Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Milton MA firefighter struck by drunk driver, in critical condition

Milton firefighter struck by a truck while aiding victims in a car accident

MILTON, Mass. -- A firefighter trying to help an accident victim becomes a victim when he's struck in the street.

He is now fighting for his life in the hospital.

Firefighter Antonio Pickens, 44, went to assist one of the drivers involved in a two car accident across from the Milton Fire Engine Company 4 Saturday night.

A black Buick LeSabre heading north towards Boston drove by and struck Pickens in front of numerous firefighters. Once hit, Pickens went over the vehicle and landed in the center lane of Blue Hill Avenue. He suffered massive trauma to his body and head.

Fallon Paramedics transported Pickens to Beth Israel Trauma Center in Boston. Currently, he is in critical condition.

On Sunday, Milton Police officers arrested CW Tolbert, 46, of Stoughton, and charged him with third offense operating under the influence, operating under the influence of liquor and causing serious bodily injury, and negligent operation of a motor vehicle.

He is being held on $5,000 cash bail and will be arraigned Monday, July 2 at the Quincy District Court.

The union local president was in tears at the press conference, tough stuff to watch. I think the news reports mentioned a wife and kids. God bless FF Pickens and his family.

Freaking scumbag.

Sad thing is that in Massachusetts this freaking scumbag will get a slpa on the wrist and serve less than 2 years - if (and that is a BIG if) he is even convicted.

Prayers for the Jake from Milton.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Oh my, my thoughts go out to the injured fellow firefighter and his familiy and to our brother and sister firefighters of the Milton FD.

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

My thoughts are with Firefighter Pickens, his family and the Milton Fire Department as well.

Best wishes for a quick and full recovery, Antonio. Fight hard buddy!
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Thoughts and prayers go out to FF Pickens. Hope all works out for him OK. Frickin drunk drivers.

Forum Member

My thoughts and prayers go out to Firefighter Pickens and his family.

I have personally experienced being struck by a driver under the influence of drugs while working at an accident scene, I know how hard it is to get someone convicted to a long term sentences. The guy who hit me only got a sentence of 4.5 to 9 years.

I keep asking my representatives to push for resolution that makes it harder for these people from getting light sentences.

Quote Originally Posted by Safety33 View Post
    I keep asking my representatives to push for resolution that makes it harder for these people from getting light sentences.

Sadly it won't happen. The legislatures are full of ambulance chasing, dirtbag attorneys who are bribed and in the pocket of the lawyer lobbying groups.

Massachusetts is NOTORIOUSLY LENIENT at punishing DWI offenders. In the past few weeks I can recount 3 stories of DWI operators with at least 5 prior DWI offenses. This is pathetic.

Sadly Jakes, Paramedics, and the public are all endangered and run a high chance of death so that these people can run free after killing or seriously injuring someone. What is truly sad is that you get less time if you hit someone with a car and kill them than if you shoot them. Both are just as premeditated, only a car endangers more people.

We should all step up to the plate and take on your cause Safety33.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by clancyxdogg View Post
    He is being held on $5,000 cash bail....
    Does that amount disgust anyone else here? Really, 5k for not only driving drunk for the ump-teenth time, but you run over someone and nearly kill them? I'm angry to say the least.

I hope the FF makes a full recovery.
    Last edited by Alex1137; 07-02-2007 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Alex1137 View Post
    Does that amount disgust anyone else here? Really, 5k for not only driving drunk for the ump-teenth time, but you run over someone and nearly kill them? I'm angry to say the least.
    Like I said. The state is notoriously lenient. I am disgusted as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    Like I said. The state is notoriously lenient. I am disgusted as well.
    Not playing devils advocate here but, rovoke his license, guess what, the SOB will drive anyway this time without insurance. I dont know what the perfect solution is... perhaps incarcerate him for the duration of his revocation. I guess I'm just jaded, I've seen it multiple times, person with a suspended or revoked license gets in yet another DWI accident and then we show up and see numbnuts get a ticket for driving without a license. WTF.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Maybe they should be forced to wear a beeper tag like you get when under house arrest, then everyone will know you can't drive.

Oh wait that would be in infringement upon someone's sensabilities and they might get hurt feelings or something, and then require years of counselling....

God Speed to a rapid recovery for Brother Pickens.

Best wishes to Brother Perkins.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Quote Originally Posted by Lewiston2Capt View Post
    Not playing devils advocate here but, rovoke his license, guess what, the SOB will drive anyway this time without insurance. I dont know what the perfect solution is... perhaps incarcerate him for the duration of his revocation. I guess I'm just jaded, I've seen it multiple times, person with a suspended or revoked license gets in yet another DWI accident and then we show up and see numbnuts get a ticket for driving without a license. WTF.
    Jail. Let him rot. Then let him rot some more. And anyone who allows the guy to drive their car loses it.

Then again Virginia's new idea of fines of $3,000 plus insurance premium increases, plus court costs, plus...........Make them pay. Garnish wages if necessary.

Default Update from today's Boston Herald......

Freaking courts screwed up and let this scumbag keep his license. Now a guy sits in the hospital on life support. I feel my blood pressure boiling up again..........

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRe...icleid=1009576

RMV chief calls for overhaul: Paperwork flap left repeat drunken driver with license
    By Jessica Fargen
    Boston Herald Health & Medical Reporter

Wednesday, July 4, 2007

The RMV and the courts are investigating an astonishing paperwork foul-up in 2004 that allowed a repeat drunken driver who nearly killed a firefighter last weekend to keep his license, even though it should have been yanked.

The driver, C.W. Tolbert, 46, of Stoughton was allegedly drunk Saturday night when he slammed into a Milton firefighter who was walking to an accident scene next to the fire station. The firefighter, Antonio “Tony” Pickens, a married father of two, is fighting for his life at a Boston hospital.

It’s a tragedy that might have been avoided with better record-keeping and less red tape, said Registrar of Motor Vehicles Anne Collins, adding that the RMV doesn’t know how widespread the problem is.

“We need to look at ways to improve the system,” Collins said. “Even if there’s only one that slipped through the cracks, the consequences are so terrible.”

South Boston District Court, where Tolbert was convicted of his second OUI in 2004, never mailed the paperwork to the RMV, Collins said. Boston Municipal Court is also probing why the paperwork wasn’t sent in 2004, according to courts spokeswoman Charlotte Whiting.

Collins said had they received that notice, they would have suspended Tolbert’s license for two years. Had Tolbert reapplied for his license in August 2006, the newly passed Melanie’s Law would have forced him to install a device in his car that wouldn’t allow it to start if he’d been drinking, she said.

Melanie’s Law requires ignition interlock devices for repeat drunken drivers whose licenses were reinstated as of January 2006. Of 1,921 drivers with the devices, which prevent a car from starting even if a driver has a tiny amount of alcohol in his system, just 66 have “failed out” due to a subsequent violation, the RMV said.

On Monday, when the RMV was finally notified of Tolbert’s 2004 OUI, his license was suspended for two years. On top of that, his license was suspended for another five years because he refused a breath test the night of his arrest, another Melanie’s Law mandate. The law was enacted in memory of Melanie Powell, a 13-year-old Marshfield girl who died in 2003 after being struck by a repeat drunken driver as she walked home.

Meanwhile, Pickens, a 12-year veteran of the Milton fire department, is unconscious and possibly suffered brain damage after the crash. His fellow firefighters may organize a prayer service, blood drive or some other way to help him and his family out, said Lt. Jack Grant, president of the Milton firefighter’s union.

jfargen@bostonherald.com Jessica Van Sack contributed to this report.

Remember the Charleston 9 JTLow3's Avatar

So someone busted for pot would have received a higher bail? Ludicrous.

Forum Member

DaSharkie- Thanks for your support. Everyone should be protected. I am going to try again to see what I can accomplish, even if it is on the county level.

Everyone has probably seen the video of my incident. I should make a copy of it and send it to firefighter close call. Part of the video was shown a few years ago at the Firehouse Expo.

Unfortunately, with the way our communities are growing and the amount of drivers, we (Fire, EMS, Police, Tow operators) are going to be facing an uphill battle.

Just be safe and I will keep you posted.

Thread Information