Forum Member

Question Advertising on Apparatus

Can anyone help me on issues regarding private advertising on municiple apparatus? How did you go about requesting funds to do so? Does it or has it worked for your dept? Any negatives out there?

Our dept is looking into offering a large orthopedic company to advertise their logo on a rescue pump if they assist us with the funding of such. There are several companies in the area and this may spur some of them to join us with our funding problems and gain advertising at the same time.

Any ideas would be helpful! Thanks in advance Brothers and Sisters!!!

Forum Member

Default Advert

Our Mutual Aid coalition is setting up a combo ICP/Rehab vehicle which consists of an IHC diesel double cab chassis with an air conditioned and heated van box behind. We have approached both local and nationwide businesses about helping us fund this vehicle. In exchange for grants of cash or appropriate merchandise we are offering to place a reflective message advertising the donor's business on one location on the vehicle which is decided on a first come, first served basis. Characters will all be reflective so we will also be adding to overall conspicuity with each donor's name. Character color is not too important to us but height and overall message length have some constraints. So far, we have had all positive responses from businesses about this.

Forum Member

Sorry, but I have to disagree. Putting advertising on an emergency vehicle is prostituition and an insult to all of those who have fallen in the line of duty.

You want advertising on a vehicle? Go drive a bus or taxi.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

I'll second Gonzo's reply

You want to advertise, advertise with safety messages i.e. smoke detectors save lives etc. or your website address, nothing to overwhelming though

Show that you are proud of your profession, not that you want people to "Eat at Joe's"

Ryan

Forum Member

Can't you see it now as you are responding to a MVA with your big rescue unit and on the side you have the advertisement for "Smokey Joes Bar and Grill" or the slogan "This Buds for you!". At first I thought that it might now be a bad idea to help departments that are struggling with a litte needed fundage, but I can see the other side of this coming. If we allow or start putting advertisements on our apparatus whats next, Helmets, Turn-out gear? The list goes on. So for my .02 I say no way to the advertisements!

MembersZone Subscriber

Like ponebutton is putting together, we also have a reconfigured former transit bus which has been converted into a mobile command/rehab unit. It was partially funded by several area businesses. On the back of the unit, off to one side, under the heading "Supported by:", in 1" lettering, is a list of all of the entities which supported the creation of the rig, namely five local FD associations which use it, a major local industrial manufacturer, the transit agency which donated the bus, and a small handful of other local business contributors. I don't see this list as any kind of an "advertisement", but as a deserved "thank you". Unlike the department markings and safety stripe, it is not reflective or particularly attention-getting.

That is about the limit. Anything else would be, as Gonzo said, prostitution and a violation of many values we hold dear.
    Last edited by ElectricHoser; 07-03-2007 at 10:23 PM.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

MembersZone Subscriber

Some prostitutes are crack whores and do it to feed a habit.

Some perhaps, do it to feed their children... (Yeah, I know, its a stretch.)

We're well enough funded that I don't think we'll ever have advertising of a commercial nature on our rigs. However, if you don't have anything, drive a 30 year old engine, and have no way to fund something safer, I say do what YOU have to do. Perhaps you could limit the length of time the advertisement will stay on the rig. I dare say some of us critical of finding alternative funding are the same folks admonishing people to upgrade old and unsafe rigs.

The graphics wouldn't be that hard to remove after a given period of time. The rigs for the company that I sell for clean up really nice after all of the graphics are taken off at the end of their demo season.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

How many of your Chief's cars still have a sticker that says "XYZ Chevrolet" or "ABC Ford"... That's advertising

How many people allow the manufacturers to stick their Emblems all over the piece? How's that for saying "You didn't buy Pierce?"
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

Default Europe

These pictures are courtesy of martinm, obviously from Europe (specifically the UK). Anyway, I don't really take offense at these as they are firefighter equipment manufacturing companies and government service.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by nmfd615 View Post
    Can anyone help me on issues regarding private advertising on municiple apparatus? How did you go about requesting funds to do so? Does it or has it worked for your dept? Any negatives out there?

Our dept is looking into offering a large orthopedic company to advertise their logo on a rescue pump if they assist us with the funding of such. There are several companies in the area and this may spur some of them to join us with our funding problems and gain advertising at the same time.

Any ideas would be helpful! Thanks in advance Brothers and Sisters!!!
    Sorry, as an engineer I prefer to drive a fire truck, not a bus.

Forum Member

..........i dont see a problem with it if it was say something like an old folks home or a community college............. maybe a statement on the side like...

"proudly serving the ******* retirement community home" and then thier small emblem............

..........but not a bar or just any business..........

do what you have to do, if the funds can't be had other ways.....just keep it tasteful................ dont get stuck on the pride trip i see others advocating and not have an apparatus to serve in..........

MembersZone Subscriber

It is not a pride trip if you have to get to the point of selling your credibility, by having banners on the side of the truck like a taxi or bus for some law firm, local hotel, lottery, or snack foods.

Advertising is tantamount to endorsement and could in some cases even imply affiliation. What are you willing to be affiliated with, literally or by association? Also, think of the potential pressure on a fire inspector when on the premises of a "sponsor".

Some of you guys, while contributing under the best of intentions and goodwill, are not seeing the very big picture that you would like us anti-sponsorship people to see.

If your local resources do not otherwise provide adequate funding, then give them what they pay for, while watching out for #1 first. It will either be what they expect and they won't complain, or after a few noteworthy smoking craters are formed (and the underfunded agency tactfully takes their case with OSHA/NFPA rules to the people), they may see the error of their ways and start providing support.

Proceed with caution.
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

MembersZone Subscriber

Is this one so offensive?

Yes, you can't see it in this attachment, but the blurb on the rear most compartment on each side says "This fire truck has been provided by your friendly neighborhood software company" in black print, with the company logo in red below it. Seems the company built a large parking deck, and this was needed to access it.

The whole thing could have said the brand name as far as I'm concerned.

And no, it wasn't Microsoft.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by npfd801 View Post
    Looks to be about the same visual impression as the writing on our rehab bus. And, like our rehab bus, the main benefactor of your rig is the one that made it possible. I see this kind of low-key nod as a very different issue than general advertising and logo such as the outfit mentioned in the first post.

Perhaps the original poster would like to elaborate on exactly what kind of exposure the orthopedic company or other potential advertisers are looking for. At least assure us that we're not talking about bus-sized side panels or something....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by npfd801 View Post

Yes, you can't see it in this attachment, but the blurb on the rear most compartment on each side says "This fire truck has been provided by your friendly neighborhood software company" in black print, with the company logo in red below it. Seems the company built a large parking deck, and this was needed to access it.

The whole thing could have said the brand name as far as I'm concerned.

And no, it wasn't Microsoft.
    Is that Verona's new rig? My mom works in Verona, and said they were getting one.
    -Bozz

Air Force Medic

MembersZone Subscriber

Yep, that's Verona's new rig. I shot it August of last year out back of one of Fitchburg's stations.

Epic bought the rig.

Forum Member

Default Some departments doing it

MembersZone Subscriber

We needed a new Combi-tool for the Squad. We had funds for it, but our dealer said he would give us one if we put a small Logo with the phrase "powered by *****" on the side. The company was for it since it would save a few bucks, but the powers to be said otherwise. Oh well!!

Forum Member

The last 3 or 4 Chief's vehicles have been donated by a local business. We put some acknowledgement of that somewhere on each of the vehicles. I have no acknowledging a donation, but as a fund raiser? No thanks.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

The rumour is we got a "hefty" discount off the cost of our new PSS100 BA sets for having the manufacturers log on the trucks. The other is an advert for a council department which we don't like, but were a council fire service so dont't have a choice.
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Forum Member

Unhappy

I'm actually sorry to have even brought this conversation up! There is no reason for getting upset over this thread. As far as bus sized panels or "eat at joes" advertisements, this is not our intent but most of you know that. We are just looking for ideas and maybe to have a round reflective logo 6 inches in diameter on the rear of the truck. But to be called a prostitute for doing whatever it takes to get the job done right and safe...? Our first out ladder, a 2006 Pierce 100' platform is in the shop in Wisconsin, our second out engine a (1986 Pierce Arrow) was just taken out of service for a rusted out frame. We are left to provide coverage with our only engine left which is a 1992 Pierce arrow. We are responding to fires with career guys in grasstrucks and rescues from one of our two stations!!! We cover about 60 sq miles and 38000 people. We are a career dept with about 1300 calls!

Yes, it sounds like the upper management may be lacking, but our new Chief just took over last July and was handed our poorly shaped budget. He is working on funding but trying to think outside the box at the same time! He is doing the best he can with what he was given. Yes our old chief screwed us but we cant change that!

We have three very large orthopedic companies in our area that are knocking down record profits. One of which just recieved a ten year tax abatement! Why not approach them to help us help them?

By the way, those of you that are thinking "give em what they pay for", you need to take off your badge! Why did you join the fire service in the first place or have you forgotten? What does your family pay for fire coverage? Are you willing to let something burn down because they didnt "pay" for it? I'm NOT! Politicians control budgets and taxes, not home and business owners! When did some of you get to set your own homeowners tax rate? What ever it takes, remember?

Why dont some of you take some of your misdirected anger out on the "color of apparatus" debate or "red vs blue lights" threads? I was just asking for advise from Brother firefighters, not asking to be crusified because of a thought!

Forum Member

Default Sorry, can't resist....

Our first out ladder, a 2006 Pierce 100' platform is in the shop in Wisconsin, our second out engine a (1986 Pierce Arrow) was just taken out of service for a rusted out frame. We are left to provide coverage with our only engine left which is a 1992 Pierce arrow.
    Sounds like you should stop drinking the Kool Aide, save some money, and get some reliable trucks.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Sounds like you should stop drinking the Kool Aide, save some money, and get some reliable trucks.
    In my best, politically incorrect accent, "OH NO YOU DIDN'T!"

Forum Member

I have heard of departments, mutual aid groups, county, etc that have started their first hazmat or heavy rescue unit, advertise on the new apparatus. I remember one that had a area on the back of the truck that said something like "Hand tools and equipment provided by the following donors". I don't see a problem with this as long as it is done tastefully, everyone gets equal billing (same font size, color, etc) and doesn't take away from the safe operation of the vehicle. As every commnuity has to fight for every dollar these days, thinking out side the box is a great idea.

Is this any different then when departments (or city hall) has a dedication plaque placed on the truck saying who the mayor was or the fire commisioner was at the time. in a way it's providing for free "political" advertising. Just my two cents.

Forum Member

Ive seen it around here for years, and dont have a problem with it. Our antique pumper that we re-furbished a couple years ago has SMALL writing on the rear that gives credit to businesses for donations and assistance with the project.

Now, a bus sized board with "Eat at Joes" would be something completely different.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Thread Information