Forum Member

Default 1st semester paramedic looking for advice from the vets

Hey guys i'm a 24 year old male EMT-B currently half way through my first semester of medics. I do not have my fire certification and do to the recent hire freeze with MDFR (i was on the first eligible list) i'm currently examining which route i should go.

I'm taking medics at Miami Dade College and it's a three semester course. It is not a requirement to go through the semesters consecutively (meaning i could take 2nd and third semester later on in the year).

I'm trying to figure out if i should skip second semester and use those three months to get my FF1 certification? I've noticed down here in county though most people stressed getting your medics that MDFR hired a crap load of firefighters who didn't even have EMT certifications yet.

The other thing is how can i stay up to date on what departments are hiring? I know of services such as

floridafirejobs.org, meshprogram, etc.

But what routes should i take? Lets hear it from some of the VETs (or recently hired rookies too )

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm not sure about miami dade but im pretty sure the rest of south florida requires firefighter 2 for career positions. with that being said i don't think taking a firefighter 1 and interupting your medic class is all that wise.

Again im not sure about metro dade's standards and procedures but for the rest of south florida have ff1 won't mean squat you need that 2. And having medic is almost mandatory.

They hired a bunch of guys who didn't even have EMT yet?

Although i too am a fellow student (just finished my EMT-B course and FF1 and 2 i finished in febuary) My advice would be finish your medic. You are 24 and got time on your side, when they do open up hiring again you wanna be the best possible canidate, get your medic then get your 1 and 2 and apply everywhere.

I signed up for a website firecareers.com (cost me 8 bucks a month) but they show lots of job openings and mesh type hiring programs.

Forum Member

Firecareers.com, YES!! I cannot say enough good things about that site, it got me my job and is well worth the money. That website is on top of things. Anyway, your Paramedic patch is your golden ticket bro! DO NOT interupt your Medic course!! You want to focus 110% and get through it without interuption. Once you do become a Medic, you may very likely get picked up by an FD and then they will put you through the Fire Academy. Miami Dade will hire candidates with NO certifications at all. Just a reminder, do not do anything stupid like get speeding tickets, or God forbid a DUI, it can make getting hired a nightmare!

Forum Member

hey guys thanks for the replies... thanks for keeping me focused. I guess i just need to have some patience. But so far i'm doing good in medics (i actually have a Mid-Term practical on Trauma Assessment so wish me luck) I'll keep with it for medics... in the mean time... AMR owns me lol

Forum Member

FF1 means **** to any PAID department. Get your paramedic, it is the most important cert you need. Some dept's hire medics and send them to fire school. Reason being, fire school has a higher pass rate than medic school. And I don't mean dept's in the middle of no where, Sunrise, Davie and a few other dept's in Broward have done that recently. Medic school is no joke. Study hard, most people have to change their social habits to get through. By the way, where were you going to take FF1, Plantation? Keep in shape for now and don't fall into the AMR trap.

Forum Member

Thanks Firemedic... i know medics isn't a joke (just took my midterms practical and lecture and scored 94 on lecture and 93 on trauma assessment woot!)

I would of taken it down in Miami at Miami Dade College they have a fire college which county uses. But i'm focusing on medics now. As far as staying in shape contrary to what happens to most AMR employees i'm actually losing weight (started in at 237lbs and jumped on the scale just this morning at 216) so i'm lifting and doing my cardio.

Chuck

I would have to agree with Firemedic.

I am currently in my last semester, last month of class, graduating on 30 July and testing soon after.

You need to stick it out. Your medic will get you allot farther than your FF II. Most stations in this state are feeling the tax cut crap and your medic puts you one step above everyone else. This advantage will make a great deal of difference. FF II is cheaper than medic, so if you have someone who needs standards or medic, who do you think they will take?

Also, medic school is rough, trust me this last year has been hell with everything we had to do. But it is worth it, when you get your "blue and gold" it will signify a years worth of hard work. Feel free to pick my brain, I have allot of useless stuff up there from school, JK. I will be glad to help out another medic student as much as I can.

Chuck

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter6973 View Post
    I would have to agree with Firemedic.

I am currently in my last semester, last month of class, graduating on 30 July and testing soon after.

You need to stick it out. Your medic will get you allot farther than your FF II. Most stations in this state are feeling the tax cut crap and your medic puts you one step above everyone else. This advantage will make a great deal of difference. FF II is cheaper than medic, so if you have someone who needs standards or medic, who do you think they will take?

Also, medic school is rough, trust me this last year has been hell with everything we had to do. But it is worth it, when you get your "blue and gold" it will signify a years worth of hard work. Feel free to pick my brain, I have allot of useless stuff up there from school, JK. I will be glad to help out another medic student as much as I can.

Chuck
    Hi
    Great reply you've posted. I'm about to start Medic School next month. Pretty excited myself. Just rapped up EMT-B last May, and FF II the February before that. I am interested in knowing how tough medic school is. Is it tough because of the course loads? Or is it how much time you have to devote, i.e. lectures, clinicals, lab hours?
    I want to get an idea because I have been a full-time student in college before. I know how that is like -- I was poor.
    Or is it tough because someone like myself at the moment need hold a job to pay bills and go to medic school at the same time. Sorry for throwing out a lot at ya, but I want to know what I am facing. I hope I will at least enjoy the experience like in FF and EMT schools. Had a blast!
    Thanks.

Forum Member

Dell, medic school is a full time job on top of your full time job. It's been a little more than seven years now since I was in medic school but, I won't forget working 40+ hrs a week in a warehouse, doing ride time, hospital time, class, studying and still finding enough time to keep up my hours at my old vol. FD. It definitely builds character and makes you appreciate what you've accomplished.

Chuck

LOL, again medic has got it right.

All the reason you listed make it tough. Time management, clinicals, lectures, time management. If you have a family, I would sit down with them and talk to them and explain this is gonna be tough and take up alot of time. I explained it to my wife and she said cool, but half way through the second semster she was like "Holy crap you never home". So yeah, it is tough, but I promised them Disney when I am done.

Any, if you have another job, that is gonna add to the problem. I did the majority of my clinicals on the weekends as I am active duty AF and a Fire Captain. This is/was the hardest thing I have done, but in the end, it is totally worth it. I am done in a few weeks and I already have people asking me for part time medic work. Guess my grades spoke for themselves.

ACLS, PALS, Advanced Cardiac, Stroke classes, defensive tactics (a really cool class) and a bunch more. But like Medic said, you will appreciate what you have accomplished. Feel free to shoot me a PM or email, i will be glad to help you out.

Chuck

Thread Information