Thread: Duty shorts?

Forum Member

Default Duty shorts?

Wondering how many depts. out there are allowed to wear shorts on duty? And reasons for and against? Thanks.

Ooops. Thread already exists, sorry.
    Last edited by Captnnc; 06-29-2007 at 03:34 PM. Reason: dummy

Forum Member

Well you could have pasted a link to the other thread!

But to answer your question, we just got them this year and are loving it. Reasons are reduced heat stress and longer productivity . That and the chief got sick of listening to us bitch.

Forum Member

Smile

I wish we had the option of wearing them! Right now the only issued uniforms we have are either long sleeved or short sleeved uniform shirts and long cargo style pants. They get pretty toasty between May and the end of September!

The other thing I always liked the look of is a nice embroidered polo shirt with the department name on it. I always thought that they looked sharp, and probably a lot cooler than the uniform shirts that we have now.

Not sure why we don't have either of these, maybe like MEck51 said, we need to bitch more lol

Forum Member

We have shorts but cannot wear them out of the station. When the alarm goes off and I have shorts on I put on the bunker pants no matter what the call is for.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

Just got them added to our approved uniform policy last month and we love them ! Approved for May 1 thru Sept 30, can't wear to do inspections, fire prevention details, public interaction type stuff but otherwise that is all we have been wearing this summer. Much more comfortable and cooler.

Forum Member

He said, 'duty' hahaha

MembersZone Subscriber

"Duty" You made me spit out my coffee! Great way to start the day!

Default Shorts are Great!

They may not look that great, but once you wear them under your turnout gear you will hate pants. You have much better mobility and you are still warm even on the coldest of nights.

MembersZone Subscriber

Last time I wore shorts under my bunkers for a structure fire I got steam burnt just above the level of my boots. If I am wearing shorts and we get a call I will but on my brush fire pants first.
    IACOJ - Senior Jake

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SSHANK42 View Post
    Last time I wore shorts under my bunkers for a structure fire I got steam burnt just above the level of my boots. If I am wearing shorts and we get a call I will but on my brush fire pants first.
    I'm the oppisite I get way to hot with pants on. If I am in my uniform pants when the tones drop so do my pants and just go in my underwear.
    FOOLS
    RFB-KTF-DTRT

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mcl312 View Post
    Just got them added to our approved uniform policy last month and we love them ! Approved for May 1 thru Sept 30, can't wear to do inspections, fire prevention details, public interaction type stuff but otherwise that is all we have been wearing this summer. Much more comfortable and cooler.
    You know my department does this same silly nonsense. In this case, are the temperatures on Nov 1st going to be nearly the same as they were on Sep 30th??

An over/under temperature system or god forbid, whatever your comfortable option in option would seem like a much better deal to me - guess thats why I am stuck a Lieutenant!

Oh, by the way, currently we have no option. No duty shorts here. We do have lighter, gym style shorts that can be worn while exercising - not "supposed" to be worn on calls without bunker pants.
    Last edited by MemphisE34a; 06-30-2007 at 11:18 PM.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

MembersZone Subscriber

We are permitted to wear shorts during the warmer months. Dates are prescribed, but have been extended when warm weather continues later in the fall than normal. They are considered duty wear and no change is needed for leaving the station on calls or other business.

Our insurance carrier prohibits shorts while doing yard work at the stations.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Forum Member

Working hard to get shorts approved in my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

My part time department has had shorts for about 3 years now and I love them. They are from 5-11 and have a bunch of pockets for stuff (very nice)
    No problems with the heat or blood on EMS calls etc. As a matter of fact when your legs are exposed you are extra careful not to kneel in stuff. So in a sense they are better for that since your pants will not stop blood from getting to your skin.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireslayer1237 View Post
    I'm the oppisite I get way to hot with pants on. If I am in my uniform pants when the tones drop so do my pants and just go in my underwear.
    I did that for three years in Cali. When I got out here to Nevada they thought I was crazy. Now if I am in my duty pants and the alarm goes off I have to keep them on under my bunkers. Just now starting to get used to it after a year now. I guess all departments have some messed up rules.

Forum Member

Smile FDNY study?

Im hunting a text version of the fdny study they did that promoted shorts be worn on duty/decreased stress levels...does anyone know how I can find it. Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

I visited Salt Lake City FD Station 1 last week on a business trip. All crew present were in matching uniform shorts with department insignia on the front of the left thigh.

FWIW it was after "business hours" on a weekday, it is possible their policy does not allow this during all hours.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Forum Member

We got shorts last year. All I can say is AWESOME! Its amazing how much (at least it feels) faster you cool off. Just drop your pants and bam, cool breezes on the fellas.
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fireslayer1237 View Post
    you must be a pierce county boy...weirdos.
    The good thing about this job is that we have done so much, with so little, for so long that we can do everything with nothing...... which is what is wrong with this job.
    KTF | DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MattyS View Post
    you must be a pierce county boy...weirdos.
    I was thinking Cowlitz.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricHoser View Post
    I was thinking Cowlitz.
    Wait....theres other counties besides King, Pierce and Snohomish..??! Well, when you are on as high of a pedistal as WE are....all the rest DO appear a bit tiny....
    Last edited by MattyS; 07-04-2007 at 01:34 AM. Reason: can't forget about snohomish....everybody loves everett..
    The good thing about this job is that we have done so much, with so little, for so long that we can do everything with nothing...... which is what is wrong with this job.
    KTF | DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SSHANK42 View Post
    Did you not get steam burns on your arms where your sleeves end? r were you in a long sleeve shirt? I would guess that you may have had your legs in hot water in which case you would have been burned through long pants as well.

MembersZone Subscriber

We can wear shorts here, within dictated dates (earlier/later is up to the Chief). We also run EMS, so my personal preference is not to wear shorts when I am on the Rescue (Ambulance) just because of the increased risk of bloodborne pathogen/other body fluid exposure. I could always put my bunkers on, but that would get awfully hot on some of those long days...

MembersZone Subscriber

The reason I am against shorts is quite simple. Have you noticed what some of us look like when we wear shorts? It's just not right.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    The reason I am against shorts is quite simple. Have you noticed what some of us look like when we wear shorts? It's just not right.
    Thats why they invented Nair of Men
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Thread Information