Forum Member

Mine just say, "Bye, Mom."

But one is a teenager and the other a tweenager, so they're jaded, I guess! And when I get back, one of the will usually ask, "Did you save any burning kittens on this one?" LOL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mvfd27 View Post
    My father in law was a volunteer firefighter for many years and she tells me she and her siblings would help him find his shoes and keys and wish him well on his way out the door.

Apparantly after years of doing this she has burned out on the helping of finding things. Instead, she corrals our crazy border collie and wishes me well and a safe return. I return that favor when she leaves on EMS calls. Unless we both go for a structure fire response...anyway, the stories of the kids are really awesome.
    Your father in law have a side of him nobody really knows about? Seems to me he is infact a he-she!?!?!

According to you anyways.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

My 11 month old waves at me when my alpha pager goes off. The wife helps me to gather things(keys mostly), and she tells me that she wishes she could go as well.
    Firefighter II/EMT-Intermediate, ECFR, NC

"I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but who we know the work which the fireman has to do believe that his is noble calling. Our proudest moment is to save lives. Under the impulse of such thoughts, the nobility of the occupation thrills us and stimulates us to deeds of daring, even of supreme sacrifice."
    Chief Edward F. Crocker, FDNY

Member IACOJ

Forum Member

Default Housemates

My housemates learnt early on not to stand in the hallway when the pager went off. If it was my turn to cook dinner, they would ask what I was cooking and finish up......
    Funny thing is one of them just joined my station....got hooked seeing my run out the door

Badgerland FOOL

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    Your father in law have a side of him nobody really knows about? Seems to me he is infact a he-she!?!?!

According to you anyways.
    Um no....I just typed a poorly worded post....sorry for the confusion.

Forum Member

Um no....I just typed a poorly worded post....sorry for the confusion.
    HAHAHA. It's all good. Just havin a big of fun.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Badgerland FOOL

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    HAHAHA. It's all good. Just havin a big of fun.
    yeah, I know but what kinda son in law would I be if I didn't defend his honor.

Forum Member

yeah, I know but what kinda son in law would I be if I didn't defend his honor.
    True enough. Well done!

Ryan

Forum Member

Default kids

My 5 yr old does what he has done since he has been able to understand the radio traffic....repeat it to me just to make sure I know. He gets even more excited if he actually sees the vehicles enroute.

If I am at work, the wife usually calls me to let me know me know there has been a page, and my 5 yr old fills me in when I get home.

Forum Member

Default No kids, pager goes off, no problem

Most of the time its no problem as long as the significant other doesn't have plans for me. Of course our female German Shepherd sometimes won't let me back in bed once I get back but that's another story for another time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMtnsFirey View Post
    My housemates learnt early on not to stand in the hallway when the pager went off.
    It's pretty much the same thing at my place. My housemates hear my pager go off, ask me what it is and tell me "good luck". If it's an emergency at our college my one housemate who works for the college's ambulance will rush to his station too.

Forum Member

No kids yet but my dawggie(german shepherd and rot mix) jumps up and down and races to the door. If it's at nite she tugs on my arm til I get outta bed.
    One firefighter....one passion. and one hell of a b!tch if you rub me the wrong way.

Ich liebe Männer in der Uniform, die eine Mädchenwelt schaukeln können

Forum Member

My husband turns his pager to a volume not normal to humans while mine is at a comfortable volume by the bed. After it goes off and I peel myself off the ceiling, our dogs jump into our bed and keep it warm for us until we get back. If it's during the day, they just sit by the door and wait there until we get back.

MembersZone Subscriber

At our stations we have a room thats the play room for the kids. So when the pager goes off both of my kids are getting dressed and begging me to let them go. I have a boy that is 6 who scrambles to get his shoes on and my 3 year old daughter is falling in place now. The others members of our dept. who have kids do the same and who ever doesn't go on the run will help keep them in the room and watch over them. It's kinda a neat concept and from what I have been told by the old timers in the Dept. it has been that way for a long time. To our kids it is the best thing since sliced bread. They have there own social circle. So when they are in school it's kinda like being in a secret club for them. Plus they are our next generation of the FD. We already have a captain who's son has just joined because of this. My sons already learning what type of tools we are using. But I only let them come down with me if they are good. And so you know those of us that have kids live close to the fire station were we don't drive crazy SAFETY first.

Forum Member

I've got a captain on my department with a 3 year old little girl that we all swear is going to grow up to be a firefighter. According to him, any time it goes off, she runs and grabs it and shoves him out the door. She's a scream.

Thread Information