Forum Member

Lightbulb Jr. Firefighters

My fire department is currently looking into a Jr. firefighter program. I was wondering if other departments that already have a Jr. firefighter program in place would care to share there experiences. What are the Jr. firefighter duties (what he can and cant do) any SOG, or SOP's will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

C. Chiasson
    Saint Leonard Fire Rescue

Forum Member

Well you'll probably notice that the jr/explorer program is different everywhere when it comes to duties and other stuff. In my county's jr program, jrs are responsible for the staion (i e cleaning and organizing, truck washing, etc) nothing to serious. When it comes to fires, juniors are allowed to be on scene as long as they dont get in the way. My sations jrs usually run tools(not allowed inside or too close to the structure), distribute water bottles, set up porta ponds, and hydrant connections, again nothing too bad. Now on small brush fires, jrs are encouraged to get nozzle time while under direction from the training officer! And last but not least, jrs play a big role in scene cleanup!

hope this helps
    Jonathan

Forum Member

When I was a Junior back in Nova Scotia I had a few very simple rules. No Interior, No operating tools at an MVC scene and no Medicals. Other than that I was pretty well fair game.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

In the department that I am a junior at, they say: As long as you have been told how to do it, and it does not involve hydraulics, interior firefighting or hazmat, along with some other state prevented activities, you can be asked to do it. Juniors also work WITH the "seniors" to do work around the station, but must oblige to bench order.
    Last edited by charlie82; 09-16-2007 at 06:35 PM.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for the helps guy's, we will put the info to good use.

Default jr firefighting

all you guys are taliking about how jr firefighters can respond to the scene in the fire trucks and can help with exterior operations, well im a jr firefighter too and on my department all we are allowed to do is dipsatch and clean the trucks why is thiss????

Forum Member

Default Jr.'s

In my Dept. we only have 2 Jr.'s at one time. The big rules for our hall is, NO driving any vehicle for any reason, must be 16, allowed to come on all fire calls but will be directed by OIC as to what they are allowed to do (mostly BA control, traffic, learning pump operations, dragging hoses), no access to hall without Senior member being present at all times. If they attend EMS calls as fire back up it is to the OIC discretion as to what they will and will not be allowed to do and see.

Thumbs up Jr.Firefighting

At the station i go to we get to go on some calls and we also wash the trucks. But we go to the nsfs and practice there and we go through the trucks and all its gear. We also practise ice recuses/water rscues. I think the only main rule is dont get injured. But we go tto two stations so one is more only Jr.Firefighting and the other is wear all the vlounters respond to.

Forum Member

Default Jr FF

Our department runs a "Youth Academy" in partnership with the local school district. The JRs go through a modified training course and help with hall chores and public education... but do not participate in any fire operations.

Here's the site
    http://www.mapleridge.ca/EN/main/eme...h_academy.html

Forum Member

Default Jr FF

double post...
    Last edited by mckee338; 11-07-2007 at 03:57 PM.

Default jr firefighter

Quote Originally Posted by kfaria146 View Post
    all you guys are taliking about how jr firefighters can respond to the scene in the fire trucks and can help with exterior operations, well im a jr firefighter too and on my department all we are allowed to do is dipsatch and clean the trucks why is thiss????

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

did you ever get an answer on this because this is the same way with our department

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Cadet program

Our department just restarted a "cadet" program for youth firefighters. We tried it a few years ago and it was a dismal failure, due to the fact that the youth failed to take it seriously. I believe that this was a failure on our part, not the youth.

Our program restarted with the school year (it ties in to the apprencticeship program at school and is worth credits towards their high school diploma). The very first thing that we did was lay out the ground rules with respect to behaviour. We also instituted a buddy system, i.e, every cadet is partnered with an assigned firefighter and they are expected to stay literally at their side during practice, except for breaks. We currently have six cadets, and anticipate a maximum allowable of 8, which is 2 per on call crew.

Our cadets are allowed to participate in allow practice elements, including MVA, medicals, and fire scenes. We just got our gear order in, so they will now have full gear, and will also now be able to take part in live fire practice, under the same requirement to be at the side of an assigned firefighter at all times. During live fire practices, a lieutenant is assigned specific responsibility for tracking the whereabouts of the cadets. The cadets can take part in all practices, and will also be allowed to take certain accredited courses. We will train them on Std First Aid & CPR Level C, and if they return for their second year (three school terms are required for the program), we will begin sending them on 1001 courses, beginning with VX. We also expect them to take part in equipment checks, hall clean up, fire prevention activities, etc. They are assigned to crews and provided with pagers when their crew is on call.

Now, with respect to actual calls, we are more limited in what we allow. We have a signed waiver, but nonetheless restrict them from: entry in structure fires, patient treatment, traffic control. Our policies for the cadet program are still developing, but we are very pleased with the results of this round thus far.

Forum Member

Jr. FF at my detp were aloud to respond on calls ( EMS Fire Rescue and Water) We were aloud to do what ever was asked of us. Such at the house fire I was at on of the many things I had to do was to bring lights to the back of a house fire.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vsharma72 View Post
    In the department that I am a junior at, they say: As long as you have been told how to do it, and it does not involve hydraulics, interior firefighting or hazmat, along with some other state prevented activities, you can be asked to do it. Juniors also work WITH the "seniors" to do work around the station, but must oblige to bench order.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie82 View Post

MembersZone Subscriber

Our Cadet program is a three level program, at the end of their third level the Cadets attend an terc sanctioned extrication challenge and compete for hardware against seasoned veterans, great learning tool
    Firedog7

Thread Information