Forum Member

Default FF Shoots People For Fireworks

Off duty FF shoots people for using fire works.

(7/05/07 - CLEVELAND, OH) - A neighbor apparently angry about fireworks at a noisy Fourth of July party shot three people to death early Thursday and wounded two others, police said.

Terrance Hough Jr., a 35-year-old off-duty firefighter, was arrested in connection with the shootings, police spokesman Lt. Thomas Stacho said.

No charges had been filed Thursday morning because police were still gathering evidence and interviewing witnesses, Stacho said. There was no phone listing for Hough's address.

Police had received a number of complaints in recent years about loud parties, fireworks and drag racing connected to the house where the victims were shot, Stacho said. Some complaint calls came from Hough's address, but no one called police about the party Thursday night.

The neighbors were throwing a party when two men and a woman, all in their 20s, were shot to death shortly after midnight, Stacho said. He said another man was shot in the elbow and a woman was wounded in the hand.

A police officer who lives nearby heard the shooting and arrested Hough, Stacho said. He said a handgun believed to have been used in the shootings was among a dozen guns found at the home.

The area of neat ranch homes overlooking the industrial Cuyahoga River valley is popular among firefighters and police officers who are required to live in the city.

Near Seattle, another man was shot during an argument at a fireworks celebration and died after aid workers trying to help him felt threatened by a hostile crowd, authorities said.

More than 100 people were present when the two men began arguing around 11:30 p.m. Wednesday in a parking lot in Skyway, an unincorporated area between Seattle and Renton, Wash. Paramedics called after the shooting found the crowd so threatening, they had to quickly take the wounded man out to continue CPR, said David Nelson, a spokesman for county Fire District 20.

Sheriff's Detective Bob L. Conner said it was unclear whether moving the man before continuing CPR was a factor in his death. King County sheriff's deputies were searching for the suspect.
    http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...rld&id=5452187
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

MembersZone Subscriber

well... you know, everyone has had that pesky neighboor that keeps you up every once in a while doing something stupid. Maybe the man just could not take it anymore?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post
    well... you know, everyone has had that pesky neighboor that keeps you up every once in a while doing something stupid. Maybe the man just could not take it anymore?

LOL what gave that impression
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

MembersZone Subscriber

Sometimes it does seem as if the law enforcement agencies do very little to help us wih those annoyances around where we live.......still, this was wrong.

It will be interesting to hear what sort of stressful scene he may have been exposed to before this event.......as a firefighter, I am sure he is stressed enough day to day.

Forum Member

It will be interesting to hear what sort of stressful scene he may have been exposed to before this event.......as a firefighter, I am sure he is stressed enough day to day.
    Without me making any comments one way or another, I'd like people to compare this to the thread where the grandmother of the kid shot by a 71 y/o marine was berated for making excuses about her grandson.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

Anyone know where he was stationed?
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Banned

Another reason for doing background checks and psych test....

MembersZone Subscriber

Another reason for doing background checks and psych test....

A monkey could do it....

hell I know. I did it

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    Without me making any comments one way or another, I'd like people to compare this to the thread where the grandmother of the kid shot by a 71 y/o marine was berated for making excuses about her grandson.
    I am not sure if your comment was directed towards mine in some way, but I'll clarify. I forgot to mention in the comment that there could have been a failure on the part of his department to properly administer a CISD after a troublesome response, which may have led to a "break down' of sorts. I would not be surprised to see this as a potential judicial defense.

Forum Member

If he were a plumber. an accountant or an IT professional.. would it make the national news?

I don't think so...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Question How old is "kids"?

Just a couple of questions--in the comments on the video a person refers to "Children being shot" then goes on to say they were 20yrs old.How old would you have to be, to regard them as adults? And yes, I realise a 60yr old can be the child of a 90yr old

If the referred 20yr olds are children --what would you address the Explorer/Cadet faction as? Babies?
    And still on the 20yr old children--how many servicemen-sorry servicechildren- are in the firing line in a "hot" area as we speak?

Tell you one thing if the alleged gunman was on my watch I would never take his car parking spot
    Last edited by Tooanfrom; 07-05-2007 at 09:02 PM.
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
    Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tooanfrom View Post
    Just a couple of questions--in the comments on the video a person refers to "Children being shot" then goes on to say they were 20yrs old.How old would you have to be, to regard them as adults? And yes, I realise a 60yr old can be the child of a 90yr old

If the referred 20yr olds are children --what would you address the Explorer/Cadet faction as? Babies?
    And still on the 20yr old children--how many servicemen-sorry servicechildren- are in the firing line in a "hot" area as we speak?

Tell you one thing if the alleged gunman was on my watch I would never take his car parking spot

14 years old

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    If he were a plumber. an accountant or an IT professional.. would it make the national news?

I don't think so...
    Some one shooting someone over fireworks on the Forth of July? Damn right it would still make the news, only difference would be that the perp's job might not be listed. It would still make the national news, we just would not care and would just mark it up as another kook a**hole, but here he is one of OUR kook a**holes, so we take a little more notice.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

The latest was just on the news here. He was an 11 year veteran. The one neighbor was on the tv saying that he couldn't believe it was someone from the safety forces. The innocent victims include his wife and children.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Nice job mdd2121 on acquiring the audio. WOW!!!! I'm surprised it was released so soon. I'm sure his wife and kid(s) need the union's support right now until everything is unraveled.

Forum Member

i love how he has to be an off duty firefighter, not just a regular guy who got ****ed at some kids. By that i mean they label him as a firefighter even though the subject has no relation to that. Retarded how the news operates sometimes ain't it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mihlrad View Post
    Retarded how the news operates sometimes ain't it.
    This has been discussed a thousand times. Like it or not, firefighters are public figures held to a higher standard of public trust. When a firefighter screws up -- on or off the job -- you can always expect the press to mention somewhere that s/he's a firefighter. Any reporter who didn't make mention of ti wouldn't be a very good reporter.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

I don't think so...
    I totally agree chief.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mdd2121 View Post
    33's house. West 117th Street and Linnett Avenue

911 calls - http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2007/07/fireman.mp3
    As much as I hate to see this happen to anyone I just breathed a sigh of relief as I have ridden with another Cleveland company and I knew that none of those guys would do that, but was still worried nonetheless.

Forum Member

Ya, right, we never see news stories about murders unless they are fire fighters.

That's right, don't be upset that another "human" took the lives of 3 other human being. Just be upset they mention he was a fire fighter.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Default Sorry to see this happen but....

A fireman that is alledged to have shot and killed 3 people IS news.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't think so...
    Did it actually make the national news? It seems to me that this was a local story that was posted here.

Chief I have to disagree. Fire fighters are (and should be) held to a higher standard of conduct than plumbers, accountants or IT Professionals. It SHOULD be news when they commit crimes as heinous as this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Did it actually make the national news? It seems to me that this was a local story that was posted here.

Chief I have to disagree. Fire fighters are (and should be) held to a higher standard of conduct than plumbers, accountants or IT Professionals. It SHOULD be news when they commit crimes as heinous as this.
    Yes, George it at least made it to CNN or one of the cable networks. I saw the local reporter talking to the anchor saying that the neighborhood was a choice for many firefighters and police officers to live. According to the same reporter, an off duty LEO, who lived 4-5 houses down, disarmed the person.

Forum Member

I cannot stand it that news outlets feel it necessary to include our profession, as well as Police Officers, etc in their headlines every time some knucklehead screws up. It is done to sell stories, newspapers, and in general to peak more interest in a story that many would probably otherwise pay much less attention to. What do you think sells more papers, or captures more viewers; FF charged with multiple homicide, or House Painter charged with multiple homicide?

Now on the flipside, we as professionals are aware of the way the media sensationalizes stories for their gain. We should conduct ourselves accordingly and avoid situations that will portray ourselves, our families, our departments, and our professions in a poor light. Like it or not, we are under a microscope, and are expected to behave as the professionals we are. The occasional loose cannon is going to be found in every profession, it just has more shock value to society when it comes from one such as ours. After all, we are entrusted to help our community, not hurt it!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by callaway75 View Post
    I cannot stand it that news outlets feel it necessary to include our profession, as well as Police Officers, etc in their headlines every time some knucklehead screws up. It is done to sell stories, newspapers, and in general to peak more interest in a story that many would probably otherwise pay much less attention to. What do you think sells more papers, or captures more viewers; FF charged with multiple homicide, or House Painter charged with multiple homicide?

Now on the flipside, we as professionals are aware of the way the media sensationalizes stories for their gain. We should conduct ourselves accordingly and avoid situations that will portray ourselves, our families, our departments, and our professions in a poor light. Like it or not, we are under a microscope, and are expected to behave as the professionals we are. The occasional loose cannon is going to be found in every profession, it just has more shock value to society when it comes from one such as ours. After all, we are entrusted to help our community, not hurt it!
    Dog bites boy is not news, boy bites dog is news. Why? Because one is the norm and expected, the other is out of the norm. It is not normal for a person in a trusted position in the community to commit a crime, therefore when they do do something wrong it is news. it is not sensationalizeing, it is doing their job. It is not showing off to bust out every window in a house to ventilate or provide egress even though most of them won't ever be used for egress and not allthe windows are needed for ventilation, but it is doing our job to provide the options and the redundancy. It is there job to provide the facts that might be of interest to the community, be it local or national. The hostility towards the media in the last thirty years is not good for our democracy no matter what side of the political or municiple fence you are on.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Thread Information