Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default I Think This Falls Into The

Ship High In Transit Files:

Pope Says Catholicism Only True Church
    Benedict XVI Approves Document Saying Orthodox Churches Defective

POSTED: 12:05 am EDT July 11, 2007

LORENZAGO DI CADORE, Italy -- Pope Benedict XVI has reasserted the universal primacy of the Roman Catholic Church, approving a document that says Orthodox churches are defective and that other Christian denominations are not true churches.

The document, released Tuesday, restates key sections of a 2000 document that set off a firestorm of criticism among Protestant and other Christian denominations. It said they were not true churches but merely ecclesial communities and therefore did not have the "means of salvation."

In the new document and an accompanying commentary it says "Christ 'established here on earth' only one church." It says the other communities "cannot be called 'churches' in the proper sense" because they do not have the ability to trace their bishops back to Christ's original apostles.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press.

Whats he trying to do? Start up the Crusades again? I should also point out that while I was born and baptized Catholic {non-practicing} - but I do not agree with this at all.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

And he wonders why nobody pays attention to the Church anymore...

What a Mutt.
    It is not about who is the only church, it is about doing right by your fellow man.

Man this burns my cookies!
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Pope Benedict XVI has reasserted the universal primacy of the Roman Catholic Church, approving a document that says Orthodox churches are defective and that other Christian denominations are not true churches.

Does that include Scientology...cuz if it does, Tom Cruise is gonna be ******ed!

Quote Originally Posted by mvfd27 View Post
    Pope Benedict XVI has reasserted the universal primacy of the Roman Catholic Church, approving a document that says Orthodox churches are defective and that other Christian denominations are not true churches.

Does that include Scientology...cuz if it does, Tom Cruise is gonna be ******ed!
    I wonder how this sits with Chuck Norris? Is he a Church-man or is he an "Other"?
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    I wonder how this sits with Chuck Norris? Is he a Church-man or is he an "Other"?
    If I were the Pope I'd beef up security just in case.

MembersZone Subscriber

There are a whole bunch of Muslim clerics who feel kind of the same way about their churches, too.

I personally think that the US Catholic Church, as an institution, is about 10 years away from extinction. The sex scandal will bankrupt them (well on the way), and the decades long cover up will drive people away by the thousands (well on the way). They will have extreme difficulty in recruiting people to enter the priesthood and sisterhood (well on the way). This will leave the church as one with a predominantly elderly population in the US, and with a predominance of their members in third world countries (well on the way). The religion is ancient and irrelevant.

Oh yeah. Raised Catholic. Bailed about 15 years ago. Now member of a Bible-believing Protestant Church with teachings that truly reflect the actions of Christ.

(Save it, Bob. I am not getting into a atheist fight no matter what you type).

I'll be quick about this, and just say that I was not looking to encourage a theological debate about which religion is better than which, or whose church does a better job of intrepeting the bible or what have you - not my intent at all. (although I'm sure its gonna head that way anyhow.)

In general though, I concur with George's remarks, although in my case, the Family bailed on organized religion even before I was born - just one Grandmother who insisted on the baptism for my sister and I. Even though I am not a practicing Anything religious, it does not stop me from respecting the choice of those who do, or to participate when invited - I don't have to "Believe" to be respectful. The world would be a much better place if most of everyone could just do that little bit, I think.

The Pope is a moron. My wife and I call him the Pope-a-Dope.

There are a large number of teachings within the Catholic Church that have little or no basis within the Bible. Historically speaking, "The Church" has basically chastised, persecuted, beheaded, beaten, stoned, burned, tortured, and mutilated anyone who disagreed with its teachings, philosphies, or edicts.

This is a continuation of the same stuff spewed from about every Pope there has been. Do we need to remind anyone of the persecutions of the Waldenses, John Wycliffe, Huss & Jerome, Martin Luther, the Inquisitions, and the collaboration with Hitler & the Third Reich in World War II for the persecution of Jews to be allowed.

Nothing changes, only the same crap.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    The Pope is a moron. My wife and I call him the Pope-a-Dope.

There are a large number of teachings within the Catholic Church that have little or no basis within the Bible. Historically speaking, "The Church" has basically chastised, persecuted, beheaded, beaten, stoned, burned, tortured, and mutilated anyone who disagreed with its teachings, philosphies, or edicts.

This is a continuation of the same stuff spewed from about every Pope there has been. Do we need to remind anyone of the persecutions of the Waldenses, John Wycliffe, Huss & Jerome, Martin Luther, the Inquisitions, and the collaboration with Hitler & the Third Reich in World War II for the persecution of Jews to be allowed.

Nothing changes, only the same crap.

Did you ever notice when you go to the bookstore that you can buy The Holy Bible and you can buy the Catholic Bible? They had to write a bunch of extra books just to get in their non-Biblical rules.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

(yawning, scratching my ***) "Honey where's the remote? I need to change the channel the pope is talking again."

Totally and cmpletely irrelevant to anything in my life.

If he is what you need or whom you follow more power to you.

Have a nice day.

FyredUp

MembersZone Subscriber ffemtPAJ's Avatar

I am Orthodox Christian and never thought of myself or my church as "defective."
    PAJ

IACOJ Rehab Sector

As I have gotten older and wiser, I have developed a slight case of dyslexia and insomnia with a touch of agnosticism...

I stay up all night wondering if there is a Dog...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

The following statement refers to the dogma of all churches but not to the individual believes of the member therein.

Don't all churches believe what they teach is the TRUTH and all other churches only teach partial truths or outright lies?

If that's not the case, why do people believe Tom Cru**se is a nut case by being a Scientologist?

Historically, there are many more books of the bible than the 66. They were the only ones cantonized.

Quote Originally Posted by SamuelFire View Post
    Historically, there are many more books of the bible than the 66. They were the only ones cantonized.
    Yes, that is very true. And the cantonized ones are the only ones that follow the Churchs idea of what is "good". They have refused to accept anything that goes against what might be construed as heritcal writing, because someone might receive it as bad Ju-ju or something. As somebody said before, "You can't have "good" things without "evil/bad" things, because how would you be able to differentiate between one or the other?"

The one observation I've made over the years is that many religious people do not like their views challenged and often will retort by devaluing others' views. But in my mind having your views challenged only strenghtens your faith as it forces you to question yourself and look inside as to why you have these beliefs. Also, I think one's faith grows stronger by respecting the beliefs of others.

I guess what I'm saying is that religion and its discussion should be a mutual respect kind of thing, believe what you want and feel free to defend those beliefs and at the same time any discussion of others' beliefs should be respectful and open...not debasing or closed minded.

I guess what I'm saying is that religion and its discussion should be a mutual respect kind of thing, believe what you want and feel free to defend those beliefs and at the same time any discussion of others' beliefs should be respectful and open...not debasing or closed minded.
    HUUAAAHHH!!! We have a winner! I am in 100% agreement.

[b]

HUUAAAHHH!!! We have a winner! I am in 100% agreement.
    Wow....been married almost 7 years...rarely ever hear the word agreement. Let alone 100% agreement.:

Quote Originally Posted by SamuelFire View Post
    Don't all churches believe what they teach is the TRUTH and all other churches only teach partial truths or outright lies?
    All churches? no. That particular conceit seems to be endemic to Christianity and its close cousins, Judaism and Islam. Their "our way or the highway" philosophy most definitley isn't universal to all religions.

All in all, things have been going downhill for the Catholic Church ever since it lost the political power to simply kill off anyone who opposed it...
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Quote Originally Posted by mvfd27 View Post
    Wow....been married almost 7 years...rarely ever hear the word agreement. Let alone 100% agreement.:
    Sure ya have. Everytime there is discussion, you are in agreeement with what she says. heheheehehehe

Sure ya have. Everytime there is discussion, you are in agreeement with what she says. heheheehehehe
    Let me rephrase.....agreement in relations to things I say......

Thread Information