Forum Member

Question Technical assistance needed- clutch cable installation 1996 Nissan Sentra

Hey everyone, I am in need of some mutual aid here. Any greasemonkeys or shadetree mechanics out there care to shed some guiding light on the finer points of clutch cable replacement on a 1996 Nissan Sentra (1.6L) with a 5 speed? I am about to lose it here- if the clutch weren't already disconnected at the transaxle end, I would have driven the car to the nearest high cliff and pushed it over and laughed hysterically as it smashed into 30 million pieces.

Here's the problem: At the firewall, there are two 12MM bolts coming out to the engine side. You have to loosen the nuts (on the engine side of the wall) in order to disconnect the cable. Problem is, the throttle opener control system (TOCS) is in the way, and I'll be damned if I can figure out how to move it!

-The top nut on the cable flange is disconnected.

-It is impossible to get around the TOCS, I can't even use my 1/4 drive set with a universal joint. I tried for 2 hours and threw the ratchet across the garage no less than 6 times and nearly hitting the 1958 F.W.D. twice.

-The TOCS has one bolt connecting it's bracket it to the fender wall. There is another location where the bracket appears to be spot welded to the fender wall. I am not against getting out the hammer and chisel at this point and breaking the weld, but want to avoid that and will only do it if it guarantees total disconnection of the bracket so I can get at the clutch cable flange......

-The TOCS has 3 phillips screws that appear to be connecting it to the bracket. I can't get a screwdriver in there, due to the lack of space between the TOCS and the shock tower.

Can anyone out there shed some light on this for me???? Am I doing something wrong? Did I miss something? Am I forgetting something??? Do I need to bust that weld?? Oh yeah, PS- the Chilton Manual is useless on this subject.

I'm also gonna post this down in the engineering forums, too.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Even though I've been a mechanic for years, I don't remember ever changing one of those. However, a good friend of mine is a certified Nissan master tech. I could run it by him if you like. He's probably done one before, or knows some guys up there who have.

Forum Member

im not much of a new car guy but i find it to be best to walk away from the situation when you get mad at it then come back later, and for some unknown reason with murphys law. it usually gets done really quick after your cool.

ok now back to trying to help.
    if you can take a picture and post it, it would help greatly.
    the 3 screws - do you happen to have a Z screwdriver, it might actually work if you have little room for a normal screwdriver (Z screwdriver is the bent philips and flathead screwdriver).

the part your trying to get off with the 1/4 and extension- think 3D, try everything you have in your toolbox to find a way to get to it. i dont know exactly where the part is on the firewall but try from atop, below, side, side, etc if they put it on their, it can come off.

show a pic and then i could probably help.

good luck, and dont throw tools. it makes you wanna cry when it hits something more important.

Forum Member

If it is just a matter of getting the right angle to reach the nut, then try buying a parts store el-cheapo wrench and having it bent into a shape that would allow it to work. I have done this with a few "hard to reach fasteners" on my personal vehicles.
    Is it possible that the "spot weld" is actually a stud that has a nut on the inside firewall under the dash?
    When in doubt, use the Hooligan..
    There is also a website that requires a membership subscription to access specific vehicle information from factory repair manuals, alldata.com, but even if you subscribe to the one year service, it is no guarantee that it will have the exact information you are looking for. You might also try going to a dealer and looking at schematics for the TOCS to see how it is connected (ie: where the connection points are located). Usually, if a dealer's parts counter is not busy, they will let you see a picture. If this doesn't work, try it at a generic parts store. Just act like you need the TOCS cable. Hopefully, this will help you see what you need to know in order to move it out of the way of the clutch cable flange.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman View Post
    Even though I've been a mechanic for years, I don't remember ever changing one of those. However, a good friend of mine is a certified Nissan master tech. I could run it by him if you like. He's probably done one before, or knows some guys up there who have.
    Nozz- that would be great if you could run it past your friend. I was out in the garage earlier tonight and studied it some more for a while and I am STILL stumped!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Disillusioned Subscriber

Several years ago, Chevrolet had a little engineering "snafu" back in the 70s with the old Monza. It would seem the spark plug for the number 8 cylinder could only be accessed through the fender well after removing the motor mount and jacking the motor up several inches. It kinda took the "do-it-yourself" out of tune-ups.

Hopefully the design engineers for that Chevy model didn't go to work for Nissan.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

Nozz- that would be great if you could run it past your friend. I was out in the garage earlier tonight and studied it some more for a while and I am STILL stumped!
    I'll call him this evening.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
    Several years ago, Chevrolet had a little engineering "snafu" back in the 70s with the old Monza. It would seem the spark plug for the number 8 cylinder could only be accessed through the fender well after removing the motor mount and jacking the motor up several inches. It kinda took the "do-it-yourself" out of tune-ups.

Hopefully the design engineers for that Chevy model didn't go to work for Nissan.
    No, they are still there. My 2001 Chevy Impala (piece of crap car........was a great car unil everything ahead of the firewall fried at 60,000 miles.....) was a BEAR to change spark plugs on. You had about 3 inches to change two of the back plugs on. Had to essentially remove a large portion on top of the engine to change the plugs.

As for the clutch cable.........You could always buy automatic.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Did you get it figured out? You picked the week my friend is on vacation, apparantly. I tried calling again today, but he's still not back.

Thread Information