Thread: Charleston, SC

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Charleston, SC

Does anybody have any information on the Charleston, South Carolina fire dept. Like if they usually hire a good amount of people. If they take into account your prefrence when assigning you to a house because I would like to be in an urban area and on a truck company. Also, does anybody know what the city is like? I have friends who go to college in Charleston and they said its really nice and that certain parts of the city resemble small cities as far as being built up with large buildings and things like that.

Thanks
    Last edited by arowett; 07-07-2007 at 02:08 PM.

Forum Member

Have you been hiding under a rock?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

I am just wondering how the city is built if it is suburban or urban. And also some information on the number of people that they usually hire.

Forum Member

I am about a 1.5 hour drive from Charleston. Charleston is a big city that has alot of history and heritage about South Carolina. Parts of the city are skyscrapers on one side of the road and 200 year old homes on the other side of the road. It is very developed, but it also has sections of nothing but historic buildings. Personally, I hate going to Charleston, because it is too crowded and waay too many weird people. (But I live in the country...so...) The Charleston Fire Dept is a very respectable Fire Dept. There is a guy at my Volunteer Dept who just quit working there. He loved it but decided that it was time to move on. I hope that this information helps you. Good luck and stay safe.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by arowett View Post
    Does anybody have any information on the Charleston, South Carolina fire dept. Like if they usually hire a good amount of people. If they take into account your prefrence when assigning you to a house because I would like to be in an urban area and on a truck company. Also, does anybody know what the city is like? I have friends who go to college in Charleston and they said its really nice and that certain parts of the city resemble small cities as far as being built up with large buildings and things like that.

Thanks
    I just broke both my legs in a bad car accident. Would you like to borrow my bike too?

MembersZone Subscriber

Actually my fire instructors at school told me to look at Charleston because they are a very respected department. Also, I have noticed the only thing you ever say in these forums is an attempt to argue with somebody just like you do in the FDNY forum.

Disillusioned Subscriber

No one's trying to start an argument with you. If anything, they're takig it easy on you because you're new. They just lost 9 people in the Line of Duty, so have a little respect. It's not the time to go poking around looking for a job.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
    No one's trying to start an argument with you. If anything, they're takig it easy on you because you're new. They just lost 9 people in the Line of Duty, so have a little respect. It's not the time to go poking around looking for a job.

Which is exactly the reason for my comment of being under a rock!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Default Incredible.

Thanks
    Yeah, heard there's a spot at FDNY open for you too--try looking there. Why not look up in Baltimore? Let's see, there's a volunteer job open in Tennessee and a new spot in DC as well due to 'unforseen' events. Why not look at these places? Or better yet, just have you resume on hand and every time you get a LODD notice, make the funeral and just hand out your resume and application in person--I'm sure it'll land you a job!

Give me a break!! Is this guy serious??!!

MembersZone Subscriber

You guys dont understand what I said that I am asking because I was told by my instructors that it is a well respected dept. Also, I was wondering about the Virginia Beach fire department if anybody has any info on that dept. I dont know anything about the Virginia Beach dept but I like the area so any info would be great

Forum Member

Angry Knock it off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

You guys dont understand what I said that I am asking because I was told by my instructors that it is a well respected dept. Also, I was wondering about the Virginia Beach fire department if anybody has any info on that dept. I dont know anything about the Virginia Beach dept but I like the area so any info would be great
    I haven't heard of them losing any guys in the line lately...you may want to wait until then.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonathanj003 View Post
    I haven't heard of them losing any guys in the line lately...you may want to wait until then.
    What a pos c*nt you are!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingofdahill View Post
    What a pos c*nt you are!!!!!!!!!!!
    Read the etire posting, j*rk off. I am sorry if you do not understand the sarcasm in the last post; however, let me put it in 3rd grade terms for you:

The azz bag that started this post is TRYING TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF OPENINGS IN CHARLESTON AFTER 9 BROTHERS WERE KILLED IN THE LINE...THAT IS WHERE MY PROBLEM LIES!

Again, I am sorry if you do not comprehend my sarcasim in my comments to prove my point. I guess in doing just that I have accomplished exactly what I wanted.

That is all.

Exclamation

are u serious.......what kinda of creep ask about a hiring process after the dept has 9 person L.O.D.D.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by jonathanj003 View Post
    Read the etire posting, j*rk off. I am sorry if you do not understand the sarcasm in the last post; however, let me put it in 3rd grade terms for you:

The azz bag that started this post is TRYING TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF OPENINGS IN CHARLESTON AFTER 9 BROTHERS WERE KILLED IN THE LINE...THAT IS WHERE MY PROBLEM LIES!

Again, I am sorry if you do not comprehend my sarcasim in my comments to prove my point. I guess in doing just that I have accomplished exactly what I wanted.

That is all.
    are u serious....what kinda of creep ask about a hiring process after a 9 person LODD

MembersZone Subscriber

Look Im going down south on vacation this summer and I am trying to get information on deptartments that I might want to stop at so that I could see what they are like and decide where I would really want to be a firefighter which is why I also asked about Virgina Beach. I asked about Charleston because it was a recommended department to me and also because it is a bigger city in south carolina and I am looking into maybe moving to the south carolina area and i would want to be in an urban fire dept. I was told that Charleston has a good department and that they are well respected. I was also told by my friends that go to school in Charleston that it is a beautiful area so I wanted to get some information about the city and any information that people could give about their dept. Not to mention that I still have another year of college to finish before I become a career firefighter so I dont know how I am taking advantage of openings by trying to figure out which departments I would want to be apart of when I graduate next spring.

I guess this arguement could have probably been avoided in the first place if I explained that I was planning my vacation and which fire departments I wanted to see. And aslo that I wont be graduating for another year. Im sorry to anybody who was upset by this thread but I hope you know now why I was asking and you understand that Im not trying to take adavantage of the opeings from the 9 brothers who gave their lives.
    Last edited by arowett; 07-08-2007 at 08:48 PM.

Forum Member

Charleston, SC is always hiring because the pay is very low and the housing market is so high Firemen can't live there. Thats the way it is in the southeast. Savannah and Charleston have so many positions open at all times its sad. Savannah has Firemen leaving weekly to pursue a job that can put food on the table. So nine positions open is nothing new to Charleston. Everyone calm down this kid is just looking for a job.

Forum Member

I can see that this is bad timing, but you guys are jumping down this poor guy's throat for no reason.

Theres a laundry list of reasons why you're accusations are completely riduculious. Maybe we should all try to help each other instead of trying to take cheap shots at each other.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yea its called being "adult"..... maybe some people should try it yea we all know 9 brothers were lost and he never was asking if he could or should go pushing and handing out apps/resumes at funerals gotta be kidding me....

Arowett just keep going with what your doing your taking the right steps asking questions about departments your interested in. Sorry I don't personally have information on Charleston, SC so I wouldn't be much help but just ignore these fools here that posted above tearing into you!!! I wouldn't apologize to these guys... yea we all feel remorse for the 9 brothers who gave there life's but were all brothers here too all of the firefighters tradition so somethings are just unnecessary. Maybe someone who has useful information could actually assist Arowett in his questions now????

later

Forum Member

No way, not now. 9 brothers were killed. Now isn't the time, wait a few years.

Forum Member

http://www.charlestoncity.info/dept/?nid=11
    Jumping on this kid is ridiculous. If there was a required wait time after tragedy struck somewhere, our grandfathers should have waited a year after Pearl harbor to enlist, and FDNY would still be waiting to hire after 9/11. I think it can be seen as an honor for the nine lost brothers that they might have inspired guys to join their department and keep up their traditions. But maybe that is just me, maybe I have not become cynical enough to please some others here.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

The kid was not showing any disrespect. Maybe his timing is off a little. Unfortunately for us all fires do not stop burning when we have LODD. We need firefighters to continue to do there job. The best way to remember a fallen brother is to get back on the Trucks and do what we do best. And when someone new is looking for work after we lose a brother what greater show of respect is their.

Rest in Peace Charleston Nine
    Last edited by mcarneglia58; 07-09-2007 at 04:20 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mattc05 View Post
    No way, not now. 9 brothers were killed. Now isn't the time, wait a few years.

So, what about all the guys they'll loose through normal attrition like retirements. Should they stay on, since it would be ghoulish for someone to try to get a job with an FD that had an LODD.

Life goes on, people don't stop retiring, and vacancies won't magicly be filled. Its not like the kid wanted to take their spot at the same company on the same shift.

MembersZone Subscriber

listen its was a bad idea for him to start this thread because of the 9 that lost their lives but give him a break. plus it wouldnt be the best idea to move south for a full time job i made more in ohio working part time than i do working full time here in south carolina.

Forum Member

The Charleston Fire Dept is looking to hire 15 new people. I got word of this today by one of my officers in my dept. This is fact, no bs or anything. Everyone needs to get off of this man's case. Show respect to our fallen brothers and stop bashing someone's dream to be a firefighter with that dept. RIP Charleston 9. You will never be forgotten.

Thread Information