Thread: Dang!

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Dang!

I'm not a NASCAR fan, so that part of this story is kinda meaningless to me, but the incident is another story.....

5 Killed When NASCAR-Linked Plane Crashes. At Least 2 Homes Burning

POSTED: 9:55 am EDT July 10, 2007
    UPDATED: 3:26 pm EDT July 10, 2007

SANFORD, Fla. -- A plane that was registered to a company linked to late-NASCAR chairman Bill France Jr. crashed into two homes near Orlando killing five people, including two children.

NASCAR.com confirmed that Bruce Kennedy, husband of International Speedway Corp. president Lesa France Kennedy and the pilot of the twin-engine Cessna 310, died in the crash.

Sanford Fire Chief Gerard Ransom confirmed the five fatalities. The identities of the dead were not released but NASCAR confirmed the identity of Kennedy, a Daytona Beach plastic surgeon and Michael Klemm, a senior captain with NASCAR Aviation.

"It is clear that numerous families were affected by this terrible tragedy and unfortunately several people were deceased or seriously injured," NASCAR said in a statement. "Our deepest sympathies and prayers are with all of those who were involved in this tragic accident and their families."

Officials said that there were fatalities in both the houses that were struck by the plane. The houses were nearly leveled by the flames.

The plane was en route to Lakeland, Fla. from Daytona, Fla., according to the Federal Aviation Administration.

An off-duty firefighter was injured as well. The investigator said the firefighter was on the scene before the on-duty responders, and that he was not seriously hurt.

Smoke has been rising from the area, and firefighters have been dousing homes with water.

Airport officials said the trouble call from the Cessna came in to the tower at 8:35 a.m. EDT.

The FAA said the pilot was trying to land in Orlando when the plane crashed about a mile or two north of the airport.

The plane was registered to Competitor Liaison Bureau Inc. of Daytona Beach, said Kathleen Bergen with the Federal Aviation Administration.

Online records from the Department of State Division of Corporations showCompetitor Liaison is based in Daytona Beach and registered under the name of William C. France -- the former NASCAR chairman and Kennedy's father-in-law who died five weeks ago. James C. France, Brian Z. France and France Kennedy are also listed as officers of the company.

Distributed by Internet Broadcasting Systems, Inc. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Part II

Off-Duty Firefighter Runs Into Fiery Homes
    NASCAR Official's Husband, 2 Children Among Dead

POSTED: 12:19 pm EDT July 11, 2007
    UPDATED: 12:25 pm EDT July 11, 2007

SANFORD, Fla. -- Jet fuel poured down a staircase inside the burning home as off-duty firefighter Ryan Cooper tried to rescue a seriously burned father who was frantically searching for his younger child, the firefighter recalled Wednesday.

A small plane with a NASACAR pilot and the husband of a racing executive aboard had crashed into two homes, spilling fuel and setting both ablaze.

Cooper was kissing his wife goodbye in their nearby driveway Tuesday morning when he saw the plane go down.

He grabbed his fire gear from his car and "ran over to do what I could," he told the NBC's "Today" show Wednesday.

Within minutes, Cooper was carrying a seriously burned 10-year-old boy from the house. He set the child in the yard, then went back in for the father. He said he also tried to get to neighbors in the burning house next door but couldn't find anyone before a Sanford police officer pulled him out for his own safety.

Five people in all died in the crash -- two adults aboard the plane and a woman and two children in the destroyed homes.

Among the victims were 54-year-old Dr. Bruce Kennedy, a Daytona Beach plastic surgeon and husband of International Speedway Corp. President Lesa France Kennedy, and NASCAR Aviation pilot Michael Klemm, 56. The victims on the ground were identified as 24-year-old law student Janise Joseph-Woodard, her 6-month-old son, and their next-door neighbor, 4-year-old Gabriela Dechat.

The little girl's parents, Milagros Dechat, 33, and Peter Dechat, 36, were seriously injured.

Eric Domnitz, who lives down the street, had rushed over with a fire extinguisher to try to help and described a horrific scene.

"It's in my head. The woman was just melting. It looked like her skin was just melting off," he said. "The guy, he was melting. He looked like wax."

The 10-year-old boy, whose name has not been released, was taken to Cincinnati Burn Center with burns over 80 to 90 percent of his body. Another neighbor, Dennis Misuraca, said the child "looked like he had a flannel shirt on, but he didn't have a shirt on -- he was just really that burned."

Cooper said he tried to search for Dechat's younger child but couldn't get up the stairs.

"I walked in as far as I could. The jet fuel that was dumping down from the second story to the first floor stopped me," he said.

Screaming neighbors told him people remained in the second house on fire, but Cooper said he couldn't find anyone after he kicked in the door.

The small plane was traveling from Daytona Beach to Lakeland on Tuesday when the pilot declared there was smoke in the cockpit. It was not clear who was flying the plane; NASCAR said it was Kennedy, but investigators said earlier it was Klemm.

The pilot was directed to land at the Sanford Airport but air traffic control lost radar contact around 8:40 a.m. The plane crashed a few miles away.

The National Transportation Safety Board will focus its investigation of the crash on "man, machine and the environment," NTSB vice chairman Robert Sumwalt said.

"We'll be reviewing the aircraft maintenance records and any other records associated with this airplane," he said. The investigation will also focus on any services the plane may have received before or during the flight, including fueling and maintenance.

At the crash site, rescue crews arrived to a "heavy, dark column of smoke" worsened by the airplane fuel. "The plane's in numerous pieces throughout the five or six homes' backyard," said Matt Minnetto, an investigator with the Sanford Fire Department.

The plane was registered to Competitor Liaison Bureau Inc. of Daytona Beach. Online records from the Department of State Division of Corporations show the company is registered under the name of William C. France, the NASCAR chairman who died last month at age 74 at his Daytona Beach home. Lesa France Kennedy, whose husband died in the plane crash, is France's daughter.

"Our deepest sympathies and prayers are with all of those who were involved in this tragic accident and their families," NASCAR said in a statement.

Gov. Charlie Crist said Bruce Kennedy was a great friend. "When I went to the Homestead race, he was kind enough to take me around to meet the drivers. He was gracious beyond words," Crist told The Daytona Beach News-Journal.

At Florida A&M College, professors consoled Joseph-Woodard's classmates Tuesday night.

"Janise balanced law school, a family and a healthy marriage. And she did it well," classmate Nikeisha Ford said.

Previous Stories:
    July 10, 2007: 5 Killed When NASCAR-Linked Plane Crashes

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jacklrd View Post
    This is what I get for taking a day off to provide EMS coverage of a kids swim meet. thanks for point out the "error".

In any case, best wishes to those who were involved. I wish there was more to say for the families directly affected by the loss of a loved one.

Thread Information