Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Food For Thought Or Job Security?

At noon hour today, I was just stepping into the front foyer of the Embassy when Engine 3 went roaring westbound on Pennsylvania Ave. Once I got outside, I could hear at least one other set of sirens, although direction was a bit tough to determine.

Anyhow, I got to the intersection of 9th St and Pennsylvania Ave NW, right under the FBI Building, and there is E3 and Medic 3 in the middle of the median. And big crowd of people standing there talking with at least 3 cops.

"Hmmm" I says to Myself. (and I knew it was Myself, cuz I recognized the voice ) I'll betcha it was a pedestrian related incident. And I'll betcha dollars to donuts (only cuz the cops were there) that the pedestrian was walking across on a red light AGAIN (or is that still?).

You'd figure that with a very regular report of at least twice a month where pedestrians get hit, hurt and or killed that people would think before crossing the street. Especially since everyone drives like they WALK. Or is that walk like they DRIVE? Head down, music up, arguing with someone on the cell phone.

On my way back from the bank, I noticed that they had three cops directing pedestrians at the intersection. Fat lot of good that would do. Kinda like locking the barn door after the horses have run.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

HMMMMM....sounds very familiar. I live near a college town and in the campus area it is very similar situation. The only difference is the car vs pedestrian crashes are very rare. The students hustle between classes and step out into traffic without regard to lights, crosswalks and on coming traffic. People drive their cars with blinders and think of only their destination and not the surroundings. Then throw into the mix, bicyclists who pedal as if there are no traffic laws applying to them. But as I said before, very few pedetrians or bikes get hit....I guess its luck or something that there isn't large numbers of peds vs cars or cars vs bikes. Anyway, just my two cents worth. Just so ya know, you're not alone in the distracted driver and oblivious walker department.

Mmm.. yes, bicyclists. Speaking of one, while I was at the light, admiring E3 and kinda wishing I was riding with them instead of working here, a bike rolls past me, on the left, turns right into ONE WAY traffic, the WRONG way, and kinda wobbles along at first. There were three cars coming down the lane he just turned into....

All I could do was hold my breath............ but fortunately no CRUNCH.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Like you said job security....if people didn't do stupid things the job would be pretty dull

My town decided to put these signs up at most intersections mentioning that you are to Yield to pedestrians. The idea being, if someone is partially in the crossing, you let them finish. Problem is, people believe it gives them the right to just walk out in front of traffic.

The signs are working. # of pedestrians hit by vehicles continues to increase.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Yeah, the small village where I live put those on the US Hwy that runs through town and so far their primary role has been target practice for semis. The PD picks up the mangled remains almost daily. Yet the village keeps buying new signs....

DC has those too. Sadly though, I think drivers feel that it is applicable to the indicated intersection. Whereas the pedestrians seem to think it applies to all intersections.

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Problem is, people believe it gives them the right to just walk out in front of traffic.

The signs are working. # of pedestrians hit by vehicles continues to increase.
    You see that too, huh? I'm glad it's not just me. One church along my usual commute has even installed -- get this -- little flag stands on each side of the street with little orange construction flags for people to carry as they cross the street.

Judging by some of the pedestrians I've run into at that particular crosswalk (some almost literally), they appear to believe that the little flags have magical powers of protection and will insure a safe crossing even if the bearer jumps out in front of traffic with no warning whatsoever...

What happened to "Look both ways before crossing the street"?

Right of way is all well and good but when it comes to car versus pedestrian the car inevitably wins.
    Last edited by DeputyMarshal; 07-03-2007 at 02:34 PM.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Default Magic Flags???!!!!

I've seen the "magic flags" pop up in several communities in southern WI and they have created the same pedestrians with a bullet proof or should I say automobile proof mentality. I agree, whatever happened to look both ways and make sure no one is coming?????

Like Ron White says.....

Can't fix stupid.

Job security for all.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Darn bicyclists around here think that they're God's gift to everything and should be immune from traffic laws and such.

It should say a lot when the whole county has a bike helmet law, but the city doesn't.

Between the taxis, buses, and the bikers (pedal-type) - our days are pretty full.
    Be safe y'all!
    IACOJ Animal Control
    Ladder 8
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    Can't fix stupid.
    Sure ya can......

BANG!

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    Can't fix stupid.
    and with all this talk about signs, i cant resist this one:

heres your sign

ahh i swear as the days go by, the people get dumber.
    First in, Last out, nobody left behind.....

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............... ...........

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    Judging by some of the pedestrians I've run into at that particular crosswalk (some almost literally), they appear to believe that the little flags have magical powers of protection and will insure a safe crossing even if the bearer jumps out in front of traffic with no warning whatsoever...

What happened to "Look both ways before crossing the street"?

Ya' think those folks are believing in devine intervention??....
    Last edited by hwoods; 07-05-2007 at 06:48 AM.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information