A very serious story, with serious consequence, but apparently a good ending.... I think. Although I would never have thought this possible:
Girl's Intestine Ripped Out By Pool Drain
6-Year-Old Survives Massive Injuries
POSTED: 1:03 pm EDT July 5, 2007
UPDATED: 3:31 pm EDT July 5, 2007
MINNEAPOLIS -- A 6-year-old Minnesota girl is alive after sitting over an open drain in a wading pool and having most of her small intestine sucked out of her body.
Related Content: Girl Survives Grisly Pool Accident | Images
It happened last Friday at the Minneapolis Golf Club's Kiddie Pool. Doctors said Abigail Taylor sat on the drain at the bottom of the pool and her bottom created suction on the drain.
The strength of the suction from the drain pulled part of her small intestine out, they said.
Her mom said the girl somehow pulled herself off the drain and out of the pool before collapsing into the deep end of the regular pool.
"It's a medical miracle that she survived," said Abigail's father, Scott Taylor.
The girl was rushed to Children's Hospital in Minneapolis. Doctors operated for several hours before addressing the family.
"I immediately fell to me knees," Scott Taylor said. "My initial reaction was she hadn't survived."
But Abigail did survive, though her life will never be the same.
She now has a permanent colostomy and will have to be fed intravenously for the rest of her life.
"That's how she'll receive all of her nutrition, based on the fact that her small intestines are gone. She can't process food," Scott Taylor said.
Scott Taylor said he's talking to the media to make sure other parents and pool owners are aware of the dangers lurking at the bottom of pools.
Doctors said Abigail will remain in the hospital for at least a couple of weeks.
According to the Consumer Products Safety Commission, "the suction from a pool drain can be so powerful that it can hold an adult under water, but most entrapment incidents involve children."
Distributed by Internet Broadcasting Systems, Inc. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
07-06-2007, 08:12 AM #1
- Join Date
- Mar 2002
- Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.
For The "dont Try This At Home" FilesIf you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)
"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD
"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)
Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!
impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto
IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.
07-06-2007, 08:24 AM #2
It's been a while since I took A&P but wouldn't it require sucking out her entire large intestine before even getting to the small intestine? How long would this kid have had to sit on the drain unattended and oblivious for this to occur?
Something just doesn't sound right here. Are we getting the whole story?
Oddly enough this doesn't seem to be a rare occurrance. Here's another article with similar cases from 10 years ago: http://www.drainsafe.com/Archives/archive_page_8.htm
Last edited by DeputyMarshal; 07-06-2007 at 08:37 AM."Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.
07-06-2007, 08:32 AM #3
- Join Date
- Nov 2006
- The Mistake On The Lake
I seem to recall a similar story a number of years ago, about the exact same thing. Industrial pool drains, like those found in most community pools, create a ton of suction. I remember something about a kid who got his arm caught in one, and his father or the lifeguard or something couldn't pull him off.
07-06-2007, 10:00 AM #4
- Join Date
- May 1999
- Here, There, Everywhere
There is a movement to make the drains much safer.
In our procedures we have it when clearing a roof drain to never use ones hands..only a tool.
07-06-2007, 03:31 PM #5
not to get off topic, but I've heard of a brutal police beating to get a confession that involved a plunger on a person
07-06-2007, 03:52 PM #6
What an unfortunate incident. I feel bad for the kid though.
07-06-2007, 04:05 PM #7
When my dad was still working as a trauma surgeon he would get about one of these cases every other summer. But would get one really obese person who would do it to themselves on the commode once a year...... His storys in the days before HIPPA were pretty funny.....
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)