Forum Member

Default Transition from Paid to Volunteer

Can anyone provide any sources regarding fire departments that are at a paid status, but then change over to a volunteer department or paid/volunteer. My city is in a dilemma, and I'm a volunteer with a department that surrounds the city. I would like to do some research on this. Any info contributed would be appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.
    “The garbage man doesn’t get excited when he turns the corner and sees trash. You shouldn’t get excited either; you should be expecting fire on every run.” - FDNY Lt. Andrew Fredericks

MembersZone Subscriber

First, What kind of dilemma is the city facing?
    And if the city is thinking of going from career to POC/Volunteer then they are doing the citizens a BIG dis-service. Need more information.

T.J.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Remthedays View Post
    First, What kind of dilemma is the city facing?
    And if the city is thinking of going from career to POC/Volunteer then they are doing the citizens a BIG dis-service. Need more information.

T.J.
    Why do you say this is a dis-service? Sounds like the firefighters are going to get screwed.
    GFD748 First in... Last out.. Everyone goes home.... Do the best job you can and do it safely

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GFD748 View Post
    Why do you say this is a dis-service? Sounds like the firefighters are going to get screwed.
    I agree 100%. And the dis-service is that the citizens have a career department with firefighters ready to respond and then go back to having to wait. Like I said need more imfo...

T.J.
    Last edited by Remthedays; 07-12-2007 at 09:47 AM.

Forum Member

Woulds the "city with the dilemma be New Castle PA?

From the New Castle News...
    FIRE DEPARTMENT CHANGES

The plan calls for the city to transition to a combination paid-volunteer fire department by adding a component in which firefighters will be paid per call. Commensurately, the full-time paid staff will be reduced by 20 firefighters.

There are currently 24 firefighters and a chief. The plan says that the department shall transition to that structure when the current contract with firefighters expires in 2013 “or sooner if mutually agreed upon” between the city and the union.

If 20 firefighters are reduced over the next several years, the annual savings would be about $1.8 million in 2014, according to the plan.
    I'd feel real safe by reducing the FD by almost 75%
    PS: based on what I read on line, it appears there is an problem with arson there, too...

Here's another beaut of an idea...

Eliminate the minimum manning in the police department...migfht as well hanfg out the sign "hey , come in and rob us right now!"
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe the parks dept needs something. Whay a bad situation. The elected city officials should find a solution to fix this problem. If they cant they need to be ousted from office... Anyways as stated before we need more info.

Forum Member

I know a guy from New castle, and he did say the fire load there is pretty heavy for their size. I believe it was around 250 working fires last year. In a cityt eh size of new castle, thats practically the whole town burning down.

Forum Member
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Yeah, this is in New Castle, PA. Act 47 =(
    “The garbage man doesn’t get excited when he turns the corner and sees trash. You shouldn’t get excited either; you should be expecting fire on every run.” - FDNY Lt. Andrew Fredericks

Forum Member

BTW: I believe the arson count is... wow, I'd say around 20-30 as of date, if not more. The city just had another structure fire last night that was another possible arson.

Forum Member

New Castle has a lot of ghetto, and has a high arson rate. It's not the biggest city, but it does more than it's share of calls.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ncoliva1200 View Post
    BTWThe city just had another structure fire last night that was another possible arson.
    I saw that on the news last night. I feel the chief was pretty quick to call it a arson fire. Lets just hope all of our fellow firefighters stay safe over there.

Thread Information