fire fighters, corrections officers,
    should get paid, and would they do it
    for the same price they want others
    to do it for ???
    by the way....the d.r.o.p. plan
    is self funding, the amount of
    money that is in the fund just like
    insurance takes care of it self.
    employee's inthe drop program continue to work and no tax payer money is used to supplement their retirement.
    additionally at 25 years....
    state retirement plan, if you join the drop, you are actually penalized.
    at 25 yrs = no 3 % hi risk pension is paid by your employer to the fund, you are not moved to a office job or non risky assignment.
    if you decide to retire and take your
    drop money, you pay income tax on it,
    tax money back to the public.....
    cop/ fire fighter take the risk,
    after 25 yrs, get big time tax money
    taken out, but take the risk of being killed, or maimed w.o benifit
    of hi risk....so the cop / firefighter does seem to get screwed....but poor tax payer and jim think we should work for nothing and you compare apples and oranges.....
    todays labor market is very different, hiring private companies
    to do certain kinds of work could be acceptable, if they required no
    back ground checks, drug checks, credit checks, etc....and very minimal training, why not abolish
    the u.s. military and hire
    wachenhut, they can hire wachenhut
    to do the f.b.i, secret service jobs too, hell hire them to do your
    job, may your over paid, which causes prouducts to go up.
    no easy answer, police, fire dept
    personel are leaving so tyhey can afford a house and raise their families, the politicians and quite
    a few elected officials ruined south fla, they need to answer for their oversights.

from ' jim ' sunsentinel reader
    The salary for Davie FFs should be the same as private ambulance paramedics with the same benefits and pension; not the excessive compensation that Davie FFs get now.

I wouldn’t equate a FF in with a policeman as far as danger. The FF’s job is only slightly more dangerous than the Florida average for all occupations. When it comes to national security, those jobs (the military, FBI, Secret Service, and CIA) should not be privatized. However, a firefighter’s job is not a matter of national security; therefore, it can and is privatized successfully in many communities in the US for less than what the taxpayer is charged now.

MembersZone Subscriber

wonder when the last time an AMR medic fell through a roof trying to ventilate it?

I dunno people take things for granted to much, police and fire service. people really just don't know much about them they think all firefighters sit around and watch T.V. all day then go pickup granny and drive her to the hospital, they think cops just pull over speeders in between there donut breaks. They really have no idea what goes on.

do you have a link for that article?

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm not sure where this is coming from. Is the first part a quote from a sheriff? What about the second part? Who is saying that?

Edit: After reading it serveral times, I think I see that the first part is a quote from "sheriff lobo", and someone named "Jim" replied to it with the second part of the message. Right? So confused...
    Last edited by TJParrish; 07-04-2007 at 01:05 AM.

Forum Member

It's probably written by a lifer at *********s Monkeys and Retards that couldn't get a job as a firefighter.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic 61 View Post
    It's probably written by a lifer at *********s Monkeys and Retards that couldn't get a job as a firefighter.
    Thats classic!! LOL

I cant WAIT to use that one!
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

<--- AMR guy right here.

Not saying that I agree with the article but there's no need to bash us private guys especially since we help take the load off of you guys... What i am saying is that because "Jim" did generalize about the role of a FF/Medic compared to that of a private company medic it doesn't mean you guys should generalize as well.

Don't get me wrong i'd leave AMR in a heartbeat to be a county boy anyday

Forum Member

Big Cat Daddy, from what I've read of your prior posts you don't fit into the lifer category, so the shot is not directed at you. You know the Bob Hearts, Tom Baldwins, etc. The "lifers". The guys who hate firefighters. I did my time there too, so I know there is a difference between everyone. Actually there are 3 categories at AMR.

#1 is the previously stated "lifer". These people usually hate firefighters because they couldn't get a job as a firefighter. Most are overweight, have no clue what to do on an emergency call if they happen to run across one because they've been slinging lizards for the last 15 years at $10-$15 an hour. They think everyone should look up to them and that they are better than any medic at the FD. Some even buy badges for their uniforms to feel more important.

#2 is the "lifer" in training. You definitely know them. They have criminal backgrounds, DUIs, psych issues etc and AMR is their whole life. They want to drive 100 mph to a BLS call that an ALS FD unit is already at and their always on the phone with dispatch or a supervisor trying to suck *** and do what ever they can for the company.

#3 is the person actively trying to get a FD job and will only work there for a few months until they get hired.

If you have any more to add, go right ahead.

Big Cat Daddy, from what I've read of your prior posts you don't fit into the lifer category, so the shot is not directed at you. You know the Bob Hearts, Tom Baldwins, etc. The "lifers". The guys who hate firefighters. I did my time there too, so I know there is a difference between everyone. Actually there are 3 categories at AMR.

#1 is the previously stated "lifer". These people usually hate firefighters because they couldn't get a job as a firefighter. Most are overweight, have no clue what to do on an emergency call if they happen to run across one because they've been slinging lizards for the last 15 years at $10-$15 an hour. They think everyone should look up to them and that they are better than any medic at the FD. Some even buy badges for their uniforms to feel more important.

#2 is the "lifer" in training. You definitely know them. They have criminal backgrounds, DUIs, psych issues etc and AMR is their whole life. They want to drive 100 mph to a BLS call that an ALS FD unit is already at and their always on the phone with dispatch or a supervisor trying to suck *** and do what ever they can for the company.

#3 is the person actively trying to get a FD job and will only work there for a few months until they get hired.

So, basically, the wannabes, and the gonnabes?
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Awesome post lol! I agree with you whole heartedly. Especially with number 1. Except the guy i have in mind has been with AMR for 18+ years and is still only a driver...

#2 is another truth, the level of losers, low lifes, and unprofessional people out there is appalling.

Now i'm not going to say i'm the most knowledgeable person nor am i in peak physical condition (though i am training currently for fire) but i am always striving to better myself to reach my goals.

again good post

Thread Information