Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Attaching Hood to Turnout Coat Collar

I would like to attach my hood to the back of my turnout coat collar as typically seen in the metro DC area. What type of fasteners are you guys using that do this. I assume its either sewn or buttons are used? I am hoping to do this but would also like to be able to remove it if desired.

Thank you in advance. Photo below.

http://firefighterclosecalls.com/fullstory.php?43768

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

a simple question for you, no rip, no attack, just a question...Why would you want to do this?

FyredUp

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    a simple question for you, no rip, no attack, just a question...Why would you want to do this?

FyredUp
    I would like to know why as well.
    It seems like it would be about the most inconvienient place for a hood.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

I sewed mine into the liner of my jacket. It works great and it's always there. Never lost, Never stolen, Never forgotten.

MembersZone Subscriber

Most guys have it sewn in, I have seen people use the snaps on the older globe coat liners. They Just cut small holes in the hood, and use teh liner snaps to hold it in place. Not sure why I never tried it, it does seem to be a good idea. Like Kingofdahill said, if its sewn in, you wont lose it, its always there (anyone ever realize that your hood dropped out of your pocket going down the road? I have, very embarrassing). Also, it makes sure you have a good hood seal with your collar. When you get masked up, you just pull the hood over top of your mask and tuck in the front of the hood. It seems to work very well. Some guys will let it hang out the back like in the pic, or some will flip it inside their coat if they are going to something other than a fire. Like I said, it seems to work. I have seen lots of guys doing it without any problems.

Stay Safe

Quote Originally Posted by kingofdahill View Post
    I sewed mine into the liner of my jacket. It works great and it's always there. Never lost, Never stolen, Never forgotten.
    Like I said no attack on my part, just curious. Although in 30 years of firefighting I have never lost a hood or had one stolen...

When I lay my gear out by the rig on my career FD the hood is on top of my coat so it goes on right after my bunkers and just before my coat.

With my volly FD and taking my gear out of a locker my hood is on the crotch of my pants and I put it on before my pants.

Both ways make it impossible to forget it or lose it since no matter what the call if my PPE is going on so is my hood. Even at car accidents I will put it up during extrication to prevent glass from ending up inside my coat.

FyredUp

MembersZone Subscriber

This is not a wide spread practice in the D.C. metro area. Most departments in the area would prohibit this as an unauthorized modification of the gear (including the jurisdiction where this photo was shot.)
    What happens when you run a few calls in the rain? Now you've got a wet hood that you can't swap out for a dry one. Working an extrication, you've got the potential for it to get snagged.
    Personally, I have never lost my hood or had it stolen. Set up your gear the same way after every run with the hood on top, you can't forget it. Store it in one of those neat inside coat pockets the rest of the time.

MembersZone Subscriber JohnVBFD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kingofdahill View Post
    Personally? If your fellow firefighters are stealing PPE, I think there are bigger issues involved that would cause someone to sew it into their coat.

Like others have said, I have never lost or forgotten mine. Closest I came was on a Pierce Quantram (sp?) cab. I shut it in the door on a medical call.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

I use a radio strap, so the jacket radio pocket is the perfect place for my hood.

I don the hood (pulled down aroung my neck),then my mask. Once the mask is on, I simply pull up the hood. Never lost, never stolen.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DocVBFDE14 View Post
    Personally? If your fellow firefighters are stealing PPE, I think there are bigger issues involved that would cause someone to sew it into their coat.

Like others have said, I have never lost or forgotten mine. Closest I came was on a Pierce Quantram (sp?) cab. I shut it in the door on a medical call.
    I'll second that...serious issues. I was thinking the same thing.

MembersZone Subscriber

FyredUp
    Fyred and LT., Fair question, heres my reply.

Its a matter of wanting the convienence of always having it with me if needed. I am terrible at putting it on for alarm bells and other runs. I want to have it handy. Like I am sure some will suspect, it isnt to look cool. I'll likely keep it tucked under my coat as described above when not in use.

To others...I'll preface this by saying I have been bad at judging others for their preferences in things like this many times before. I have promised myself to lay off more and let all of my brothers and sisters set their gear up in a way that works, after all we all know whats comfortable for us.

If you don't like the idea of having the hood sewn in or attached, thats really ok. It doesnt bother me. I know its an NFPA violation, or that I can get in trouble, and I know some of you guys may disagree with me. If you dont like the idea, thats cool, let it go. If you like to wear your radio strap on top of the gear, go ahead, I wear mine under. If you always wear your chinstrap, go for it, if you carry the super widget 2000 in your pocket, fantastic. It doesnt mean I do or will just because someone else does.

I learn something new every day, thanks in part to some of you on here who freely share ideas and expierence. I take a little from here and a little from there and try new tricks weekly. Some work, some don't. I am not a rookie anymore. As a big boy I can determine cause-effect relationships and understand the reprocussions of what I do or don't do. I do still make mistakes too!

Thank you to any of you who have a legitimate point to state contrary to any ideas I ask for help on, I really do take them to heart. To those who just think somethings stupid because they dont like it, you are entitled to feel so, but contain it within. I think alot of guys feel the same way. To those who I have criticized for not doing something the way I thought was "right", my apologies.

Thanks again for the help.
    Last edited by MG3610; 07-08-2007 at 01:11 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by cap6888 View Post
    Most guys have it sewn in, I have seen people use the snaps on the older globe coat liners. They Just cut small holes in the hood, and use teh liner snaps to hold it in place. Not sure why I never tried it, it does seem to be a good idea. Like Kingofdahill said, if its sewn in, you wont lose it, its always there (anyone ever realize that your hood dropped out of your pocket going down the road? I have, very embarrassing). Also, it makes sure you have a good hood seal with your collar. When you get masked up, you just pull the hood over top of your mask and tuck in the front of the hood. It seems to work very well. Some guys will let it hang out the back like in the pic, or some will flip it inside their coat if they are going to something other than a fire. Like I said, it seems to work. I have seen lots of guys doing it without any problems.

Stay Safe
    Thanks, thats a good bit of info.

Forum Member

Not everyone works in perfect firehouse like some guys on here do. No the brothers are not going around ripping off guys gear and the problems around here are no different then any other firehouse. Like i said things do happen though, hoods do get forgotten, misplaced on a run or whatever. How about when you pull that pair of gloves out of your pockets and the hood falls out without you knowing. It is personal preference. I prefer to have MINE sewn in. I actually think it goes on smoother then fighting with a wet hood or a hood that rides up and tangles when in a hurry. I'm not perfect so I had to adjust and overcome this imperfection.

P.S. I have never heard of someone dying because of this. When and if I do then I will consider taking it out. But I have heard and seen guys who have been burned and injured because of a lack of having their hood. (including myself) so I think my set up is just fine.
    Last edited by kingofdahill; 07-08-2007 at 12:41 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fireman4949 View Post
    I use a radio strap, so the jacket radio pocket is the perfect place for my hood.

I don the hood (pulled down aroung my neck),then my mask. Once the mask is on, I simply pull up the hood. Never lost, never stolen.
    Same here. After 34 years have never lost one. Have wore a few out.

As others said, having one stolen I think is a bigger issue. Take a permenate marker and write your name on the bottom of the hood.

T.J.

MG3610....

Honestly, all I did was ask a question. I guess you felt the need to go on and explain everything but all I asked about was sewing the hood in.

I put my hood on EVERY time I put on my PPE. It may not be pulled up but it is on. That is how I keep track of it. If sewing it in works for you, super.

Have a nice day.

FyredUp

MembersZone Subscriber

MG3610....

Honestly, all I did was ask a question. I guess you felt the need to go on and explain everything but all I asked about was sewing the hood in.

I put my hood on EVERY time I put on my PPE. It may not be pulled up but it is on. That is how I keep track of it. If sewing it in works for you, super.

Have a nice day.

FyredUp
    Don't misinterpret me, the balance of the explanation wasnt aimed at you at all since you simply asked an honest question. Sorry if you thought i was attacking you.

Quote Originally Posted by fireman4949 View Post
    ditto here. I keep my hood in my radio pocket. anytime I put a pack on, it goes on (and usually I grab a radio). if I'm not putting a pack on, but donning my gear, the hood stays in the pocket.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

To the people that have it sewn in...how often do you launder it, and how do you do it?

Forum Member

Their is only one thief in the fire department; Everyone else is just trying to get their stuff back!

Forum Member

so basically u dont use the base part of your hood that goes around your neck if u do this? i dont quite understand the concept. If your not using the bottom you arent fully protected.... personally i just put my hood on for every call but EMS incase of a call on the way back or something i have it on and dont have to worry about losing it.

Thread Information