Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default College of DuPage

I'll be attending College of DuPage and taking Fire Science courses in the fall and was just curious if anyone here attended College of DuPage or knows someone who did and what there thoughts were on the program?

I have heard good things and bad things about Fire Science programs, but I do not know anyone who went through the College of DuPage program.. And was curious as to what to expect.

Thanks

Just curious........ I'm not in the DuPage Program but I'm in a "Fire Service Technology" program and after 2 years I will have an associates program. I actually have learned quite a bit and see myself as a better firefighter, a more knowledgable firefighter for taking the program.

Anywho, my question is what are some of the good things and bad things you've heard?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy171 View Post
    Just curious........ I'm not in the DuPage Program but I'm in a "Fire Service Technology" program and after 2 years I will have an associates program. I actually have learned quite a bit and see myself as a better firefighter, a more knowledgable firefighter for taking the program.

Anywho, my question is what are some of the good things and bad things you've heard?
    I have just heard that some Fire Science programs aren't very good and you won't get much out of it.

I have also heard they're really good and you can learn a lot.

Like I said I have no clue about COD's program - I was curious if anyone has taken it or knows someone that has and what there impressions were.

MembersZone Subscriber

im a COD person and i think it more advanced then some. if you are good at working alone they have some great online classes and classes that meet the needs of the 24/48 person

god luck

MembersZone Subscriber

Default What to expect

I am an instructor for the COD Fire Science Program. I would gladly provide you information in regards to your questions on expectations.

I attempted to send you a message, however you are not able to receive messages at this time. Please provide an email address, and I will assist you as much as possible.

Also, you may call the Fire Science Office.

Thank you, and I hope to see you in the fall!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by livinlrg View Post
    I am an instructor for the COD Fire Science Program. I would gladly provide you information in regards to your questions on expectations.

I attempted to send you a message, however you are not able to receive messages at this time. Please provide an email address, and I will assist you as much as possible.

Also, you may call the Fire Science Office.

Thank you, and I hope to see you in the fall!
    Well this is definitely convenient..

mikealzzz@yahoo.com

thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

I took my emt-basic course at cod last summer. It was great, my instructors were great and definately taught me what I needed to know. A year later and Ive got my paramedic license and they couldnt be happier. I dont know about much of the other fire science courses they offer just because it never interested me to take them but Im sure if you talk to some of the staff and check out ratemyprofessor.com you should be able to figure it out.

Forum Member

I went to COD and its a great program. You get a lot of information not only in the form or information from a book but the instructors are very knowledgable. They give great insight into how its really done realisitically not in the perfect setting that a book uses. Most of my teachers were from Lisle-Woodridge Fire District or Bolingbrook FD and they were all great. Some of the classes are pretty cut and dry but having taken them you can definetly see where it is HAVE to know information not just need to know. basically its a great program and you will really enjoy it.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thanks-

Thank you firefighterox.

Forum Member

I decided to register too late & couldn't get into Intro to Fire Science, because they were all full when I tried to register. (I was on vacation for the past week and a half so I should have obviously registered before I left. Dumb mistake.)

I am now contemplating whether or not to take the Intro to Fire Science online course or not. If not I would have to wait until next semester which is in like December. That sucks bad.

And of course I had to write a ridiculous essay to get into the EMT-B class even though I scored a 95+ on both the reading & writing placement tests. And since I have such great luck & have been running so well at life lately It will not be graded on time even though I took it 10 days ago before I left for vacation and it supposedly only takes a week to grade. Retarded.

The only positive to come out of this is I will get a lot of the ridiculously General Ed classes out of the way this semester. I'm just ****ed I'm not going to be taking 1 class I will enjoy.

(Sorry for the rant)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikealz View Post
    I decided to register too late & couldn't get into Intro to Fire Science, because they were all full when I tried to register. (I was on vacation for the past week and a half so I should have obviously registered before I left. Dumb mistake.)

I am now contemplating whether or not to take the Intro to Fire Science online course or not. If not I would have to wait until next semester which is in like December. That sucks bad.

And of course I had to write a ridiculous essay to get into the EMT-B class even though I scored a 95+ on both the reading & writing placement tests. And since I have such great luck & have been running so well at life lately It will not be graded on time even though I took it 10 days ago before I left for vacation and it supposedly only takes a week to grade. Retarded.

The only positive to come out of this is I will get a lot of the ridiculously General Ed classes out of the way this semester. I'm just ****ed I'm not going to be taking 1 class I will enjoy.

(Sorry for the rant)
    I dont know how you feel about online classes *if you've ever taken one* but they arent all that bad. If you can work independantly and you pick up concepts easily then online intro isnt that bad of an option for you. The online classes worked well for me. As far as the EMT class situation; it doesnt suprise me at all. Back when I took my EMT class they figured the next semester was already full with people who didnt get in during that semester. When you do get to take the class if you have a choice of instructors I would go with Pepich and Caldwell. I dont mean to say that any of the other instructors arent good or dont know what they are doing but they were my teachers and i thought they did an excellent job preparing us for what we were really going to see. Also with EMT class, dont necessarily expect a basic course. They do a lot of "enhancment" which they tell you what you need to know but then they tell you "if you go to medic school this is what you really need to know". They did an excellent job of teaching and relating it to the real world of EMS.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterox View Post
    I dont know how you feel about online classes *if you've ever taken one* but they arent all that bad. If you can work independantly and you pick up concepts easily then online intro isnt that bad of an option for you. The online classes worked well for me. As far as the EMT class situation; it doesnt suprise me at all. Back when I took my EMT class they figured the next semester was already full with people who didnt get in during that semester. When you do get to take the class if you have a choice of instructors I would go with Pepich and Caldwell. I dont mean to say that any of the other instructors arent good or dont know what they are doing but they were my teachers and i thought they did an excellent job preparing us for what we were really going to see. Also with EMT class, dont necessarily expect a basic course. They do a lot of "enhancment" which they tell you what you need to know but then they tell you "if you go to medic school this is what you really need to know". They did an excellent job of teaching and relating it to the real world of EMS.
    Thanks for the advice.

I ended up getting into the Intro to Fire Science class & don't have to take it online. I'm kinda glad, because I have never taken an online course and didn't know what to expect and would rather take it in an actual classroom.

Forum Member

i saw today that there was an opening in one of the classes. Is schultz the teacher?? If it is I had him for apparatus last spring and he was a good teacher. He has a lot of experience and isnt afraid to share it; but then again the rest of the staff is that way too.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterox View Post
    i saw today that there was an opening in one of the classes. Is schultz the teacher?? If it is I had him for apparatus last spring and he was a good teacher. He has a lot of experience and isnt afraid to share it; but then again the rest of the staff is that way too.
    No, Schultz is not the teacher.. Rich Stoehrmann is. Have you had him?

I just got done w/ my first class a few hours ago. Stoehrmann seems like a cool guy, good personality, etc.. I think it will be a fun class and also ridiculously easy. With how he says he grades it will be almost impossible not to get an A in the class.

Only bad thing of course is the male to female ratio in the class.

Forum Member

yeah i've had stoehrmann before. A couple times actually. He is a very good teacher and is always more than happy to tell you about his last vacation. Yes your assumption about grades is correct its very hard to get anything other than a A. as far as the male:females go; you'll find out very quickely that almost every class is that way. the only exception to that rule is generally emt class. that was roughly 33.3 female and the rest male. all the other classes i think i could count on one hand the number of females. Listen to stoehrmann and keep your nose in the book and you will learn a lot and you'll have fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikealz View Post
    No, Schultz is not the teacher.. Rich Stoehrmann is. Have you had him?

I just got done w/ my first class a few hours ago. Stoehrmann seems like a cool guy, good personality, etc.. I think it will be a fun class and also ridiculously easy. With how he says he grades it will be almost impossible not to get an A in the class.

Only bad thing of course is the male to female ratio in the class.

Forum Member

Do any of you guys know what kinda credits they give you if you already have your FFII, hazmat ops, fire and arson investigator? I'm looking at oakton or cod.

MembersZone Subscriber

I, too, have heard good things about the program at COD. That being said...do not take any of the Friday/Saturday courses at the Westmont campus. They are the same classes as in the FO I series and often have Fire Science student enrolled.

These courses are a colossal waste of time. Most of the instructors read from the powerpoint and seemed to be in a hurry to get out of there. Hey, I like breezing through a course as much as anyone, but I expected a lot more from a Fire Officer course. I quit their FO I curriculum and took the rest of the classes through Southern Kane and NIPSTA.

Just my experience.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NickIF View Post
    Do any of you guys know what kinda credits they give you if you already have your FFII, hazmat ops, fire and arson investigator? I'm looking at oakton or cod.
    I believe FFII is 12 credit hours. If you call the Fire Science director he will be able to tell you. Contact Darryl Haefner at (630) 942-2107. Tell him what you have and what they will give you for credits.

Forum Member

He is a very good teacher and is always more than happy to tell you about his last vacation.
    Just had to hear about his Vegas trip - lol.. I guess he saw Ludacris & had no idea who he was & thought his name was "ridiculous" when trying to explain who he saw to the class.

if you meet a kid named Alex Jeanu... Your in for a trip...

Thread Information