Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Question Army firefighter

Im still in high school and i will be joining the CT National guard this march and im gonna to the split opp, i want to make my mos 21M and do ROTC in college. But i have heard that when you enlist you can't become a firefighter right away and that you have to have a different MOS at first before you can Become a firefighter, I was also thinking military police. Any info would be great-Colby

Unhappy 21-Mike U.S. Army Firefighters

They are extremely rare when compared to the number Air Force firefighters there are. Go on line and research. You'll find that with few exceptions Army posts are served by GS-civilian F/F's. Navy bases are also protected the same...Marines.. the same...However the Air force are served by Both.. GS-civilians and enlisted airmen to the rank of senior master sgt..
    Navy aircraft carriers and naval air stations utilze enlisted firefighters with more frequency than the ARMY. Don't misunderstand. the army has them.. but they are few when compared.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm currently a 21M and I have not heard that the only way you can get the MOS is to retrain into it. I DO know that there are a lot of active duty 21M's getting reclass notices because they are trying to restructure the MOS on the active duty side.
    Wish I could give you any better information. Sorry.

whoever told you that was full of it. my Fire Academy class had a few Army Natl. Guard guys straight from boot camp training to be Firefighters. Good luck with whatever you do.

-Damien

I am in the Ky Army N.G as a firefighter and I went from basic to the fire academy.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Army FF

Is anyone currently a Army FF reserve??? Can anyone give me personal information regarding this unit? Thank you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't listen to that crap those career counslors or recruiters are giving you about 21M's. You just need to make sure there is unit near you with that position available. Otherwise you'll have to go active duty or choose another service. I just got out after 5 years in as a firefighter and the entire time I was in I must have met hundreds of people that said their recruiter told them the Army was getting rid of firefighters so they chose a different mos. Just make sure you do your research and look around at some of the other forums. Theres a few that cover this subject pretty well.

Forum Member

Smile 21m in the army

There are quite a few 21m in the Army. Active, Guard, and Reserve. You can join the military as a firefighter it is just a hard MOS to get into but on the Guard or Reserve side it is just finding the town that has 21m station at that unit. As for the reclass, There were too many E4 and below at the time and reclassed them in to other MOS. The Mos is out there it is just finding thte right person to get the MOS. Everyone says that the are getting rid of the MOS but fars as I know It is not true adn I have ben I the Armfor 7 years.

Forum Member

Default army firefighter

mike there are firefighters on every ship in the navy. they are called damage controlmen.

retired e8 damage controlman

"deeds not words"

Just wanted to chime in that I would rethink the split option unless you know (that's K-N-O-W, not T-H-I-N-K) you will be able to keep up on PT in the interim. Showing up for AIT out of shape would be a very traumatic event for you.
    I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

Forum Member

Um well im 90% sure i can, but any info would be great...

Just do what you did in basic (depending on where you go). Basically, run, pushups, situps, pullups, dips and sprints.

Guys in the MOS can provide a better idea of what to do specifically.
    I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

Thread Information