Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Thompson,MB,Canada
    Posts
    4

    Default Ok 14 year old male needs to get ready...

    Ok Im Canadian (haha) and I want to be a firefighter. So the friendly neighbors to the south have a firefighter forum. I was looking through pages and found it. Anyways, Ive got my courses planned out so I benifit from them. I just passed grade 9 which is your freshmen I guess. And taking grade 10-11 core classes to get them out of the way. Following year or 2 depending on what I decide to do will be made up of gym and outdoor ed. Followed with first aid courses and the after school program which I have to be 16 to participate in. I want to know from you guys what I should do to get in good shape. Due to the weather being almost -30 to -50 degrees C. Theres not alot of stuff I can do out of school. So I need to know activities and work outs I can do to keep in shape. I eat healthy with alot of fibre,fruits and veggies. I eat brown break and drink lots of water. Ive been spending alot of time working at the lake and doing activities such as swimming and cutting logs...ect. Im thinking of buying gear for hiking because we have excellent paths around here.

    Well thanks for reading and helping.


  2. #2
    Forum Member ndvfdff33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Winterpeg Manitoba
    Posts
    2,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
    Ok Im Canadian (haha) and I want to be a firefighter. So the friendly neighbors to the south have a firefighter forum. I was looking through pages and found it. Anyways, Ive got my courses planned out so I benifit from them. I just passed grade 9 which is your freshmen I guess. And taking grade 10-11 core classes to get them out of the way. Following year or 2 depending on what I decide to do will be made up of gym and outdoor ed. Followed with first aid courses and the after school program which I have to be 16 to participate in. I want to know from you guys what I should do to get in good shape. Due to the weather being almost -30 to -50 degrees C. Theres not alot of stuff I can do out of school. So I need to know activities and work outs I can do to keep in shape. I eat healthy with alot of fibre,fruits and veggies. I eat brown break and drink lots of water. Ive been spending alot of time working at the lake and doing activities such as swimming and cutting logs...ect. Im thinking of buying gear for hiking because we have excellent paths around here.

    Well thanks for reading and helping.

    Are you looking to stay in Canada as a Firefighter???

    If you are check out www.firehall.com

    Canadian version of this. Might as well check it out anyways.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

    Ryan

  3. #3
    Forum Member FIREGIRL4EVER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North Carolina Backwoods
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Personally, I love being in shape. I'm really into the outdoors stuff. I'm practially a tomboy. I try satying fit by hiking, rock climbing, running, lifting weights, and etc. Get yourself a rountine together that you can do everyday to strenghen yourself and your ablities.
    One firefighter....one passion. and one hell of a b!tch if you rub me the wrong way.


    Ich liebe Männer in der Uniform, die eine Mädchenwelt schaukeln können

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Thompson,MB,Canada
    Posts
    4

    Default Im Back

    Im back from the lake and have put my time in at work. I scouted out some trails that look easy and hard. So I'm going down south to Winnipeg Manitoba. Ill go to the sports stores and surplus stores. I have roughly 1K to go spend on clothing,equipment and whatever I want. But I really want to go on hiking trips to a park around 1 hour away with a nice waterfall and long steep paths. My cousin suggested hiking because he enjoys it and he says I will enjoy it to while working out my leg muscles.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Thompson,MB,Canada
    Posts
    4

    Default Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    Are you looking to stay in Canada as a Firefighter???

    If you are check out www.firehall.com

    Canadian version of this. Might as well check it out anyways.
    WOW I had no clue there was a canadian one. Never came up on searches. Well thanks this will help me out alot.

  6. #6
    Forum Member jrfireemt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    utah
    Posts
    98

    Default

    hey, i'm 13, so two years younger than you, and i'm going to be a firefighter too. but the advice i've been getting is, find an explorer program around, and try to get involved, you want to try to take your emt-b instead of first aid if you can. and as far as building strength, go and get yourself one of these weight vests, and jsut wear it as much as you can, around the house, and jsut when your doing everyday things. eventually it will build up your upper muscles.

    http://www.ironwearfitness.com/
    All men are created equal, then a few become firemen.

  7. #7
    FE Engine Captain
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cheektowaga, New York
    Posts
    42

    Exclamation Reply:Getting Ready

    I do agree with jrfireemt that you do want to get in shape and you do want to get involved with the fire service as early as possible, but I do not believe that at 14 years of age you can take your EMT-B. It would be wise to take your CFR at the age of 16 if possible, which I am doing now. This will prepare you for your EMT-B when you turn 18. Along with this, I would just research firematic and medical topics to also better prepare both your mind and body for the demanding job as a firefighter.

    Good Luck
    FE Engine Captain #06
    http://www.southlinefireexplorers.com
    **The knowledge given within these forums is my own personal insight and information and does not and should not necessarily reflect any organizations that I am associated with**

  8. #8
    Forum Member jrfireemt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    utah
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLFEEC06 View Post
    I do agree with jrfireemt that you do want to get in shape and you do want to get involved with the fire service as early as possible, but I do not believe that at 14 years of age you can take your EMT-B. It would be wise to take your CFR at the age of 16 if possible, which I am doing now. This will prepare you for your EMT-B when you turn 18. Along with this, I would just research firematic and medical topics to also better prepare both your mind and body for the demanding job as a firefighter.

    Good Luck
    yeah, if you have a small chat with your local emt-b instructor, you could probably sit in. i get to take it, so it's possible.
    All men are created equal, then a few become firemen.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Thompson,MB,Canada
    Posts
    4

    Thumbs up Lucky number 16

    Ok as I have said above. The key number for my education and everything is 16. The classes and courses offered up here are limited and are restricted to 16 and older. The after school classes start at age 16 sort of like your JR programs. Full driver lisences are given at 16 ect. And Im only 14 so it would make us 1 year apart. Remember I live in a city with roughly 14-16 thousand people. So I can only do so much. Our high school has been getting all these courses in the last 3 years.

    So thanks again, And Ill be going south tommorow and Ill tell you guys what I picked up if its worth talking about. But S.I.R and Sports center are on my list. I already kayak around the lake. Flipped it on purpose to simulate if I was in open water and found it difficult to flip around due to life jacket pulling me up. So Im buying a skirt.Hiking bag.Weights.Possibly a vest. Mabye a nice mountain bike.

    Anyways Ill see you all later
    -take care

  10. #10
    FE Engine Captain
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cheektowaga, New York
    Posts
    42

    Post Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by jrfireemt View Post
    yeah, if you have a small chat with your local emt-b instructor, you could probably sit in. i get to take it, so it's possible.
    Although you may be able to sit in, you are not allowed to become certified until a certain age. If you are qualified at the age of thirteen please let me know and I will change this post immediately but with the information I have, I am under the impression that you have to be a certain age to become certified in any fire service class. I began to take my CFR classes at the age of 15 but had to be 16 in order to take the class. In my post to the original thread source, I was trying to explain to get as much knowledge possible and to get as much certifications as possible. Sitting in on an EMT-B course would help you immensely but becoming certified as a CFR will help you even more.

    SLFEEC06
    Last edited by SLFEEC06; 07-16-2007 at 07:10 PM.
    FE Engine Captain #06
    http://www.southlinefireexplorers.com
    **The knowledge given within these forums is my own personal insight and information and does not and should not necessarily reflect any organizations that I am associated with**

  11. #11
    Forum Member t0asty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    297

    Default

    It could help if you also got your first aid. Just one more thing you know before you are able to take the EMT-b class.
    "...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother;..." - King Henry V - Shakespeare

    Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    It's not the brightest thing to come into a topic and try to provoke a bunch of guys/gals with more time on the firehouse crapper than you do in the firehouse.
    "crispitycrunchitypeanutbutter y t0ast" - DFurtman

  12. #12
    Forum Member ndvfdff33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Winterpeg Manitoba
    Posts
    2,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
    WOW I had no clue there was a canadian one. Never came up on searches. Well thanks this will help me out alot.
    Definitely check out. It will be a much greater advantage to you if you want to stay in Canada and persue a career as a Firefighter.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

    Ryan

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Thompson,MB,Canada
    Posts
    4

    Default ...grrrrr

    GRRRR It never saved my post I typed out this morning.

    Ok the lucky number in my area is 16.You need to be 16 to take all those classes. Need to be 16 to get a decent job. 16 to get your drivers license. And to the guy above its 1 year younger. O yah I will pick up a hiking back pack and gear. Also I will pick up a lip for my kayak because I practised rolling it to see what would happen if it happened far away and it filled up and almost sank...... Anyways it'll save me the long swimming distance dragging the boat.

    Thanks and what is EMT-B? I might know but I cant get the letters figured out.

  14. #14
    Forum Member jrfireemt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    utah
    Posts
    98

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by SLFEEC06 View Post
    Although you may be able to sit in, you are not allowed to become certified until a certain age. If you are qualified at the age of thirteen please let me know and I will change this post immediately but with the information I have, I am under the impression that you have to be a certain age to become certified in any fire service class. I began to take my CFR classes at the age of 15 but had to be 16 in order to take the class. In my post to the original thread source, I was trying to explain to get as much knowledge possible and to get as much certifications as possible. Sitting in on an EMT-B course would help you immensely but becoming certified as a CFR will help you even more.

    SLFEEC06
    yeah, sorry, i didnt state that clearly, i get to sit-in, and participate, but i cnat get certified, but i may get to take a test my teacher may give me, and run a practical with a dummy, but besides getting a card and patch, it's pretty musch thae same thing as getting certified.

    like i said, if you can, go for the emt-b, but you just have to be willing take it about two months before your 18 b-day, so it may get boring, but remember, medical stuff is always changing.
    All men are created equal, then a few become firemen.

  15. #15
    FE Engine Captain
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cheektowaga, New York
    Posts
    42

    Post Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
    Thanks and what is EMT-B? I might know but I cant get the letters figured out.
    EMT-B stands for Emergency Medical Technician Basic. This is the basic level EMT class taught.
    FE Engine Captain #06
    http://www.southlinefireexplorers.com
    **The knowledge given within these forums is my own personal insight and information and does not and should not necessarily reflect any organizations that I am associated with**

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. HOUSTON walked away from this contract
    By Firewalker1 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 05-17-2007, 12:34 AM
  2. Riverton Chief Not Re-appointed; Members Quit!
    By ChiefReason in forum Illinois
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 11-19-2006, 02:06 PM
  3. Happy New Year Everyone
    By MalahatTwo7 in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-01-2004, 02:38 AM
  4. More School Safety Issues
    By captstanm1 in forum Florida
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-16-2003, 03:54 PM
  5. What year was the first US Fire Dept.?
    By BC 307 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-16-2001, 10:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts