Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default And This, Ladies And Gentlemen

Is why there has been a law against riding the back of an open box pick up truck in British Columbia for almost longer than I can remember. (although I do remember riding in the back as a child).

Cowichan tubing trip turns to tragedy. Man thrown from pickup truck; efforts to revive him fail.

Carolyn Heiman, Times Colonist Published: Friday, July 06, 2007

The joyous summer tradition of tubing down the Cowichan River turned tragic Wednesday evening when a 26-year-old Duncan man died after being tossed from the back of a pickup truck on a tubing trip.

Efforts to revive Eric John Blasko on the side of Riverbottom Road failed. He was taken to Cowichan District Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Blasko's mother Caryn was unable to talk at length to the media yesterday, but urged others to be careful and never to ride in the back of a pickup truck. "Please don't do it."

Blasko said she feels for the young man who was driving. "I wouldn't want anyone to have to live with this."

Lake Cowichan RCMP Const. Brian Brown said Blasko was one of four young men in the truck heading west along the gravel Riverbottom Road, back to Skutz Falls.

Two men were in the truck's cab while Blasko and his brother were sitting on four large tire tubes, boxes and coolers in the back.

As they approached an oncoming vehicle, "the driver dodged to the right -- not anything drastic -- but just a bit because they were passing, and then back again. That motion was enough for Mr. Brasko to tumble out of the box."

Speed was not a factor in the accident, Brown said.

The passengers started first aid immediately, and emergency vehicles were soon on the scene, arriving around 7:50 p.m., although they failed to revive the young man.

The driver of the truck was taken into custody and released. Police are recommending that he be charged with impaired driving and impaired driving causing death. He's due appear in court in Duncan Sept. 4.

Brown said every summer, police see passengers in the backs of pickup trucks. "When we do, we pull them over and give them a ticket, or at the very least get them out of the back of the truck."

In recent years, Brown has observed a dangerous practice where kids "surf" on the tops of vehicles along logging roads.

"They'll get up on the hood or roof. It's a big gas or fun for them."

In 28 years as a police officer, Brown said, he's attended three fatalities involving young people riding in the backs of a pickup truck.

"People do it because it is fun, convenient and it is hot," said Brown, adding this latest incident should serve as a cautionary tale.

When he started in the force, he said, it was lawful to ride in the box of a truck but dogs riding in the back had to be tethered. "There was something wrong with that."

Paraplegic athletic and activist Rick Hansen incurred his spinal injury at 15 when he was thrown from the back of a pickup truck.

© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2007
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Yup, personal exoperience with that one.

Several years ago, a friend was drunk, and riding in the back of a pickup sitting on the tool box. When the truck rounded a corner a little too fast, he slid off and smacked hit head on the tire of a parked car.

He is a quad today, and a shadow of his former self. I am very adamantly against riders in the back of a pickup.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Law around here is to ride in the back, must be at least 18....the theory being that at least by that point you should be wise enough to realize what a dumb idea it is. Some people still don't realize though....a few years ago there was a contractor's pickuup truck that rolled over on I-95 with 9 immigrant workers in the back. I believe three were killed, all of them were transported to the trauma center with critical injuries.

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

You know, when I heard this on the radio yesterday I thought "well, that's odd. It must not be law in BC like it is in Alberta, where it has been the law for years." I see I was mistaken in that assumption.

Very sad start to the summer
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Sheri, when I saw the headline, the first thought I had is that my old Capt from Malahat has property on the River, in the very area described.... you have no idea how happy I am that the name was not Patterson.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

It's not a dumb idea to ride in the back per-say; It's a dumb idea to sit on tubes ,coolers, boxes, and tool boxes while riding. Riders should be seated inside the bed with a firm hold on something, and never on the rear fender well. I wouldn't, however, advocate riding long distances like this.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

It's not a dumb idea to ride in the back per-say
    Considering that its a moving traffic violation, and in many places a $100.00 fine, I would consider it a dumb idea under any circumstances. The only possible exception that I might entertain is when moving at low speeds (less than 20mph) and over short distances. There is a reason why it carries a fine... and the original story about sums it up.

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Exactly.

If you're going to accept that seatbelts are a reasonable requirement under the law, then you have to accept that riding in the back of a pickup is wholly unacceptable.

And sure, there are times when we may be back there to steady a cabinet or a refrigerator as we move from the house to the barn at 20kph, but there is a big difference between that, and cruising on public roads with other traffic, unforeseen hazards, and often in violation of the law.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Considering that its a moving traffic violation, and in many places a $100.00 fine, I would consider it a dumb idea under any circumstances. The only possible exception that I might entertain is when moving at low speeds (less than 20mph) and over short distances. There is a reason why it carries a fine... and the original story about sums it up.
    As with most laws, they are not the same everywhere. There are not many places in the southern U.S. that will ticket you for this if the riders are over 12. I guess it's a cultural difference.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Thread Information