Thread: DoD firefighter

Forum Member

Default DoD firefighter

I was told you have to apply online to work on a military base as a DoD firefighter. What is the website?

OSD122

Quote Originally Posted by jrdunkle View Post
    I was told you have to apply online to work on a military base as a DoD firefighter. What is the website?
    Depends on what branch you want to work for.

For starters, go to; www.usajobs.opm.gov. Search job series 0081. When you see something you want to apply for, follow the instructions on how to apply.

Most 0081 series will require you to use the service branch's website to apply. For example, the Army will use their Resume Builder page, and the Navy/Marines require you to apply on their website.

Worldwide Menace

Quote Originally Posted by jrdunkle View Post
    Most places won't consider you unless you are fully certified.. (First Responder, FF1, FF2, Hazmat Awareness and Ops, and ARFF and some even require Driver/Operator).. Other than that.. Good Luck!

-Damien

Forum Member

What area or base are you looking to apply?

MembersZone Subscriber

if your looking for Air Force the look up AFPC online and u will have to submit your resume. also as said before you must have the minimum requirements. All require ARFF, FF I and II, HazMat Awarenss and Ops, First Responder, and most require D/O like DFurtman has stated. it's alot harder to get on a military base fire dept if you are a civilian. Understand previous military has priority and they would rather hire someone who already has had the clearances and everything else. good luck though

Forum Member

DFurtman:

What are you talking about? Entry GS4 level requires NOTHING with NO experience. You have one year to get your DoD certifications, Class B DL and EMT.

Worldwide Menace

Quote Originally Posted by devildog4 View Post
    DFurtman:

What are you talking about? Entry GS4 level requires NOTHING with NO experience. You have one year to get your DoD certifications, Class B DL and EMT.
    that may vary per base... The base that i am on doesn't require EMT, and will not look at a civilian candidate if they have no certs and experience. Ultimately it's the Chiefs call.

-Damien

Forum Member

DFurtman:

Haven't seen too many (well, not any) GS4's being hired lately. So even though that spot doesn't require any certs, unless you have them, you won't get hired at the GS5 position.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

MembersZone Subscriber

I've seen quite a few GS-4's hired on the local Forts here, INLCUDING some WITH DOD CERTS.

MembersZone Subscriber

I had all my DOD certs except D/O pumper, and I started as a GS-4 in 3/05. I obtained it in early '06, and I'm currently a GS-6 not scheduled to get my GS-7 until 3/08.

Forum Member

JTFIRE80:

OK, now answer this "why are you a GS6?"

If you are a GS5 and have all the D/O certs your base requires, you should go to GS7 after 12 months. But then again, that is ONLY if your base requires you to have and provides as a service HazMat or BLS. There should be no reason to have GS6's unless only a few people are at the GS7 level (like members of a HazMat team, etc).

See this link (if it works) http://www.localf85.org/docs/FAS%20-...20Standard.pdf

MembersZone Subscriber

Default GS-4's

I work in Northern California for the Navy, and we are currently hiring Fire Fighters without their DoD certs at the GS-4 lvl. These FF however do have the California State Fire Marshal I and II. The big requirement is EMT(basic) before applying. Then you have a year to complete the DoD I and II and HAZMAT Ops and awareness.

Forum Member

We have 4s too. Theyre actually student trainees and are required to finish an AA along w/ certs. Upon completion they get a GS7

Permanently Removed

The website I recommend to folks looking for Federal employment is go to the source- www.fedworld.gov

All of the federal jobs are listed there. A bit of advice, please make one master job application, but leave some of the spots blank- position @, todays date. You can apply to several positions with just one completed application.

Please hit me up for any other help....Bou (former Fed)

MembersZone Subscriber

JTFIRE80:

OK, now answer this "why are you a GS6?"

If you are a GS5 and have all the D/O certs your base requires, you should go to GS7 after 12 months. But then again, that is ONLY if your base requires you to have and provides as a service HazMat or BLS. There should be no reason to have GS6's unless only a few people are at the GS7 level (like members of a HazMat team, etc).

See this link (if it works) http://www.localf85.org/docs/FAS%20-...20Standard.pdf
    Well, 1st off, I work for the Navy. That in itself is problem 1. We are required to be EMT's. We are not required to be Haz-Tech, but most of us are, and we are Forced to do the work (long standing union issue with that one). There are folks that did NOT have all thier certs, and they got moved up to 7's. I questioned it over 10 times, until I was threatened w/my job. Since I'm under 3 years, I can get fired for pretty much anything, so what choice do I really have??

Forum Member

JTFIRE80:

You never answered or expounded just why you are a GS6.

If you are required to provide BLS services (even on just an Engine), than your top grade is GS7 FF/BLS. If you were around when the upgrades happened, and if you met the basic requirements, you should have gone to a GS7.

Waivers for time-in-grade were done for USMC, I don't know about Navy.

The upgrades were INDEPENDANT on certification. We had lots of FF's upgrades to GS7 who did not have D/O certs. This is OK, and the way it works. Some Chiefs and HRO's don't understand that, but it is what happened.

You should not have to go from a GS5 to a GS6 to a GS7 with a year between grades.

People hired AFTER the upgrades have to wait a year after getting their GS5 to go to a GS7. They are NOT required to go to a GS6 first.

An exception to that is if you have specific people who for example are on a specialized hazmat team. They could all be GS7's and everybody else GS6's.

You passed your 90 day probation and your one year probation. Sounds like you are waiting for 3 years to turn career? That's OK, they can't get rid of you for asking questions. Maybe have your Union ask on your behalf? Who is your Union? What have they done to get you your 7?

Help me out here so that I can help you...

Forum Member

just a quick question because im not 100% sure. Im looking to get hired as a DOD Firefighter in my area in Upstate NY. (USMA-West Point, Picatinny Arsenal, even Lakehurst, NJ) I've heard from here say that besides the obvious veterans credit to be chosen for hire, the following classes are needed to have a decent looking resume; National FF-1, National FF-2, EMT-B, Hazmat Awareness, Hazmat Operations, and Aircraft Fire Rescue. Im currently in the process of recieving these certifications. My question is that, I am not a military verteran and was wondering with these certifications how my chances are at getting chosen for employment at a position. Any advice would greatly be appreciated on how to go about this or if I need anymore classes/certs to be a potential candidate for a postion. Thanks again.

Forum Member

Thread Information