Forum Member

Default 35 year old rookie?

hey y'all...

i'm 34 and i reckon i just figured out what i want to be when i grow up. i've known all along... but i've takin' a round-about way of getting there i guess.

my dilema: the wife! like i said, i'm 34... my employment history includes 5 years combat medic USN and another 5 as a deputy sheriff here in FL. i'm currently a construction superintendent (4 years removed from the S.O.).

i've decided that i need to get settled on a career and one that will provide a good retirement. i grew up around a firehouse (dad is retired FF). i've always had an affinity for it... so i've begun researching FF academy here in central FL.

my wife thinks i'm too old to start something like this. i'm in good shape and feel like i can put 20 in easy. she's also not thrilled with the starting pay, which i understand. but $$ aint eveything i tell her.

so i'm wondering... are there many 35 year old rookies out there? i figure i can complete academy by Sept. '08 if i start in Jan. and take the night class route. no doubt i can handle it... but will FD's look at me and consider me too old? i know they can't openly age discriminate, but... ??

what i'm looking for is a bit of encouragement and/or some comments from an objective point of view.

also, if anyone is in the know, can i use my 5 years with the S.O. (florida state retirement) towards another 20 with a FD???

thanks for any input!

- terry

Forum Member

I'm a 35 year old rookie. I was 34 when I was hired and my class consisted of a range of people from 20 up to 40. You have time and it sounds like you have the drive and quite a resume. Give it all you've got!!

Starting pay does suck, but it doesn't last forever. Some cities have a 6 month probation period, some 12 months, but either way, you suck it up for a little while and make ends meet until you are making 1st class salary. You wouldn't be the first and you won't be the last. Good luck!

Forum Member

I wish you luck and say go for it! Keep us updated on your journey into the FF career.. or better yet, brotherhood.

MembersZone Subscriber

Most cities would rather hire a 34 y/o with life experience over a 20 y/o with nothing but a high school diploma. I just finished an academy at a very large department and there were a handful of guys in their 30's, and two or three in their 40's.

You should be able to get hired without going through an academy first, but I don't know how the departments in Florida work

MembersZone Subscriber

I turned 36 during my fire academy last fall. I was in a class of 53 with an age range from 18 to 45. The 30+ year olds performed a lot better than most of the young ones. The pay was a step back, but I didn't do it for the money. Go for it and good luck.

Forum Member

Default thanks

thanks for the support everyone! i'm doin' it... i'm leaning towards an academy in orlando since i can go at night. it doesn't start until Jan 08 though.

i'll keep ya's posted.

- terry

Florida Boy!

Missouri and Colorado but from the East Coast!

as far as your FRS, most counties use FRS and as long as you were vested before with S.O. you will carry it with you= five less years till retirment.
    There is Life outside the Firehouse!

FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

If you want to get the ball rolling you could take your EMT this fall at Valencia CC or Seminole CC(they have a fire academy that does nights too) in Orlando. The program is much better then CFFA's. On my clinicals (I was at VCC) all the Academy guys said they wished they did it that way. The community college programs prepare you for the NREMT written test a lot better as well. You also only go 3 days a week day or night, and you dont have to do the 12 hour hospital clinicals(just 8). There was a guy working at a hospital with me in the acadamy who was doing the 7pm-7am shift and had to be back at the academy at 9am the next day for class. Good luck, if you have anymore questions about Orlando schools or anything just post.

Permanently Removed

You have a pretty good foundation to start with. And youre NOT too old to get into the game. You bring some good things to the table- family, maturity, stability, etc.

BUT, your competetion has a jump on you in the education field. Why should we hire you over everyone else? Currently a Paramedic, FF1, etc?

Next- I would suggest testing where you can buy back those lost years in the Sheriff's retirement system. I am assuming you were in Florida's system? Get on somewhere that has the same system and continue where you dropped off. Buy back the lost time if you can.

Lastly- Please do not use your Father's past postion in the fire service as your sole foundation. Other Candidates have and it doesnt always go over well. I have heard in the past- "I am a third generation Firefighter and..." while pounding on their chest. I am NOT saying you did this, just pointing out some if us started on the bottom with no prior family ties.

Good luck and keep us posted.

MembersZone Subscriber

A 35 year old rookie will do very well in the fire service if he is in good physical condition and is willing to fill the role of the probationary firefighter. You do not get a hall pass because you are older and have more "life" experience.

Having said that, older candidates make excellent rookie firefighters. Add in a wife, kids, and a mortgage and you have the recipe for success. Simply put, this candidate cannot afford to fail.

My department hires quite a few older candidates. Virtually all have done very well. Best of luck and follow your dreams.
    Also, make sure your wife is 100% supportive.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FLA1786 View Post
    If you want to get the ball rolling you could take your EMT this fall at Valencia CC or Seminole CC(they have a fire academy that does nights too) in Orlando. The program is much better then CFFA's. On my clinicals (I was at VCC) all the Academy guys said they wished they did it that way. The community college programs prepare you for the NREMT written test a lot better as well. You also only go 3 days a week day or night, and you dont have to do the 12 hour hospital clinicals(just 8). There was a guy working at a hospital with me in the acadamy who was doing the 7pm-7am shift and had to be back at the academy at 9am the next day for class. Good luck, if you have anymore questions about Orlando schools or anything just post.
    thanks for the info FL1786... i found a school in Tavares: Lake Technical Center. now, i don't know much about the different schools... which one is better, etc... but this one has a night class starts next month. that'll get me FF cert by Jan. only problem is it's 4 nights/week + 1 day on the weekend. then i can go a couple of months at the CC here and get EMT certified. i'm not worried about the EMT as i was previously certified and have had much more advanced courses. so EMT should be no problem.

do you know anything about Lake Technical?

CALFFBOU: i was simply illustrating that i grew up around firehouses... and i have a pretty good idea of what i'm getting into in that regard. no more, no less. no "chest pounding" in other words. although, up north, it's quite a proud tradition to be 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc. generation firefighter. nothing to be ashamed about.

anyhow, thanks for the continued input!

Forum Member

Default 37 YO Rookie

I'm right there with you. I just recieved the good word this week that I have been given a conditional offer of employment with a large metro department.

I turn 37 in August. I'd say go for it - it can be done!

Good luck!

Forum Member

Default congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by strangewine View Post
    I'm right there with you. I just recieved the good word this week that I have been given a conditional offer of employment with a large metro department.

I turn 37 in August. I'd say go for it - it can be done!

Good luck!
    congratulations strangewine...

i am goin' for it. academy starts aug. 20, runs through jan. 5. ideally i would take an EMT course that runs 1 day a week concurrently... but i doubt i can convince my boss to let me pull that off. that route gets me done by year end... otherwise i'll have to run EMT after FF and won't finish until april.

either way i got the ball rollin'... i can't wait to get started.

take it easy people.

- terry

Forum Member

Talking

You should do just fine! My husband started the Tucson Fire Academy when he was 40, and turned 41 a month after it started. Good luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

I would also look into what some of the age policies are in some of the depts. in your area. Some depts. have age restrictions some also will take years of age of with experience. I am starting rookie school again at 31. Follow your passion and good luck.

Forum Member

Besides some of the other good advice here, the military service may also factor in as well. I have seen depts with a max age of 35 to apply, but that was also waived if you were a veteran for your time. In your case if you came across something like that, the dept cutoff is 35, with your 5 years military time, you are considered 30 and have some leeway.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Grandpa

Yeah I got on at 35 yr old, go for it. My guess is your wife doesn't want you around the house as much as the schedule will allow (haha). My wife finally made me get a second job!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FLA1786 View Post
    How was the state exam compared to the class ones? Did you get hired on? Where did you go for standards?

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Lake Tech

The Lake Tech Ctr also has an excellent EMT program. I went through their night program. I ended up going to IRCC for fire but the Lake Tech Ctr's program is known as top notch. I am in the hiring process with Orange County. BTW, I am 32 myself. Just keep in shape and you should do fine.

Forum Member

Default never too old

I was 35 when hired by my department. As the management will tell you, with older recruits, you know that they have life experience, and more than likely wont skip work to party, long weekends, ect. Starting pay sucks, but when your first class, its all worth it.
    Good luck

Forum Member

Default am 34 myself

Just got hired here in Florida. Lake County picked me up. Lake Tech is where we tested for the County. I went to Central Florida Fire Academy. They offer emt and fire 1&2 but classes fill up quick. Lake Tech looked like it had a great facility. Good luck there and don't worry about your age. There are a lot of us out there doing the same thing from what I have seen. I was worried at first too. Will see how this probi year goes. I don't think there is too much to worry about.

MembersZone Subscriber

Last edited by PyroPat; 10-17-2007 at 10:00 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BCLepore View Post
    A 35 year old rookie will do very well in the fire service if he is in good physical condition and is willing to fill the role of the probationary firefighter. You do not get a hall pass because you are older and have more "life" experience.

Having said that, older candidates make excellent rookie firefighters. Add in a wife, kids, and a mortgage and you have the recipe for success. Simply put, this candidate cannot afford to fail.

My department hires quite a few older candidates. Virtually all have done very well. Best of luck and follow your dreams.
    Also, make sure your wife is 100% supportive.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    All fantastic advice. I am 38. A child, but no wife. But when this Chief states that the wife must be 110% supportive, I agree wholeheartedly. My ex thought I was a thoughtless a**hole if I spent 2 hours at the gym on a Saturday, or dropped the baby off early at the sitters on a weekday so I could run stairs. She also thought I was a fool for wanting a job as a firefighter. No support. She would spend hours making preparations for her 8 year old daughter, and her Brownie Meetings (which was all fine and well) but not even ask about how my workouts were coming along, ect. Consequently, as the time for the Written and Physical came around, there was much stress, and we landed up breaking up. I passed the Written (Barely) and though I thought I was in shape for the physical, I was off by about a minute. I got through the stair test (150 times in 10 minutes up and down three steps with a 40 lb vest) and got through the Tower Climb (w/vest carrying 40 pounds of hose), and rope pulled the hose up and down the tower, back down, and pounded the door with the sledgehammer, and was completing the ladder extension when the Instructor told me I was out of time. (4 minutes) All I needed left was the dummy drag, and the charged hose extension, which would have probably taken me one minute. I know now how to do the tests, and know that I can skim seconds off my time on the tower, with the rope pull, and the sledge. It's just a matter of practice (With ropes and a sledgehammer), and more time running stairs and laps with a 40 pound backpack. I have not given uphope, and was invited to try out once again. I have given myself a 5 year window to make a Department. I am nothing if not stubborn and persistent. More time needs to be spent in the gym, and on the track, and at the Library with Barron's Firefighter Preparation Exam book. Do you gentlemen have any additional advice?.....Alucard.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
    All fantastic advice. I am 38. A child, but no wife. But when this Chief states that the wife must be 110% supportive, I agree wholeheartedly. My ex thought I was a thoughtless a**hole if I spent 2 hours at the gym on a Saturday, or dropped the baby off early at the sitters on a weekday so I could run stairs. She also thought I was a fool for wanting a job as a firefighter. No support. She would spend hours making preparations for her 8 year old daughter, and her Brownie Meetings (which was all fine and well) but not even ask about how my workouts were coming along, ect. Consequently, as the time for the Written and Physical came around, there was much stress, and we landed up breaking up. I passed the Written (Barely) and though I thought I was in shape for the physical, I was off by about a minute. I got through the stair test (150 times in 10 minutes up and down three steps with a 40 lb vest) and got through the Tower Climb (w/vest carrying 40 pounds of hose), and rope pulled the hose up and down the tower,
    back down, and pounded the door with the sledgehammer, and was completing the ladder extension when the Instructor told me I was out of time. (4 minutes) All I needed left was the dummy drag, and the charged hose extension, which would have probably taken me one minute. I know now how to do the tests, and know that I can skim seconds off my time on the tower, with the rope pull, and the sledge. It's just a matter of practice (With ropes and a sledgehammer), and more time running stairs and laps with a 40 pound backpack. I have not given uphope, and was invited to try out once again. I have given myself a 5 year window to make a Department. I am nothing if not stubborn and persistent. More time needs to be spent in the gym, and on the track, and at the Library with Barron's Firefighter Preparation Exam book. Do you gentlemen have any additional advice?.....Alucard.
    hey, try this, the cpat is somewhat different to what i've read they make you do, but this will help you focus your training.

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=93864

MembersZone Subscriber

Getting hired on the fire department but losing a wife in the process is not a victory in my book. Make sure your wife is in complete support. Working 24-hour shifts is difficult for many wives. I encourage you to have your wife speak to the wives of any of your firefighter friends. The more support you get at home, the greater your chances of getting hired.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief

Thread Information