FE Engine Captain

Post Mock Disaster Questions

Along with trying to start an explorer "ride out" program, I have had the idea to try and coordinate a Mock Disaster day for the area explorer posts. I have seen the videos of previous Mock Disasters held. I enjoyed these videos immensely, which gave me the idea in the first place, but I have not found a thread specifically explaining how to coordinate and plan an event such like these. I would appreciate any help with coordinating and planning a Mock Disaster. Help such as, ways to approach other explorer posts that I would like to participate and Drills or "Calls" to do. Thank You
    FE Engine Captain #06
    http://www.southlinefireexplorers.com
    **The knowledge given within these forums is my own personal insight and information and does not and should not necessarily reflect any organizations that I am associated with**

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SLFEEC06 View Post
    Along with trying to start an explorer "ride out" program, I have had the idea to try and coordinate a Mock Disaster day for the area explorer posts. I have seen the videos of previous Mock Disasters held. I enjoyed these videos immensely, which gave me the idea in the first place, but I have not found a thread specifically explaining how to coordinate and plan an event such like these. I would appreciate any help with coordinating and planning a Mock Disaster. Help such as, ways to approach other explorer posts that I would like to participate and Drills or "Calls" to do. Thank You
    I would be glad to help. KTorak might be even more of a help, but I think that I may be able to help you out.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

I can help... but definately hit up KTorak. He's the event organizer for the Mock Disaster Day my and RFRD's Post goes to.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

FE Engine Captain

Post Thank You

Thank You both for your quick responses. I could use all and any help I can get. I am curious as to what types of training you perform at the Mock Disaster and how you go about getting other explorer posts to train with you. Also, I would like information to as how long the event runs for and how much supervision would be required. Thanks Again
    FE Engine Captain #06
    **The knowledge given within these forums is my own personal insight and information and does not and should not necessarily reflect any organizations that I am associated with**

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SLFEEC06 View Post
    Thank You both for your quick responses. I could use all and any help I can get. I am curious as to what types of training you perform at the Mock Disaster and how you go about getting other explorer posts to train with you. Also, I would like information to as how long the event runs for and how much supervision would be required. Thanks Again
    Um, well we train pretty much year round covering basic firefighting and EMS skills. We are trained to roughly Ohio Firefighter I-A and First Responder standards. So this training really pays off during the day. The Mock Disaster is a whole saturday. We always have plenty of advisors and firefighters present as safety officers and to drive us around on the apparatus all day. But for the most part, they stay out of the way and let us run ourselves like a real fire department. Unless we are really gonna F*** something up, what we do is what the explorer officers tell us to. They basically rely on word of mouth and they send letter to posts I believe. We do everything from car fires and MVA's (no cutting just pt. extrication) to everyday EMS calls and smoked up buildings with mazes inside.

Kyle now to you............then I will elaborate further if need be.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

I'm going to pass along a photo album with pictures and a video of this year's event.
    http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o...saster%202007/
    Jake covered it well. I'll try to elaborate...
    The advisors release all the reigns onto us. Alls they're there to do is drive and occasionally lend a hand if we have heavy pts. (does happen a lot). EMS calls range from difficulty breathing to broken limbs. We get wires-down calls (an extension cord strung across the front end of a car). We have 1 police explorer post that participates and there's a lot of Fire and Police interaction. We have a dispatcher (which this year, we had a professional dispatcher from Michigan). All of the vehicles involved get a radio that i used for dispatching. We also have a hospital venturer group come in and do all the moulaging. The victims are a group of teenagers from the Toledo Zoo, but we have used Boy Scout troops in the past.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Hey. Sorry I didn't see this earlier, I've been out of town for the past week and I don't check back here too often. As mentioned above, I plan/coordinate the Mock Disaster Event in the Monroe, MI area for posts around here. If you email me with specific questions (kdersch@verizon.net) I can help you out and answer any that you have. I can give you as much information as you want. I also have pretty much all of the information that we give to other posts laid out in word documents. However, I must caution you that you would need to plan this event anywhere from 4-6 months in advance and it requires A LOT of work and time to be put into it for it to be successful.
    Kyle
    Bedford Fire/Rescue Explorer Post #547
    -Post Cheif
    -Treasurer
    -Mock Disaster Site Planner & Event Coordinator

FE Engine Captain

Post Thank You

I can only imagine the effort that you and your post exert in order to put this event into action. I will be e-mailing you very shortly for more information.

Thank You
    FE Engine Captain #06

Thread Information