Forum Member

Default The Tradition continues...

From the Worcester Telegram.com

Firefighter’s sons continue legacy

Brothertons among nine new recruits

By Ellie Oleson CORRESPONDENT

AUBURN— Paul A. Brotherton, one of six Worcester firefighters killed in a warehouse fire in Worcester on Dec. 3, 1999, may be gone, but his legacy lives on in his six sons, two of whom became Auburn call firefighters last week.

Michael P. Brotherton, 22, just returned to Auburn after serving in the Air Force as a firefighter.

This fall, Steven P. Brotherton, 18, will be attending Anna Maria College, where he will join his brother, Brian G. Brotherton, 21, in studying fire science.

Steven and Michael were among nine new firefighters welcomed by selectmen last night.

Steven said he was 10 when his father died in the Worcester Cold Storage and Warehouse Co. fire. It did nothing to deter him from his goal of becoming a firefighter.

“I think about it, but it doesn’t slow me down,” he said. “Our mother (Denise A. Brotherton) supports everything we do. Brian is planning to be a firefighter, too.”

The three younger Brotherton boys, Timothy, 16, Jonathan, 15, and David , 13, are too young to decide their future careers, though Steven said, “David shows a little interest in firefighting.”

Bravery and a willingness to serve appear to run in many firefighting families. Of the nine new firefighters welcomed by selectmen last night, six were inspired by family members who are firefighters.

Lancaster Firefighter Martin McNamara was 31 when he died in a fire in Lancaster on Nov. 29, 2003. His cousin, Donald R. O’Brien, 27, became an Auburn call firefighter on July 1.

“My plan is to go full-time and do this as a career,” Mr. O’Brien said. “You hear about the tragedies, but there are far more good calls you don’t hear about. I’m very excited. This is the first step, with a long way to go.”

Also a new call firefighter in Auburn is Kimberly A. LaRochelle, 22, daughter of Worcester Firefighter Paul R. LaRochelle. Her grandfather was a call firefighter in Southbridge, where her uncle Ajay LaRochelle is assistant fire chief and her uncle John LaRochelle is a fire captain.

“My dad has been very supportive. Without him, I probably wouldn’t be an EMT,” Ms. LaRochelle said.

New Auburn Call Firefighter Richard Nicholson, 36, was inspired by his uncle Thomas Gorham, a call firefighter in Woodstock.

“I remember when he brought me to the station. I’ve always wanted to be a firefighter. I plan to do this full-time,” Mr. Nicholson said.

Four new career firefighter-paramedics were also introduced to selectmen by Fire Chief William A. Whynot last night.

“I’m very excited. The additional full-time personnel will help in opening the West Street fire station, and we need new call people as much as ever,” Chief Whynot said.

Firefighter-Paramedic Jonathan C. Martin, 25, is the son of Ken Martin, deputy fire chief in Dunn’s Corners Fire Department in Westerly, R.I., where Mr. Martin started as a junior firefighter at age 14.

“I was the last (WPI) student firefighter in the West Auburn Fire Station,” he said.

Aaron D. Reed, 32, joined the Auburn Fire Department after 10 years with Worcester’s emergency medical service.

“I reached a transition point,” he said. “I’m the first firefighter in my family.”

William F. O’Connor, 24, said he is also the first in his family to be a firefighter-paramedic.

“I knew when I was 16 in Sutton that this is what I wanted to be,” he said.

Jeremy J. Peters, 30, served as an EMT and then paramedic for a decade with Patriot Ambulance before deciding to become an Auburn firefighter.

“I come from a family of teachers. I’m the first firefighter, but I probably won’t be the last,” he said.

He and his wife, Elise Peters, a Worcester police officer, have one child, Victoria, 3.

“She already says she’ll be a firefighter-paramedic when she grows up,” Mr. Peters said. “It drives my wife crazy.”
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

It doesn't seem like 8 years since the Cold Storage fire that took 6 brothers from us.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

How cool is that ?> ..........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Good for them!! Good luck to these future Brothers. 8 years? Sure doesn't seem that long ago. RIP Brothers.

MembersZone Subscriber

My hat goes off to each of them...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Weruj1 View Post
    How cool is that ?> ..........
    My hat goes off to each of them...

I agree with the above two gentlemen.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Thread Information