Thread: rapid dress

Forum Member

Question rapid dress

What is your best times at rapid dress? (full ppe and breathing off the scba).

Forum Member

Don't know. Haven't been timed since my Level 1 course. Generally I'm not to worried about my time but rather what's facing me at the call that we are responding too.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

bout a min to min and a half ish area dono its been a while

FE Engine Captain

Post Relpy: Rapid Dress

If you can get dress in full ppe and be breating off an SCBA then you are probably one of the fastest people I have ever seen or heard of donning full ppe and breathing of an SCBA. I know that most if not all paid fire departments require no more then a one minute time to get dressed in full ppe and then another minute to have the SCBA on but not breathing air. This equals to two minutes without breathing air for paid companies. If anyone can get to one minute or a minute and a half you are pretty much set. Personally, I can get under this two minute time limit but most explorers in my post cannot. Nothing a little practice can't fix. I wish all of you good luck and fast dressing.
    Last edited by SLFEEC06; 07-10-2007 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Error in typing
    FE Engine Captain #06
    http://www.southlinefireexplorers.com
    **The knowledge given within these forums is my own personal insight and information and does not and should not necessarily reflect any organizations that I am associated with**

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by afrexplorer1 View Post
    What is your best times at rapid dress? (full ppe and breathing off the scba).
    Why would the time matter? I would rather have someone in full ppe the propper and safe way then someone zipping right through it.

Forum Member

Unless the call is right behind the firehall my time would be pretty crappy anyways. I don't waste air responding to a call.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dday05 View Post
    Why would the time matter? I would rather have someone in full ppe the propper and safe way then someone zipping right through it.
    Yeah i know me two I'm just asking how fast you are at competitions.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SLFEEC06 View Post
    If you can get dress in full ppe and be breating off an SCBA then you are probably one of the fastest people I have ever seen or heard of donning full ppe and breathing of an SCBA. I know that most if not all paid fire departments require no more then a one minute time to get dressed in full ppe and then another minute to have the SCBA on but not breathing air. This equals to two minutes without breathing air for paid companies. If anyone can get to one minute or a minute and a half you are pretty much set. Personally, I can get under this two minute time limit but most explorers in my post cannot. Nothing a little practice can't fix. I wish all of you good luck and fast dressing.
    Yeah we have too get dressed in full ppe and breathing air in 1 minute and thirty seconds. i use to get it in over two minutes but now i can get it in if i remember right 1 minute and 20 seconds.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dday05 View Post
    Becuase NPQ says it does. It WILL BE one of the 18 practicles you have to complete for NPQ FF1.

Just for the record, in my basic FF class there was a girl who would completly dressed, breathing air in roughly 40 seconds. Insane.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

I can be in my gear in roughly 20 or so seconds I believe....give or take a few seconds for the weather... We haven't done it in a while, but that is all we do for competitions.

We've done it a few times at the station screwing around having to go on air. And I believe that I was somewhere just under a min.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

The last time I rapid dressed I get around 23 seconds in only turnouts. The last time I did turnouts and SCBA I got around a min. and 45(and that was the only time I dressed in ppe and SCBA). But, like almost everyone in this thread, I have not rapid dressed in awhile so my time is probably higher. I also don't try to keep my time down. If a Fire call comes in, I put on my turnout pants and throw my coat and helmet on the Engine.

MembersZone Subscriber

Dunno about rapid dress....but I know I can undress rapidly
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

Haven't really times myself. But I know in January when we did SCBA recert, I did it for fun, and was way under 2 minutes full PPE and on air. But no exact time for ya.

Forum Member

When I took my scba course put on by some of the guys at my station I had to put it all on in the dark and I did it in a minute fifty

Forum Member

My regular time for full gear and scba on and runing air is 37 seconds flat!

Forum Member

56 seconds. just got timed in Fire Fighter 1 last week.

Forum Member

Default gearin up fast

fast times are good but remember accuracy outweighs speed

Forum Member

full ppe in 42 seconds and on air in about 72 seconds
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH214 View Post
    fast times are good but remember accuracy outweighs speed
    HEAR HEAR!! that reminds me! We had a guy make it in 36 seconds. but! he put his hood on backwards so the entire back side of his neck was exposed and the seal around his mask was not so good. Still not exactly sure how he got it that way.

EDIT:!!! THIS WAS JUST FOR DONNING THE SCBA!!!
    Last edited by t0asty; 07-25-2007 at 03:12 PM.
    "...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother;..." - King Henry V - Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    It's not the brightest thing to come into a topic and try to provoke a bunch of guys/gals with more time on the firehouse crapper than you do in the firehouse.
    "crispitycrunchitypeanutbutter y t0ast" - DFurtman

Forum Member

I have no idea what my time was when we tested, all I know is it was fast and we had to get into our seats, buckle and unbuckle as we donned our SCBA's. All I know now is that it's fast enough to be on the rig and ready to go.

Forum Member

as long as i am ready before i get onscene thats good

Forum Member

explorers and juniors firefighters go on scene in the USA?wow,in France it is forbidden,they learn about firefighting and roll the hoses at the station but they never go on calls.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

Forum Member

Smile

I can have my ppe on in 20-30 seconds and complete with scba and air on is 1min 18sec.

Forum Member

@frenchfireball - Yes, some departments allow their Exp/Jr's to go to the scene. It's a great learning experience. But not every department allows it. It's up to the individual department as to what Exp/Jr's can and can't do.

Forum Member

I usually put my pants on first and put my coat on in the rig if we're going to a fire or drill, and then the helmet and gloves. With SCBA I can do it in 1 min. 20 secs. At some drills we don't need wear full gear, maybe coats and pants if it's crappy out, but if it's nice out, we just wear street clothes. The FFs do the same too.

Thread Information