Forum Member

Question The Davis Dotson Combat Challenge

How many time does your explorer post or junior posts have the combat challenge?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by afrexplorer1 View Post
    How many time does your explorer post or junior posts have the combat challenge?
    We have something that we call a combat challenge. But you might want to enlighten everyone as to what a dotson combat challenge is.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Default Davis Dotson combat challenge.

The Davis Dotson Combat Challenge. When you hear that name, you’re about to face one of the toughest physical and mental challenges of your firefighting career. It will literally take your breath away.

A firefighter dons about 50 pounds of personal protective gear including a Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus and starts by carrying almost 50 pounds of fire hose up several flights of stairs. At the top of the stairs, the firefighter drops the hose bundle and pulls up a second roll of hose at the end of a long rope. Back down the stairs, still carrying the original bundle of hose, the firefighter simulates a forcible entry by pounding a sledge hammer against a five-foot railroad tie, moving the heavy wooden beam five feet along a steel track. By this time, only a couple of minutes have passed and your strength and breath are failing, but there’s more!

The firefighter race-walks about 140 feet, picks up the nozzle of a charged (full of water) one-and-three-quarters-inch hose line and advances the hose 100 feet, opening and closing the nozzle at the end of the advance. After that, the hardest part of the challenge is staring you in the face – the dummy drag. The firefighter must drag a 185-pound mannequin (nicknamed Rescue Randy) 50 feet. Once you cross the line, you don’t know whether to throw up, pass out, or cry – but you’re finished.

Forum Member

Default combat challenge

Forum Member

So pretty much what is known as the Scott Firefighter Combat Challenge now a days?
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

FE Engine Captain

Post Thank You

Thank you for the information afre. As a member of an explorer post in Western New York, our post participates in more EMS competitions then anything else. As the captain of my post, I have been trying to start a program for all the local fire explorer posts in my area. As I have posted in my Mock Disaster Question thread, I would appreciate any help as how to start a competition such as this one or something close to this. Thank You and I appreciate the information as always.
    FE Engine Captain #06
    http://www.southlinefireexplorers.com
    **The knowledge given within these forums is my own personal insight and information and does not and should not necessarily reflect any organizations that I am associated with**

Forum Member

Yah sounds like the scott combat challenge. Though you leave the bundle at the 5th floor or top of the tower. They have use a fancy called the http://www.keiser.com/products/other/forcemachine.html not a railroad tie; and the dummy is dragged 100 feet. Plus a hand full of people had it under two minutes and I could count the number of people on one hand that can do it is under 100 seconds that day. Looks fun.
    "...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother;..." - King Henry V - Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    It's not the brightest thing to come into a topic and try to provoke a bunch of guys/gals with more time on the firehouse crapper than you do in the firehouse.
    "crispitycrunchitypeanutbuttery t0ast" - DFurtman

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SLFEEC06 View Post
    Thank you for the information afre. As a member of an explorer post in Western New York, our post participates in more EMS competitions then anything else. As the captain of my post, I have been trying to start a program for all the local fire explorer posts in my area. As I have posted in my Mock Disaster Question thread, I would appreciate any help as how to start a competition such as this one or something close to this. Thank You and I appreciate the information as always.
    I really do not know how you would go by making a competition i guess talk to your post about it and you depts cheif then they might start one i don't know but i think that the cheif or someone will have to go to your city council i hope this helps.

Forum Member

The Davis Dotson Combat Challenge. When you hear that name, you’re about to face one of the toughest physical and mental challenges of your firefighting career. It will literally take your breath away.
    Not to try and sound like a Bad ***, but it wasnt that tough. Not even close to the toughest physical challenge I've ever had.

While it may be more challenging for some than it is for others, no one should be scared away.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

FE Engine Captain

Post Reply: Fire Combat Challenge

Well see, I am an explorer with a volunteer fire department. Being Captain I have a lot of pull and I have been collaberating with higher officials for sometime now on starting a competition such as this. Right now we are working on a location and different activities to perform during this competition.
    FE Engine Captain #06
    **The knowledge given within these forums is my own personal insight and information and does not and should not necessarily reflect any organizations that I am associated with**

MembersZone Subscriber

A firefighter dons about 50 pounds of personal protective gear including a Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus and starts by carrying almost 50 pounds of fire hose up several flights of stairs. At the top of the stairs, the firefighter drops the hose bundle and pulls up a second roll of hose at the end of a long rope. Back down the stairs, still carrying the original bundle of hose, the firefighter simulates a forcible entry by pounding a sledge hammer against a five-foot railroad tie, moving the heavy wooden beam five feet along a steel track. By this time, only a couple of minutes have passed and your strength and breath are failing, but there’s more!

The firefighter race-walks about 140 feet, picks up the nozzle of a charged (full of water) one-and-three-quarters-inch hose line and advances the hose 100 feet, opening and closing the nozzle at the end of the advance. After that, the hardest part of the challenge is staring you in the face – the dummy drag. The firefighter must drag a 185-pound mannequin (nicknamed Rescue Randy) 50 feet. Once you cross the line, you don’t know whether to throw up, pass out, or cry – but you’re finished.

Wow.

I'm speechless.

When is the sequel?
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DocVBFDE14 View Post
    Wow.

I'm speechless.

When is the sequel?
    I didn't even know there was another name for the combat challenge.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    I didn't even know there was another name for the combat challenge.
    Charlie Conway Combat Challenge??????

CCCC??????

QUACK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    Charlie Conway Combat Challenge??????

CCCC??????

QUACK!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Perhaps my friend

QUACK QUACK!!!!!!!!!!!

Ryan

Forum Member

Does any explorer post have the combat challenge?

Forum Member

Kid.. you're about 12 years late and a few dollars short...

I did the Firefighters Combat Challenge in 1996.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

we also started doing the combat challenge about 10 or 12 years ago...we even used it as part of our entrance exam for a couple of years prior to CPAT.
    Difference was job applicants were not on air. Now every member of our department (assigned to suppression) does combat challenge yearly as part of our annual job task assessment.

Alot of the guys do look at it as a competition....at my age i'm happy with anything under 5 minutes.
    Last edited by johnfd86; 07-21-2007 at 05:04 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnfd86 View Post
    we also started doing the combat challenge about 10 or 12 years ago...we even used it as part of our entrance exam for a couple of years prior to CPAT.
    Difference was job applicants were not on air. Now every member of our department (assigned to suppression) does combat challenge yearly as part of our annual job task assessment.

Alot of the guys do look at it as a competition....at my age i'm happy with anything under 5 minutes.
    Yeah a academy at our community college does it every week. and at the end you have to do it in under seven minutes. that is where i got the passage telling what the combat challenge is.

Forum Member

Smile

where is this held? and how many times a year?

Forum Member

At the challenge I go to we do this. It's one of the events.

My time this year was second best- 1 min 54 seconds. The winner got 1 min 52 sec. I was ****ed because the mallet I used for the force entry broke after I used it, and a new mallet was supplied, but the new one made the beam move a lot more. Eventually the judges added tape to it and the beam to lessen the impact, but by then, my time was 2nd best.

Forum Member

FE Engine Captain

Exclamation 2008 Fire Exploring Competition

**Accidental Double Post**
    Last edited by SLFEEC06; 07-26-2007 at 02:22 AM.
    FE Engine Captain #06

FE Engine Captain

Default 2008 Fire Exploring Competition

**Accidental Triple Post**
    Last edited by SLFEEC06; 07-26-2007 at 02:22 AM.
    FE Engine Captain #06

FE Engine Captain

Default 2008 Fire Exploring Competition

My explorer post has not competed in a firematic competition for over five years due to a lack of funding and a lack of resources available to hold the event. The fire company I am associated with is in the process of building their own training facility capable of holding an event such as this. I am in the process of creating a competition for the year of 2008. I'm not sure if you are looking for help, but I know I am with any information about events, running costs, equipment needed and any other information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,
    SLFEEC06
    FE Engine Captain #06

Thread Information