Forum Member

Default We need help really bad

I'm posting this because we are desperate and it's a legitimate and really worthy cause. If it's a problem, please let me know and I'll remove it.
    I'm sorry if it is a mistake, but please allow this one time.

Hi all,

I am asking here for help for our Volunteer Fire Department.

In 2006, I wrote a grant for a desperately needed new fire truck. We were awarded that grant, and ordered the truck. It will be completed and delivered in late August.

The matching funds was presented to our Town Board and approved, but since then there has been a major setback. Our Town has been sued over a past debt and now the money/funds are not there for us.
    We just found out tonight at 6pm.

We now have to come up with $12,360 in matching funds by end of August or we won't be able to pay for the truck.

We are a 100% Volunteeer Department and run on a less than $20,000 annual budget. We just don't have that kind of money, and won't have it unless we get help from others.

What I'm asking here is for Donations of any amount.
    I know it's not the usual fare for this board, but the folks here immediately came to my mind when asked if I knew of anyone who might be willing to help.

All donations are Tax Deductible, and we would be glad to send you a reciept if you'd like one.
    Donations of any amount would be helpful.
    I hate begging my friends, but we're at a loss for options.

Thank you all in advance,

Don "MedicineMan" Larson

Donations, should you wish to help, can be sent to:

Marion Volunteer Fire & Rescue

PO Box 417

Marion, MS 39342

Forum Member

Have you tried to get a loan through one of your local banks? $12,360 for $250,000 truck worth of collateral seems easy to pull off.

Might give it a try!!!!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

MembersZone Subscriber

start having fund raisers, let your public people know what your faceing and ask them for help and like thefirenut said go to a bank good luck

Forum Member

Sue the town. They promised you funds, they re-negged on the deal.....
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Sue the town. They promised you funds, they re-negged on the deal.....
    Won't do much good. They were being sued for a prior debt. So that entity will get their monies first.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Any local businesses you can hit up? Corporate Sponsorship, company donation, that sort of thing?
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Have a fund raiser. A local fd in our area is selling raffle tickets for 1/2 of a beef with a freezer. The tickets are selling for $10.00. That would easilly add up. A local farmer donated it. If all else fails go to a bank.

MembersZone Subscriber

PM me more info to make me feel comfortable and I'll make a small donation.

Itís really not a large amount of money. Reach out to the local businesses.
    Stand on corners with boots for donations, wash cars, sell cupcakes. Have friends, family and neighbors call local & state politicians. It's the perfect situation for a politician with ambition.
    Last edited by RoughRider; 07-10-2007 at 03:19 PM.
    Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.

IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm a nice guy and all. But after getting ripped off by Prince Azaeem my distant cousin and heir to the throne in Mozambique or some other place, I'm leary of just giving away money.

I'm still awaiting my check for $60 million from the Prince
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

If I'm not mistaken the Lauderdale county bought your last pumper and it is due to buy another one in about 4 years. Why not just go to them and request that they pick up the 12,600 and in 4 years the county will not have to buy your dept another one.

MembersZone Subscriber

Are there any neighboring agencies that depend on your for MA that will benefit from this truck? Perhaps they can help.

If your relationship with the local media (TV/papers) is good, they can put a nice spin on a donation plea if needed.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Forum Member

We have alot larger budget but still don't get enough funding to cover all our expences. We have to do alot of fund raising such as coin tosses,dinners and numerous other things. We also do fund drives that bring in a good amount. I think if your community knew the deal they would try to help out since it really is for their benifit to have good working equipment.

Forum Member

Now granted I come from the land of million dollar trucks amd mansion type firhouses, but I cant fathom running anything on 20,000 dollars a year. What is your protection area or district made up of. How many homes and businesses do you protect. Is there no fire tax levied? Who owns your equipment and buildings? How many calls do you run a year?

Forum Member

Default Get a Loan

Our Deaprtment had the same problem a few years back (5). The doors were going to close and we we going to go bankrupt. With a new Fire Chief and a new Board Of Fire Commissioners we took out a loan , made payments and we are now debt free .We now have our money in that very same bank now.
    It can be done .......just explain it to your Chief and let the board know also.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

I guess if we arent sending you truckloads of cash you arent interested in our help.

Forum Member

Default Been there done that

Rescuedawg...I was in the same boat. Big Department Million Dollar homes. Now I'm retired and live where there are Million Dollar homes ...only the Fire Department is 9 with Volunteers . I'm one of the new Commissioners and we have struggled to get out of debt and can now say...."We're Debt Free!!". It can be done.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

When we wrote our grant for a new rescue engine in 2005 we planned to pay the matching funds out of fundraiser money. We paid the matching amount and an additional $5K for things we determined we wanted and needed that weren;t covered by tthe grant. Took us about 6 years to raise that money. It would seem to me that if you have a track record of fund raisers you should be able to guestimate the time frame you would need for a loan and borrow the money to pay for it.

The cool thing to me is the ability to tell the crabby old people that they didn't pay once damn cent of their local taxes for this rig when they start bitching about why did we need that?

Having said all that i am still frustrated and amazed by the absolute stupidity of some politicians when it comes to funding fire departments and especially in the case of paying $12K for a brand new fire engine.

FyredUp

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post

Having said all that i am still frustrated and amazed by the absolute stupidity of some politicians when it comes to funding fire departments and especially in the case of paying $12K for a brand new fire engine.

FyredUp
    Yes I know what you mean here. A read not to long ago a fd was attempting to put in for 2 new pumpers and they would have to pay I think around $40,000 total that includes both trucks. The local politicians were arguing over that. These trucks are in serious need of being replaced also. I don't remember the complete story as it was a few months ago and I could be wrong on the dollar amount. 12k for a new pumper is awesome! I'll see if I can dig this story up.

Forum Member

A few years ago in effort to raise money for a thermal imager, our department got sponsorship from a local radio station and we auctioned off our single firefighters for dates. The radio station sponsored/paid for the chaperoned date with a firefighter. We were able to raise quite a bit of money for our TI's. I don't know if this would be an option for you or not.

Thread Information