Question Rescue Tools mounted on Front Bumper

Our department is in the process of coming up with spec’s for a new rescue truck and one of the idea’s we’ve came up with is mounting the hydraulic rescue tools with reels on the front bumper. We would like to here from any department the has done this as we have been told by a few people not to do this, as it creates a real maintenance issue with the hydraulic lines that run under the truck, especially her in northern Indiana with the weather that we have. I need information to either support or reject the idea for our department's apparatus committee. Information including costs, difficulties, benefits etc. will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Forum Member

we have our tools mounted in the front bumper and have not had any issues. We have two other departments in the area that have done this also and they have not had anything bad to report. A couple of things to think about is the seal for the cover on the front bumper to make sure water and snow do not get in and rust your tools. The other is now you have created a very expensive bumper that could take some hits.

MembersZone Subscriber

Forum Member

I DO NOT want to turn this into a discussion on tool brands, however, have you seen the bulkhead fitting from Holmatro? --IF--- you use that brand, it is a pretty cool setup, which eliminates the need for reels. We don't have them, but are specifying them on our new pumper, which will have a set of tools on it. We are putting them on the front and rear, and the tools will be housed in a side compartment. The Chief was sold by the idea of being much cheaper than reels and not having the tools exposed to damage in a crash.
    Granted, crashes can be in the side as well as the front, but they are still a little more protected. It will also allow us to work off either end of the truck.
    If you use another brand, my opinion personally is to put the reels in the side compartment. A neighboring town has a nice set up on a pumper with "rescue" style compartments. The reels are mounted high with the tools on and out and down tray, on the passenger side of the truck. this allows them to primarily work on that side, using the truck as a traffic shield.

Good luck with the headaches of building a truck, and getting what you ask for!

Forum Member
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Truckie

Text Jasper, that is how their truck is set up and I really liked it. He would know what is good and what doesn't work as they use their stuff very regular.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by stfd202 View Post
    Our department is in the process of coming up with spec’s for a new rescue truck and one of the idea’s we’ve came up with is mounting the hydraulic rescue tools with reels on the front bumper. We would like to here from any department the has done this as we have been told by a few people not to do this, as it creates a real maintenance issue with the hydraulic lines that run under the truck, especially her in northern Indiana with the weather that we have. I need information to either support or reject the idea for our department's apparatus committee. Information including costs, difficulties, benefits etc. will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

My advice to you is DO IT. We mounted some of our tools in our front bumper and it is by far the best thing we did on that truck. We also experience some rough winter weather and have alot of sand and salt on the roads but we haven't had any problems at all. In fact some other rescue companies in the area have started to do the same thing and they like it also. As 1 poster stated , make sure there is a good lid / cover on the top. We have a strong diamond cover with hinges and gas shocks that make opening it very easy.

There are several benefits to it.
    1. The tools come off quicker and more easily.
    2. Having the tools in the bumper frees up ALOT of space in the side
    compartments.

As far as the hyrdaulic line being exposed where it is run under the truck to get to the bumper , I believe ours is run through some type of flexible conduit or rubber sleeve to help protect it.

Forum Member

We have ours mounted on the front bumper, as well as in the rear roll up compartment. They are connected to pre-connects, which is nice when we roll up and pull the tool off and it's ready to use if the generator is on. It saves a lot more time, and we have not had any problems that I know of with it.

Thread Information