likely have exactly what you are looking for.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by neverdairy View Post
    I work for a law enforcement agency that has MSA airpacks and masks in the building. We are rewriting SOPs, procedures, training manuals, etc. I'm trying to find a good resource for step by step instructions of how to don/dof these tanks and masks. We have the old type with the large metal respirator on the hip and the big hose going to the mask. Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is a serious matter to have our people trained properly.
    Why did the agency not have SOP's for the masks already? I thought you were 'rewriting' them. Don't reinvent the wheel. Keep it simple.

Permanently Removed

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by Geinandputitout View Post
    I'd contact the respirator manufacturer and have them send you and old instruction manual. Either that or check with the local FD. If they had the same brand, then they will likely have exactly what you are looking for.
    I would agree. Contact the local FD. Sounds like some older model MSA's you're working with here, but even if the local fire department has more modern equipment I'm sure there are some old hands around who are still proficient with older belt-mounted regulator models. Even if they don't use MSA's, they should be very familiar with SCBA's in general and ought to be able to help you out.

Also, ask the local FD if they have a library of IFSTA (International Fire Service Training Association) manuals (they should). Either the "Essentials" manual or the "Self Contained Breathing Apparatus" manual will have a detailed (but generic) donning procedure with pictures and everything. That would probably be a good place to start.

Again, what are you going to be using these for?
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

I know the county jail here has the old MSA SCBAs hanging on walls all over the place. I believe they are for fires so the jailers could get prisoners out and not be overwhelmed by the smoke. Never know if a prisoner would take that oppurnity to try and escape.

MSA had at one time a poster for the Ultralite 2. I couldn't find it on the website but I'm sure someone somewhere has it on file.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Permanently Removed

Just contact MSA, I am sure they will send you any and all material to help out.

Thread Information