MembersZone Subscriber

Default Looking for input on roll-up doors

I am on our truck committee that is currently in the process of speccing out a new rescue pumper. There is discussion within the committee as to whether we want to go with rollup doors or regular cabinet doors on the body. We are looking to purchase a Pierce Enforcer with the Heavy Duty Rescue Pumper body style. Some of the things this engine will respond to are: 1) All car accidents 2) All car fires 3) 3rd due engine for all other structure fire calls 4) Will also be used for inline pumping if we need to if we are in our unhydranted areas.

This engine will also carry our TNT rescue tools which we have planned to have pre-connected to 100' of hose off of hose reels. We are planning to have that located in the back cabinet on the officer's side of the truck.

So....I'm looking for some input on rollup vs. regular cabinet doors. We currently do not have any rollup doors on any of our apparatus except for the cabinets on the rear of the apparatus. We've heard some stories about rollup doors getting hard to raise and lower after a while because of grime getting in the doors, etc.

Also wondering if anyone with painted rollup vs non-painted have any problems with the paint showing significant signs of wear after a while.

Any input on this is greatly appreciated.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hi there, my recommendation is to go with roller doors. Here in Queensland all the trucks (other than a few older models) are on roller doors. Our old tanker and pump were fitted with doors, but our new pump and tanker have roller doors and i personally prefer them. We've never had any problems with them getting hard to raise/lower. All of them are unpainted so i can't help on that issue. Hope this helps.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just like anything else, they've got their pros and cons. The benefit is that you don't have doors sticking out when compartments are open. There's no tearing doors off or damaging things when you open doors, etc.

The biggest con I've seen is that you loose 8-10" of cabinet space for the roller unit and all at the top of the cabinet. Some apparatus are big enough it doesn't matter, but one something like a light rescue or brush truck, I could see where someone might need that extra space for storage.

Forum Member

do the rollers. For one, they don't get ripped off while pulling out of the bay. Yea. that's happend twice here. They don't fly open while driving. Easy to open and close.
    Our last 5 trucks have them and all like them. Do the unpainted look, I've heard from others the paint takes a beating if painted.
    As for look, I may personally swing towards the regular doors, but roll ups make more sense.
    You may lose some space at the top of the compartment due to the roll while open.
    The oldest we have is 5 yrs old and they still work fine. 5 minutes of elbow grease keeps them working fine.

Forum Member

Roll up doors are now cheaper than slammers with most manufacturers.

Forum Member

I prefer rollups. Do not get them painted. They show scratches when painted the same as the body color.

The key is to clean them off and don't let the dust and dirt build up. At least rinse the truck off evey time it goes out and gets dirty.

As for the loss of space, it depends. If you have high sides the space you loose is only reached by someone that is 6'4" plus. You should look at trucks already out there for ideas....

MembersZone Subscriber

We just startd using roll-up doors on our new tower. We are now firm believers. We found that the doors make easier to retreive heavy items fro the truck as the outswing style limits your arm movement. We have had roll-out traya with swing-out doors that still made it difficult to remove a generator or other heavy items. The rollups allow two FFers to stand on either side of the compartment to remove any heavy equipment.

As a warning, I'd note that all roll-up doors are not equal. At the New England Chief's show we opened alot of roll-ups and found that our ROM doors were as good or better than any other. At least one other door felt much cheaper and didn't move when grab anywhere off the center. Last word: go unpainted. All doors tend to end up with roller marks or scratched when a little dirt gets rolled up into the door. The unpainted doors hide scratches much better.

MembersZone Subscriber

HSB! And it only took about 30 years to figure it out!

Never use harsh solvents on the annodized doors, if you get grease spots or other marks on the slats it is best to use a large pencil eraser to remove it. Never put oil in the tracks just rub the seal with silicone.

If you want colored doors Angus-Secol, I think referred to in the US as AS Products had a couple of styles one being powder coated and I think they also made a poly roll-up that was used on oil rigs at sea.
    METZ AERIALS: "SO EASY A CAVEMAN CAN USE THEM"

MembersZone Subscriber

For the most part, I like them. Look at your local. If you have tight streets, run the interstate, a tight fitting station, go for it. I'm a true believer that anything that runs the interstates should have roll-ups for safety of the FF's.

Forum Member

Firefighter1224, contact me by e-mail. We are FIBS just south of Kenosha and just got a new heavy duty rescue pumper on an Arrow XT chassis. We switched to all rollup doors about 10 years ago with very few problems. I can give you the lowdown on what to expect.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Roll Ups and Downs

We have not really had too much scratching issues with our painted roll-ups. No more than the rest of the truck.

Roll-Up Ups:
    - Good opened compartment access
    - Stay closed
    - No hinges with sand in them

Downs:
    - Pullout trays are offset from the compartment wall to fit through the opening.
    We lost about 10" on each shelf for that.
    - They attract a lot of dirt on the ledge and bottom of the door
    - Don't forget to have Pierce install the stainless rain drip tray at the top. Otherwise when they are wet, they drip on you when rolled-up.

Standard doors Ups:
    - You can get under the vertically opening ones to get out of the weather.

Downs:
    - They stick out in the way when removing equipment.

Good luck with you purchase.

Forum Member

Default Roll doors

If you are using this vehicle primarily for rescue application I would strongly suggest going with roll doors. Roll doors will keep the fire fighter closer to the apparatus on highway related calls plus it's easier to deploy hydraulic lines along with air and/or cord reel pulls.

The one downfall I didn't see mentioned about roll doors is the need for securing of equipment. Spend the $ in your truck design to get brackets and secure your equipment because if they slide against a door you are in trouble plus it's a great excuse to get organized.

Roll doors have greatly improved over the years and I think they will serve long term for your needs. DON'T go with painted doors, painted doors look great leaving the factory but they will scratch when going down the road as dirt settles in the slats and when rolling up will scratch the finish.

The secret to good roll doors are to keep the side tracks silicone lubricated and once a year or so use white lithium grease on the nylon roller on the inside of the drum. (easier said then done because this requires you inside the compartment with door closed)

Good Luck......

MembersZone Subscriber

I am also in the roll-up camp, although I prefer the aesthetics of regular doors.

Good:

Closed is closed, there's no such thing as "it looked closed", hence it won't "pop" open. If not fully latched, it still is going to stay put.

When open, never in the way. No busted kneecaps or lacerated scalps (also, no maintenance/repair of tired hydraulic door lifts or said doors sagging down on you). Side-open doors often open 90 degrees, so you have to squeeze in between the doors when lifting heavy/large equipment. If the item is about the same size as the compartment (jaws power plant, generator, trash pump, PPV fan) you end up leaning over the equipment instead of carrying from the side, very hard on your back.

The lack of swing-out also slightly reduces your profile when in tight areas, narrow alleys, in traffic, etc.

Never have to reach inside and fumble around for the internal release handle or chain on the second door.

Can't tear them off when pulling out of or into the bay. See the "pop" open complaint.

For low side rear compartments that open up, never have to duck under to pull out equipment.

For all rear compartments, never any risk of tripping or otherwise injuring yourself on open compartment doors when climbing up to the hosebed or down again.

Less potential conflicts with hydraulic ladder racks.

Bad:

No weather cover!

Some loss of storage space. But they're lighter, so you can spec the rig slightly larger.
    Last edited by ElectricHoser; 07-10-2007 at 02:01 PM.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would say go with the roll ups. Coming from a person who removed a "standard door" (or whatever you want to call them) off of our engine.(it flipped open as I pulled out of the station but I took the blame for it as I felt bad about it to) Our new engine has all roll ups on it. They are very nice and we have had no problems with them.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Rollup Doors

I would vote for rollup doors. We have ROM doors on both of our engines, a 1997 and a 2008 that we just bought. Never had any problems with them. Ours are left natural (not painted) as we did not want to have paint problems (1997 theory) and with the new 2008 we wanted the trucks to match.

The one recommendation that I have is to spend the extra money and get guards for the doors so that your equipment does not bank into the door & mechanism.

Stay safe and good luck with your purchase.

-----------------------------------------
    www.sergeantsville.org

Let's talk fire trucks!

I am also pro-roll up doors. As for the paint issue, the rig that I ride at work is making roughly 2500 runs a year, so that means its been on roughly 20,000 calls since it's been in service. As one of the previous posters said, we have no more issues with the painted roll-up doors chipping paint than the rigs we have with satin-finish doors. Same goes with our rigs at the VFD.

Forum Member

One thing we found out is that with cutters and tools in the back of the engine it is difficult to position the engine to block traffic on the scene. Most of the time you need to pull past the scene to have the most convient access to the tools, thus having to find another way to block the rear of the accident from oncomming traffic. Our new rescue is due in about 11 months or so and all tools that are pre-connected are being placed in the front bumper so we can position behind the scene to protect ourselves and easily access the equiptment. Also, I hate roll-up doors.
    Last edited by malana1; 07-11-2007 at 01:39 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

It appears that half of the new deliveries with roll-up doors are painted. Is this purely for looks? Does the paint hold up better on different manufacturer's doors?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by malana1 View Post
    One thing we found out is that with cutters and tools in the back of the engine it is difficult to position the engine to block traffic on the scene. Most of the time you need to pull past the scene to have the most convient access to the tools, thus having to find another way to block the rear of the accident from oncomming traffic. Our new rescue is due in about 11 months or so and all tools that are pre-connected are being placed in the front bumper so we can position behind the scene to protect ourselves and easily access the equiptment. Also, I hate roll-up doors.
    So you currently sacrafice the safety of your crew because it's more convenient to pull the tools off the truck?

Do regular opening doors offer any more visibility options? Meaning, at a scene, when blocking the traffic lane, does the doors being open and reflective make a bigger "looking" object for drivers?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

First let me say that I am a Standard doors fan, however that is slowly changing. The more I work with Roll Up doors the more I like them.

I will say that in MY OPINION ROM makes the best. As long as you maintain them you should have no problem with them. I also like paint Roll UPs vs. non-painted, however painted Roll Ups are hard to kept in new condition do to the fact that they scratch.

Thread Information