Iranfromthezoo

Default What do you love about being a firefighter?

I don't think we've had one of these in a while and I think it's due time.
    What do you love most about being a firefighter?
    Do you have any funny story that sticks in your mind?
    What advice would you like to pass down to the younger generation?

MembersZone Subscriber

What do I love about it, packing up going to any type of fire, know any could go wrong.

What would I pass along, If your a volly, your officers are who's popular, not who knows their ****, so always watch your back!!!

Forum Member

Nothing like a 30 run 24 hour tour, getting relieved and taking a shower knowing that you wont have to do it again for at least 2 days!

Forum Member

Or watching the local news on a call you were just on and laughing your axes off while the reporter gets all the reasons wrong on why you did stuff.
    That and knowing more than what they can say on the news,only to have to keep your mouth shut about most of it because it's all stuff that folks just don't wanna know about.
    As to being a volly,my old department promoted from need and based the decision on the courses the officer candidate had taken to earn that level.Popularity had nothing to do with it.We had a couple officers that I'd heard stories about that would make you shake your head.Those tales explain the adage that "cream is not all that floats".
    Last edited by doughesson; 06-28-2007 at 05:19 PM.

IACOJ BOD

Having a parent stop by the station to say thanks.

Humbling.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

The chicks dig it.

Honestly its the quality friendships and doing the job when needed safely and going home.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Forum Member

Thumbs up Been there-done that

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    Nothing like a 30 run 24 hour tour, getting relieved and taking a shower knowing that you wont have to do it again for at least 2 days!

Amen,mate,amen--but you do realise that you have upset all the "one call wonders"?
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
    Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

Forum Member

the chicks dig it

It also cracks me up that we sit around the station just waiting for something bad to happen, then we go tearin *** out of the house, sounds blairing with our hair on fire... i can hear the circus music playing

MembersZone Subscriber

Honestly, I love everything about it. The good, the bad and the ugly.

I love the feeling of accomplishment after a fire. The comaradarie of my brothers and sisters....the smell of the station after a good worker....the feeling of being forgot about until the next anniversary of 9/11 or the next big fire....the feeling of one person who comes to shake your hand because you were there for someone they knew or were related to....the smell of a brand new fire truck....the stiffness of new turn out gear....the sore muscles after a fire....the way a kid's eyes light up when they see you and the truck....the meetings we have to figure out where we are not spending money this year because the budget got cut again....the "fall down and can't get up" calls at O' dark early......the little old lady that wants you to stay for dinner.....the way a probie looks and acts after their first fire.....the way everyone pitches in to help until it's time to roll hose and everyone disappears.....the way someone chews you a new one because you drove by the house too fast or the siren was too loud....the way every generation thinks the following doesn't know anything.....to listen to the "old timers" talk about back in the day......the smell of burnt food as the nebie tries to impress everyone on his/her cooking ability and ends up burning something........

but most important is the brotherhood. We take care of our own. It's a family that you are part of forever, regardless.

What I don't like are death notifications....anything with kids....and dealing with mutts.
    Last edited by Dickey; 06-29-2007 at 07:25 PM.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherHed4Life View Post
    the chicks dig it

It also cracks me up that we sit around the station just waiting for something bad to happen, then we go tearin *** out of the house, sounds blairing with our hair on fire... i can hear the circus music playing
    Haha then we get mad when the house isn't on fire

MembersZone Subscriber

The brotherhood that you can have with anyone in the fire service. Being able to talk to them and not have a clue who they are. I really love the adrenalin rush you get when the tones drop for a fire. Riding backwards packin up going in to house where it's hot and you cant even see your hand on your mask.

Oh and helping people is pretty cool too.
    FOOLS
    RFB-KTF-DTRT

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Nicely put, Dickey
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool The Job.....

My favorite part of the Job, the respect from the young and the old........ Plus, it's cool that "Chicks dig us........."

My advice to the Younger Generation: Remember God gave you two ears and one mouth, use 'em appropriately. Stop thinkin' that you know it all, have seen it all and have to voice your opinion about every lil' thing.......... Cuz you haven't and those of us who have seen quite a bit aren't impressed and we don't care what you think.........
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

makes good girls go bad

The chicks.
    The friendships for LIFE.
    The fire.
    The chicks.
    The BRT.
    The fact that I AM the guy that I looked up to when I was knee high to a grasshopper.
    The chicks.

Did I mention that chicks dig it?
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Too many to list: One of the best is due to experience, being able to function in a panic situation while off duty. While others are gawking at a structure or MVC we have the ability to sort it out.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Well...............

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    Honestly, I love everything about it. The good, the bad and the ugly.

I love the feeling of accomplishment after a fire. The comaradarie of my brothers and sisters....the smell of the station after a good worker....the feeling of being forgot about until the next anniversary of 9/11 or the next big fire....the feeling of one person who comes to shake your hand because you were there for someone they knew or were related to....the smell of a brand new fire truck....the stiffness of new turn out gear....the sore muscles after a fire....the way a kid's eyes light up when they see you and the truck....the meetings we have to figure out where we are not spending money this year because the budget got cut again....the "fall down and can't get up" calls at O' dark early......the little old lady that wants you to stay for dinner.....the way a probie looks and acts after their first fire.....the way everyone pitches in to help until it's time to roll hose and everyone disappears.....the way someone chews you a new one because you drove by the house too fast or the siren was too loud....the way every generation thinks the following doesn't know anything.....to listen to the "old timers" talk about back in the day......the smell of burnt food as the nebie tries to impress everyone on his/her cooking ability and ends up burning something........

but most important is the brotherhood. We take care of our own. It's a family that you are part of forever, regardless.

What I don't like are death notifications....anything with kids....and dealing with mutts.

As usual, the Early Bird gets the worm........... Jason got up early and pretty well covered anything that I would have said. But, one minor addition:

I enjoy getting down the road in something that is Big, Loud, and Bright. I've always enjoyed driving BIG Trucks, the bigger the better, and the louder the better. In particular, Straight Sticks, Straight Stacks, and a Jake Brake. I do regret the demise of Straight Sticks in Apparatus, and as I type this, the days are getting short for the last one that I drive on a regular basis, a 1987 Ford LTL 9000 with a Cummins 350 and a Fuller RT10 transmission (Heavy Rescue, it can be seen at www.arundelfire.com - it's currently for sale, new one being delivered in Sept.)

Jason: Thanks Bro. Excellent Post.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    I enjoy getting down the road in something that is Big, Loud, and Bright. I've always enjoyed driving BIG Trucks, the bigger the better, and the louder the better. In particular, Straight Sticks, Straight Stacks, and a Jake Brake. I do regret the demise of Straight Sticks in Apparatus, and as I type this, the days are getting short for the last one that I drive on a regular basis
    Yes, I love that too. Big trucks, big and loud baby!

I also find it a dying breed to find anyone who can drive a stick. Probies come in and have no clue as to how work a clutch.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes, I love that too. Big trucks, big and loud baby!

I also find it a dying breed to find anyone who can drive a stick. Probies come in and have no clue as to how work a clutch.
    who needs a clutch grind it untill you find it right. J/K but seriously you only need the clutch for starting off the rest of the time if you know what you are doing you can shift with out it. it's quicker and easier.
    FOOLS
    RFB-KTF-DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Since I've got more miles in reverse than many of you have going forward, (I drive an 18 wheeler on the side, hauling heavy equipment), I will add that I like to hit a little jake between shifts, no clutch of course. Helps to drop into the next gear a little quicker, especailly when pulling a hill. Right Harve? And for the record, when I first joined the fire service, although I could already drive a standard shift car, I learned to drive fire apparatus on a real man's truck. A 1969 Mack CF. Straight exhaust pipe. Ahh, those were the days.
    Last edited by lieutleroy140; 06-30-2007 at 09:18 PM.
    Leroy140 (yes, THAT Leroy)
    Fairfield, CT, Local 1426
    IACOJ Tillerman

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fireslayer1237 View Post
    if you know what you are doing
    That is the exact problem. People are growing up not knowing what they are doing. Vehicles are becoming more and more of an automatic transmission and people are becoming less and less schooled in the art of driving a stick.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

That is the exact problem. People are growing up not knowing what they are doing. Vehicles are becoming more and more of an automatic transmission and people are becoming less and less schooled in the art of driving a stick.

which is why my daughter and son ( now 2 y.o. and 8 mo. respectivly) when it's time to teach them I will get a standard tranny to teach them! cause if you can drive a stick.....you can drive anything!

pretty much everything has been said...all I can do is echo the same......

the 10 days a month working , therefore getting to spend more time with the "half pints" at home is a real selling point!

advice? ......what does it matter? they won't listen anyways!!!

but if I had to give it I would say ALWAYS be busy around the station, sweeping floors, garbage detail, pulling weeds ANYTHING!..... even when you think no one's looking .....it shows you want to be there, and even though it doesn't mean anything to you SOMEONE will notice and when asked about you they will say you're a hard worker!

and that will follow you through out your career....or would you rather be know as the guy who sits in the Barka chair and makes everyone else pull his weight?

KFP

Thread Information