Forum Member

Smile FDNY ff stress study?

Im searching for a text or electronic version of the fdny study related to shorts on duty, if anyone could help I would be greatful. Thanks, stay safe.

Forum Member

I dont think we ever had a study done. It was cheaper for them to give us shorts then to keep giving us pants!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Captnnc View Post
    Im searching for a text or electronic version of the fdny study related to shorts on duty, if anyone could help I would be greatful. Thanks, stay safe.
    Impact of a Design Modification in Modern Firefighting Uniforms on Burn Prevention Outcomes in New York City Firefighters.

Journal of Occupational & Environmental Medicine. 42(8):827-834, August 2000.
    Prezant, David J. MD; Freeman, Katherine DrPH; Kelly, Kerry J. MD; Malley, Kevin S. MA; Karwa, Manoj L. MD; McLaughlin, Mary T. BA; Hirschhorn, Robin BS; Brown, Audrey BA

Abstract:
    Our aim was to determine the impact of three different firefighting uniforms (traditional, modern, and modified modern) on the incidence and severity of thermal burn injuries, the major occupational injury affecting firefighters. Injury data were collected prospectively for the entire New York City Fire Department (FDNY) firefighting force wearing FDNY's traditional uniform (protective over-coat) from May 1, 1993 to August 31, 1993; FDNY's modern uniform (protective over-coat and over-pant) from May 1, 1995 to August 31, 1995; and FDNY's modified modern uniform (short sleeved shirt and short pants, rather than long-sleeved shirt and long pants, worn under firefighter's protective over-clothes) from May 1, 1998 to August 31, 1998. Outcome measures were burn incidence and severity. Adverse outcomes were heat exhaustion and cardiac events. During this 12-month study, 29,094 structural fires occurred. The incidence rate for upper extremity burns was 2341 per 100,000 fires and for lower extremity burns, 2076 per 100,000 fires. With the change from the traditional to modern uniform, the distribution of burns per fire decreased significantly (P = 0.001) for upper extremity burns (86%) and lower extremity burns (93%). With the change from traditional to modern uniform, days lost to medical leave for upper or lower extremity burns decreased by 89%. The majority of burns occurred at the lower arm and mid-leg, and the change to the modern uniform decreased such burns by 87% and 92%. Burn incidence and severity were not significantly affected by the change to the modified modern uniform. The distribution of heat exhaustion or cardiac events per fire was not significantly affected by the change from the traditional to modern uniform, and heat exhaustion was decreased (P < 0.001) by the change to the modified modern uniform. In conclusion, the modern uniform dramatically reduced burn incidence and severity without adverse impact. The modified modern uniform significantly reduced heat exhaustion without significantly affecting thermal protection.

Forum Member

Thumbs up ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

wow....the internet sure is neat.
    IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB View Post
    wow....the internet sure is neat.
    It's a great research tool, but I wouldn't have been able to find the document if I hadn't remembered a few key things from a lecture by Lt. Kevin Malley at FDIC several years ago. His presentation was much more interesting than reading this study. Extremely knowledgeable guy, I think he has since retired?
    Last edited by BackstepFF; 07-04-2007 at 10:28 AM.

Forum Member

We only got shorts after bunker gear. I would rather have to wear pants and 3/4 boots!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    We only got shorts after bunker gear. I would rather have to wear pants and 3/4 boots!
    .....You Mary....
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    I would rather have to wear pants and 3/4 boots!
    Amen........
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

MembersZone Subscriber

Not to beat a dead horse, huh?

Forum Member

Thanks BACKSTEP! That plus the Canadian study was all my Chief needed...stay safe

MembersZone Subscriber

Glad I could help. Hey, if your chief let's you guys have a cooler uniform for the summer months have him my chief a call; ours still wants to see us in the cop-style uniform 24/7/365. Of course, the only heat he experiences is when he walks from his air-conditioned office building out to his air-conditioned SUV in the reserved parking space closest to the building! But, looking at the bright side, they remind us ten times a day on the department radio to stay hydrated.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BackstepFF View Post
    Glad I could help. Hey, if your chief let's you guys have a cooler uniform for the summer months have him my chief a call; ours still wants to see us in the cop-style uniform 24/7/365. Of course, the only heat he experiences is when he walks from his air-conditioned office building out to his air-conditioned SUV in the reserved parking space closest to the building! But, looking at the bright side, they remind us ten times a day on the department radio to stay hydrated.
    Do you even get to wear the pretty silver badge? You'll be my hero if you say yes
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Captnnc

Quote Originally Posted by Captnnc View Post
    Thanks BACKSTEP! That plus the Canadian study was all my Chief needed...stay safe
    Do you happen to have the Canadian study that you could post here. Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DocVBFDE14 View Post
    Do you even get to wear the pretty silver badge? You'll be my hero if you say yes
    Oh yeah. Officers have to wear the pin-on name tag, badge and collar pins. Firemen have to wear the pin-on name tag. Our uniforms are 65% polyester and don't meet NFPA; up until a year or two ago we wore the exact same uniform as some of the cops (they switched.) Oh, and the patches are almost identical. You couldn't do a better job of confusing the citizens if you tried...not that that's too difficult

Thread Information