Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Did you ever...

Forum Member

Question Did you ever...

Did you ever think that as an expolrer or junior that you have done more than an average firefighter on the job longer than you? For an example the fire fighter was lazy, never clean the fire house, always have an excuse for even the little things, or never change the scba and told some one else to do it when clearly the higher officer told him to do it. please post.

Thankyou.

It happens all the time. No really that unheard of.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    It happens all the time. No really that unheard of.
    Yeah, hey thanks though

Quote Originally Posted by 1stduejunior View Post
    Did you ever think that as an expolrer or junior that you have done more than an average firefighter on the job longer than you? For an example the fire fighter was lazy, never clean the fire house, always have an excuse for even the little things, or never change the scba and told some one else to do it when clearly the higher officer told him to do it. please post.

Thankyou.
    Have done more then the average firefighter on the job? That's some funny ****. Don't you think they did "their time" as well?

Quit'cher bitchin' and take up the slack, Junior.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Res343cue View Post
    Have done more then the average firefighter on the job? That's some funny ****. Don't you think they did "their time" as well?

No don't get me wrong I am not talking about firefighters about doing more on the job, I myself believe that fire fighters do even more than explorers and juniors, my point is just some of the simple task around the firehouse just have an excuse for every thing, and I guess I respect you a little because of what you do for your town or city as a firefighter. Also, I myself do not have a problem with doing tasks around my firehouse.

Forum Member

I'm gonna let you in a little secret.

As a junior, or explorer, you are low man on the totem pole, and as such, you will catch all the crap work. That's the firehouse hierarchy. Chief> ASST Chief>Deputy>Captain>Lieutenant>Engineer>firefighter>probie>junior/explorer/cadet.

Though to be fair, I've never trusted anyone else to fill my own bottle for me, or do my equipment checks. If i have the juniors do the equipment chack, i stand right there with them, and quiz them on what their doing to make sure they didn't mess up.

I put in more time as a Junior than 80% of the members on the dept. Sadly the dept's members only want to run calls and not do any of the other aspects involved in firefighting.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

1stdue, it's the joy of being a Junior/Explorer/Probie. Suck it up.

I am in no way putting Probies at my level. I'm just using it to get to my point that Juniors/Explorers get the little jobs that a Probie gets that no one else wants to do.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Thankyou.
    Not around here junior. Stop and think for a minute where those firefighters came from and the time that they put in to get where they are LONG before you ever came along.

After reading all of your posts in the thread I sort of see where you're coming from, but chances are even as a well involved junior there is a lot more going on and a lot more that these guys are accomplishing than you get to see. The way that you post just sounds insulting and arrogant. Take the advice that everyone has given you, suck it up, and maybe one day you'll find yourself in the role of a full fledged firefighter. When that day comes I'm sure you wouldn't be too pleased to hear some 16 year old saying that they do more than you around the firehall...

Quote Originally Posted by Res343cue View Post

HOLY CRAP IT'S NICE TO HEAR FROM YA BROTHER!!!!!!

I would like to reiterate all that my brother Chris has said above. He is the man and has seen some action before/

If you are quick to take crappy jobs around the station it will get noticed. But treat these forums like a firehouse, when you bitch here people get ****ed just like they would at your station. And you also might want to be careful because, while I know that you have said nothing bad or anything and you seem to have a level head on your shoulders, you never know who reads these forums.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Thankyou.
    cleaning stuff around the house is nothing compaired to
    some of the jobs a firefighter may run.
    Station 4-5-2
    Paradise Pennsylvania.
    Firefighter/EMT

Thankyou.
    Sounds like you need to get over yourself...

No super junior, I'm pretty sure that we do three times the work as you do. Shouldn't you be cleaning something.

Forum Member

Here is my take on this.

When I was an Explorer and the way the post still is, you didn't do ANYTHING unless you were on a ride along at the station. If we trained with stuff during drill night, we would clean it and put it back. That hasn't changed.

I'm with a career dept here and every FF is responsible for their own equipment. You come in, put your gear on the rig, check your SCBA, flashlight, and radio and then as a crew you do rig checks and house cleaning.

If an Explorer is riding along they help with daily routines and then for the most part observe. Personally when I was an Explorer, I saw it as an honor to be with the FF's and to actually feel as part of the crew. The volly depts with such programs to me would be a similar honor as well.

So really...quit the bitchin'...stop the complaining of how YOU as an Explorer, Cadet, Junior do more work than the regular FF's. Consider it an honor that you even get to be at the firehouse and actually assimilate with the regular FF's. One day you may attain those ranks, and no, they don't need to keep you there if the attitude is wrong. So basically, do what your asked of without complaining. If Joe Regular FF is passing the buck...suck it up. The rest of the FF's see who is working hard and see the ones slacking. The also know the jr FF's who work hard and those that talk hard.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes, there is the occasional lazy-*****ed firefighter. But even that guy has probably already defeated demons that crapped bigger than you. Be glad that you are one of the 0.0002% of the population that ever gets close enough to the profession to even observe that much.

My advice to you (unless it is already too late): Don't ever let that thought slip past your lips at the station. Never miss a good opportunity to shut up.

I'll just leave it at that.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricHoser View Post
    Never miss a good opportunity to shut up.
    Ha ha! That is some really good advice EH.

Thread Information