MembersZone Subscriber

Default is your dept are going to FF paramedics?

how many fire departments over the last few years are now requiring their FF to be a paramedic and not just a Basic?

Forum Member

Almost all of North East Ohio is all medic. You have to be a medic to either get hired or not long after.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Fairfax does not require everyone on the Engine to be a paramedic, but there is a requirement for at least one FF/PM onboard for min staffing.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Our entire department are Intermediates. The ambulance service is also staffed with Intermediates. The only Paramedics we have out here are on the helicopter. We will be Paramedics once the ambulance service gets the funds to train there members to a Paramedic level.

Forum Member

The last FF/EMT we hired was around 10 years ago. Both Chiefs, a few Capt's are medics. Medics are the majority of the Dept, something like 75%. We try to make every truck ALS, usually do, and two medics on both crap wagons. The other ambo is out on a rectal bleed right now!

Medic is required to apply at our place. It takes way too long (2 years) and is too expensive (like $5,000) to send people after they are hired. Plus, there is no gurantee they will pass it or stay with our dept. afterward. We try to hire people that can hit the ground running from day one, on the ambo anyway.
    Last edited by FHandz15; 07-05-2007 at 02:07 PM.

Forum Member

Nope, the firefighters here only need to be first responders, but our cops have medics, they run most of the medical calls too. An engine only responds for vehicle accidents with possible extrictation needs, fire or hazmat. Fire personnel will respond with an ambulance if LE is tied up on another call but that is fairly unusual.

MembersZone Subscriber

My combination department requires ALL employees to be paramedics, including the fire chief.

MembersZone Subscriber

Depends on areas.

To be hired, none here require, though it does look good on your behalf.

Nofolk Fire Rescue is the only all Intermediate or above department. Their rookies have "x" amount of time to pick up EMT-I or P after being hired. They rotate around the bus if there house has one. And honestly, I only know of maybe two Norfolk fire houses without an ambulance.

Virginia Beach, there has to be one EMT-I or P in the station everyday. The medic can be on the ladder or engine. Policy states engines, but with minimum staffing throughout, sometimes they wind up on ladders.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

We require at least EMT for hire. We replace on a position basis, EMT for EMT and Medic for Medic. The county funds us 16 medics (5 per shift and 1 M-F EMS supervisor) through the EMS contract.
    Last edited by Dave1983; 07-05-2007 at 11:07 PM.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1983 View Post
    We require at least EMT for hire. We replace on a position basis, EMT for EMT and Medic for Medic. The county funds us 16 medics (5 per shift and 1 M-F EMS supervisor) through the EMS contract.
    I hate when departments hire medics in FF EMT slots.

Florida Boy!

Missouri and Colorado but from the East Coast!

Hmmmmmmmm???? are you kidding??? for a few bucks more per day you can get a FF/P or save a few bucks and get a FF/EMT, the IAFF now backs it. Coming soon to a FD near you: FD Paramedic transport.
    Last edited by wakehead; 07-06-2007 at 11:49 AM.
    There is Life outside the Firehouse!

Some Guy

Nope and we most likey never will.
    This space for rent

MembersZone Subscriber

No!

Ftm-ptb

MembersZone Subscriber

I dont know FFFred... once Bloomberg realizes he can save money by making the FDNY, who "dont do anything" anyway and have them transport pts during their "downtime", the old ways will be a thing of the past.

I hope people can recognize sarcasm.... only problem was the first line wasnt being sarcastic

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BKDRAFT View Post
    Paramedics are EMTs.

And there is not a single study that justifies a Paramedic on every fire truck.

Yet there are numerous recent, solid studies showing a tremendous deteriation in skills proficiency of providers when there is an area saturated with ALS providers.

But why would we want to introduce facts into an argument.

Depends on the area in general. Here in North Carolina there are but a handful of Paramedic staffed fire departments. In the North East there is a hodgepodge of it. Usually it is just a percentage of folks that hired as Paramedics because there is only enough budget for X number of Paramedics.

Sadly more and more departments are moving this way. Not necessarily for the better either.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Banned

Whatever happened to fire fighters being just fire fighters. Next thing you know they will want then to mow grass too.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HotTrotter View Post
    Whatever happened to fire fighters being just fire fighters. Next thing you know they will want then to mow grass too.
    Dude...just STFU!!!
    IAFF

MembersZone Subscriber

(Laughing at Snowball)

Anyway, in this area the career departments do not require medics but for the most part, that is the trend. Eventually everyone around my area will be FF/Medic for the entire departments.

Like said above, sadly this is the trend, for the better or worse...?
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

We only require EMT at this time, but who knows... Our Fire dept. use to run EMS here until taken over by the two hospitals they then formed/sold to a private service... After this happened we would run a Engine on all EMS calls,but that has gone to point that we only run on Codes...

Jason

Forum Member

Our EMS requirement for full-time personnel is EMT.

That being said, currently our Assistant Chief, who is our paid chief officer (Chief and Deputy Chief are volunteer positions) is a paramedic and 2 of our 3full-time firefighters are completing thier paramedic class this fall.

It would not surprise me that in the near future, the department may require any full-time hires to take and complete paramedic within a period of time after hire.

All volunteers that work part-time day and relief shifts must also be EMT. First responder or above is required for officers.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    And there is not a single study that justifies a Paramedic on every fire truck.
    Maybe, but when all your rigs are ALS units by contract, and under the laws of the state you need at least one Medic to function as an ALS unit, you have Medics on every rig.

Good or bad, thats the way it is here...

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BKDRAFT View Post
    Me too. We used to have a Chief that would only hire Medics. But hes gone and hires are done as they should be, position for position.

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wakehead View Post
    Coming soon to a FD near you: FD Paramedic transport.
    Not in my neck of the woods. Not interested one bit. The FDs have been offered transport here twice in the last 20 years and have responded with a resounding "no thanks" both times. With "help" from the IAFF locals of course.

We are VERY happy doing our ALS first response, thank you very much...

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1983 View Post
    Maybe, but when all your rigs are ALS units by contract, and under the laws of the state you need at least one Medic to function as an ALS unit, you have Medics on every rig.

Good or bad, thats the way it is here...

Uh huh. But I wonder of skills proficiency. And the notion of initiating care and then having someone else take over transport - then taking over responsibility for your actions and intervention seems very unnerving to me.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Rabble rouser

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Fairfax does not require everyone on the Engine to be a paramedic, but there is a requirement for at least one FF/PM onboard for min staffing.
    Although it is true that Fairfax County does not require all new hires to be ALS, those who have a NR-I or NR-P card in hand and are given preference in hiring, start just less than $5,000 more per year (18-1 for Firefighter/EMT vs 18-3 for FireMedic) than Firefighter/EMTs.
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Thread Information