Forum Member

Default Mr. Nice here

Oh. I stand corrected. One question: Have you met many "Bucks County Commandos" in this country? Cause, it kinda sounds like you're lumping them all together based on limited exposure and hearsay. Hey, I GOT IT....but could you BE more condescending? Ok...whatever. Why don't you pull out the panty wad and we'll move on, eh?

Man, these cracker jax are GOOoood!

Forum Member

Talking AAA Hoser /Gotflames/WSIFIRE and All Bucks and More

Hoser, I saw your post and realized its my turn to ask a question. Can you send me the list your guys are receiving now? I haven't seen that new updated list. But serious about the change of clothes. Take some at least for Houston to go out in. You will need to go have a beer or a coke at bar or a place with the group. You can mail those extras back home so you don't have to carry them to Iraqi-ville. You can mail those via the UPS store next to the HOtel near or across the processing center before you fly out.
    Kris down in Houston is very good to you guys and will give you the answers to questions like where is the UPS store and what is a good time to get there to mail clothes back to the house.

LAPTOPS Page 15 of this thread covers laptops and will continue for about the next 132 pages there after. I'm not joking. BUT beware, I bought a nice Sony for the second contract and couldn't do updates on it and then the Laptop locked up on me. In Thailand i had to access the internet to unlock my PC. So if you buy a new laptop to take over do all your updates and get the software loaded you need cause you can't access the internet with your laptop using KBR or Govt lines at all.
    Hower don't worry you will have access to your Money accounts, email accounts via KBR leased laptops to WSI or through the MWRs. Hoser please use this information i give you as a trade for the list please. firekeith1221@yahoo.com
    Thanx.

Now onto other topics, Hey Gotflames in your post you metioned Commando and panties. I can't resist but mentioning commandos and Panties aren't those off setting since the commando can mean no undies? HMMM something to think about. Of course i'm only joking not picking on.
    But serious, please no fighting guys. We can discuss all sides but lets do this in a laid back manner. Its so hard to restart a thread since all the info that is valuable gets lost and the questions (although repeated) are lacking the info accumulated over time.
    Peace out
    Godfather
    Last edited by FIRESKEITH; 08-09-2007 at 03:22 PM. Reason: proof reading errors

Forum Member

Hey GodFather !

Was speaking to a buddy who was friends with buttknuckle the other day and would you believe he is on year 3 ! LOL Remember him in the forums?
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Forum Member

Default Bfdnjff

Hey i do remember him and his posts I have been rereading this thread and surprised how so many thought he was a new poster on this when he was deemed obnoxious. However he was only sharing his views from the day he applied till .................................well the end of the thread. Just so many different experiences people had good and bad but some took his posts too personal.
    3rd year ha? WOW impressive. Regardless of anyones experiences,views or status, the place takes a toll on a person.
    Not in a negative way all the time but for me not seeing family is TOUGH and it was hard not seeing my dad for such a long time.

Forum Member

Default To Fireskeith

You're right. Sorry to you and the others but I felt alittle offended and now it's out of my system. No more. To WSIfire: you are entitled to your opinions (and they could very well be justified in your experience) however, don't write things that might make it harder on us potential new guys. Guys that aren't worth their weight are usually found out pretty quickly. Like Firefly, I didn't want any of the guys over there thinking I (or anyone else) was no good simply because I had to jump through this particular hoop. And, I meant it when I said thank you for the info posted, you certainly know WAY more about working for WSI in Iraq than I do. OK?

Thanx, Fireskeith, for reminding ME to be nice.

Default Thanks!

WSIFIRE thanks for the dose of reality. I have a good friend going to Iraq at the end of September. 26 years as a fire captain......wants to increase is nest egg. Good Man, Hard worker knows what he wants and his $hit. I hope the morons that wear the gold and (push the pencils) will give him the opportunity to improve the situation at camp.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Officer "True"

So what's up with the blog? Clicked on the link and got zip. Page not found. You delete it? You seemed so proud of it, why would you delete it?

Forum Member

Default Go For It!

To anyone thinking of going to Iraq as a contract Firefighter, I say give it a shot. Yes the extraneous bull that crops up is rediculous. The experience to work with all the guys and gals from around the country is rewarding. You get to find out that alot of them are just like the guys you worked with back home just different accents. I think if you go into this with the understanding that most of the leadership are competent to one degree or another. Remember the chiefs and officers are all there with many of the same reasons you are. They are interested in improving their families situation at home. Or if they're single they may have chosen this as an adventurous career. They can only do so much for your well being and your progression through the ranks. My experience was for the most part was a positive one.The crews I worked with were comfortable to be with and that is important as you will spend agreat deal of your time with your Engine company. Oh and when one guy wants to go to the exchange to buy one bag of M&Ms, don't **** and moan as you will have your own quirks that everyone will have to put up with. I personally looked forward to any correspondence coming from headquarters as it always was a topic for discussion and boredom must be kept at arms length. Be smart with your money and life changing benchmarks can occur. Peace Out!!!!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default we all understand

Quote Originally Posted by h20squirter View Post
    i want to make babies with you. you are my hero.
    It is ok, realy, we all understand you were lonely while over seas..LMAO..lol

Eitherway glad you all made it back safe
    FF Medic

Forum Member

Default Speaking of Money...

What kind of money are we talking here? Last year I talked with a guy who came home before completing his year because his wife became ill. He said that he was waiting for overtime that he never received. Is there a problem collecting money from WSI? I was offered a position last year but declined it because I wasn't allowed a leave of absence and wasn't willing to give up my career position. I'm reconsidering that now. What do you mean when you talk about B.S.? Is it lack of equipment? Leadership? Bureaucracy? Can you give specifics without risking your anonomity?

Default IN the Process

I have just done my intervew last week. Waiting on all the Medical Stuff, Anyone have any advice. Ship out date of Oct 14th

MembersZone Subscriber

"Is there a problem collecting money from WSI?"

Among all the negative that can fairly be said about this company, job, place, etc, one thing I can NOT bit#h about is getting paid. It's always on time, and not been messed up once.

There are plenty of folks who'd say we don't get paid for all the time WSI gets paid for us, etc etc etc, and they may very well be right. I'm not sure how all that works. I'm not gonna read the bloody LOGCAP contract to find out. Bottom line is I'll have made more in two years here when I leave than I'd have made in probably 8 back home.

Forum Member

Default Bump

Keepin' the unvarnished truth near the top.

Forum Member

Default Thanks

Thanks zapper.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Contract firefighting pay

Actually the pay for WSI is not that great. Depending on country and company, average for qualified firefighter/instructor averages about $650 to $900 day including travel days. Most are rotational 4x4, 6x3, once again dependent on countries. Its best to stay away from getting hired direct out of the states, sad to say but American companies have got a pretty bad reputation in the expat community for low pay and poor working conditions. European and Asia based companies far ahead as far as looking after employees. Its best to contract headhunter/ recruiters on the net and get job listings
    Average days per year runs about 200 and up, flights are return to your home airport, but you usually can make arrangements to travel elsewhere as long as it isn't more than your flight cost home.
    I've been at this 12 years now and never been out of work

Quote Originally Posted by WSIFire View Post
    NO I wouldn't go back again. I accomplished my financial goals. I'm used to some bull$hit and there will always be some in any department, but WSI exceeds the total bull$hit output of any 10000 fire departments in the states. It's worth it for a year, but I don't need money bad enough to go back.

I can't speak about the contract world, but there HAVE to be better companies. If WSI is the best, God help us all. I can't see any other contract paying as well though, except whatever KBR has in Iraq and whoever has Afghanistan (I think it's KBR).

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile info

Dear Firefighters:

The Notice of Class Arbitration has been approved by the Arbitrator and we anticipate it being sent by mail within the next couple of weeks.

Additionally, our website now contains information regarding the class action, including the demand for arbitration, information on the arbitrator and our law firm, and two of the arbitratorís rulings.

Feel free to check it out at www.EmploymentLawTampa.com/about.jsp

Candy Stead, Assistant

Law Offices of Cynthia N. Sass, P.A.
    601 West Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd

Tampa, Florida 33603
    (813) 251-5599 - Phone

(813) 259-9797 - Facsimile

www.EmploymentLawTampa.com

I am about ready to deploy to Texas, with WSI, But I am a Full-time firefighter in ky. I work for a somewhat good Dept. I really dont know If I should leave it behind and give up on the 9 years I have been here, also I have a 16 month son who I WILL MISS. My family needs the money, My younger bro. is at Victory, now with WSI along with a nother FF friend.Is truly worth the money? I know it will better my family. but to guit my Currant job! Anyone have some point of Views? Contact me please! pepper_338@yahoo.com

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by Moreheadfire338 View Post
    I am about ready to deploy to Texas, with WSI, But I am a Full-time firefighter in ky. I work for a somewhat good Dept. I really dont know If I should leave it behind and give up on the 9 years I have been here, also I have a 16 month son who I WILL MISS. My family needs the money, My younger bro. is at Victory, now with WSI along with a nother FF friend.Is truly worth the money? I know it will better my family. but to guit my Currant job! Anyone have some point of Views? Contact me please! pepper_338@yahoo.com
    Can you take a leave of absence?
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

What does your brother tell you ? Can you get rehired by your current dept. when returning and not loose the 9 years vested in retirement?
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

MembersZone Subscriber

Mooreheadfire; A word of advice from an old expat who has been at this game 12 years. Unless you can get written assurance that your job will be waiting for you when you get back, DO NOT GO!!. Its tough when you are young with a young family, but the FF career will support you reasonably well, you will hug your son and wife most near every night and you have a career and also importantly a pension ahead of you. Get a part time job, cinch in the belt, start budgeting but Iraq will not be the ultimate answer to your families happiness and well being.

Cool whats up wsifire

hey man you are right on with the way that wsi is bro i couldn't agree more myself.. although i've moved over to working for kbr now after a year with wsi well i waiting a while but i like it here much better i mean we actually fight fires and run medicals and i can't complain man you get the experience and the money.. oh did i meantion that you get paid to sleep here with a full day off thats really nice too.. not trying to drag you back over here cause you've made that crystal clear that you were done but just to get this out there that i think KBR is the way to go over WSI. just from my experience.. well any how if your going to WSI take all this into consideration and make sure you keep a pen close and a wrist wrap you'll need it from all the TSTI's that you'll have to sign

Thread Information