Forum Member

Default Combat Medical Care in Iraq

So I was watching 60 Minutes last night and watched a re-run report of the work Medics and Corpsmen are doing in IRaq at the CSH, Landstuhl, BAMC, and other facilities for our wounded men and women.

Phenomenal work these guys do and I thought soem of you might be interested. It is a 13 minute piece, but it is nice to know the level of care and commitment these folks are providing. About half of this care to Iraqi's wounded by these scumbag peace-loving homicide bombers.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n2133396.shtml

Click on the video at the top right "A Fighting Chance."
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

DaSHarkie,

I watched that as well. That was a fascinating segment. It was incredible display of American ingenuity and medical advancements at work by our military.
    Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.

IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RoughRider View Post
    DaSHarkie,

I watched that as well. That was a fascinating segment. It was incredible display of American ingenuity and medical advancements at work by our military.
    One of the best offshoots of war (any war) is the medical advancement that comes out of it.

Burn care for the military is all coordinated through Brooke Army Medical Center (BAMC) and all of this has flooded into the civilian medicine. The military was the first to use medical evacuation during Korea and Viet Nam - what we now use. Amazing stuff.

Those flight medics have b@lls bigger than church bells. Amazing what they do in the back of a Blackhawk - although they looked better doing it in a Huey!

Better than a 98% survival rate after being hit. And that Marine LCPL who showed more drive, commitment, courage, and dedication with a lot more optimism than anyone I have ever known...........Damn! I know a lot of people that could use that sort of spirit nowadays.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

the 4-1-4

Stories such as these are truly humbling.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Combat Medical care

Need to watch the segment. There were a couple of pieces on the Baghdad Combat Support Hospital - HBO had one on the 86th CSH from the 101th Abn Div G_d bless them (my old unit) and CNN had a half hour on the 10th CSH from Fort Drum.

I started my career as a Medevac pilot in the Huey. Missed Vietnam (Whew!) Got grounded after a crash and hit the books and made a career change to Army Nurse Corps. Made Desert Shield/Storm as a Surgical Nurse after what I thought was my Commission resignation in 1984. Plumb forgot about the Individual Ready Reserve commitment!

Anyway, we have a couple of Army medic's floating around my department and they really are a special breed. Medical care certainly has changed in the 30 plus years since I first pinned on the Caduceus.

Remember the Charleston 9

Jimmy, RN, FF/EMT
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt. (When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!)

Forum Member

My ship had a HN come aboard for our independent duty corpsman and he had a Purple Heart that he didn't talk about.
    This was in the mid 80s when combat actions were few and far between.
    He did tell us that any corpsman serving with the Marines that didn't earn one wasn't doing his job of ignoring anything that puny Man could devise to keep him from treating the wounded.
    Anyone who goes into combat unarmed is a lot braver than I claim to be.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Combat Medical care

I just watched the video. Very well done. Not at all anti-war preachy like it could have been.
    I can really relate to the CRNA LTC. Heck, I can STILL remember patient names 16 years later. "Give me the strength, SGT so-and-so, Give me the strength."

Be safe, Y'all
    Remember the Charleston 9 and all our lost Brothers and Sisters!

Jimmy, RN-C, FF/EMT
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt. (When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!)

Thread Information