MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Pet Friendly 02 Masks. Who Uses Them?

There have been two or three stories over the past few months about different FD's using the "new" pet-friendly O2 masks, just wondering who actually carries them.

Oxygen Masks Save Pets From Fire. Cat Rescued In Michigan Fire

POSTED: 8:32 am EDT July 12, 2007

SUMPTER TOWNSHIP, Mich. -- A cat is rescued from a fire in Michigan and firefighters said special oxygen masks are being credited.

Fire Chief Les Powell told The Ann Arbor News that firefighters were called to a home around 9:30 p.m. Sunday and discovered a garage and two cars engulfed in flames.

The family escaped without injury, but their cat was left inside the home. Firefighters used the oxygen mask on the cat and saved its life.

The masks were donated by Friends of Michigan Animals Rescue.

"The thing with animals, they're on the floor, and that's the best place to be because it's where the air still is,'' Powell told The Ann Arbor News. "But it was hot in there, and oxygen helps a lot.''

The cause of the fire is under investigation.

Marcy LaFramboise, vice president and co-owner of FMAR, said the masks each cost $53.

The cat is recovering. It is staying at the shelter until the family can take her back.

The group has provided oxygen masks to the Van Buren Township Fire Department and has masks ready to donate to the Belleville Fire Department.

Distributed by Internet Broadcasting.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

MalahatTwo7, we have them. Back around 2005 there was an article in our local paper regarding the pet masks. I believe it was in regards to the FMAR group. We recieved numerous calls from residents inquiring about them and offering to donate the funds to acquire them so we contacted a local vet and made arrangements to get 2 sets. Haven't used them yet but we have them available.
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

Forum Member

We also have them.. they were donated to the MFD after a concerned citizen read about three dogs that died in a fire.

We haven't used them yet.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

We have them on all the engines, haven't heard of any being used yet. They were donated.

the 4-1-4

Chief Gonzo, it must be an 'MFD' thing. We have them too, and like your 'MFD', they were donated.

Some Guy

HA, we have them also (MFD). They were donated.
    This space for rent

Forum Member

I like animals, and I think it's great that they have O2 masks for them. But, what would be the procedure for taking care of an animal? Check for human victims, and when they are stabilized, work on the critters? Why do I have a feeling that y'all will have to get a vet's license before long?

Forum Member

Default Pet Friendly Masks

We use them also. Already credited with saving a dog. The local animal hospital donated them. Most of the guys made fun of them until that particular incident. Now they are believers! Good PR!!!!

Forum Member

We have them. Partially paid for with donations and the remainder from the budget.
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Several of the departments here in the Boise area had them donated to them. I know that the Nampa Fire Department used one a few weeks ago. Huge write-up in the local papers about it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by idahoff4028 View Post
    I know that the Nampa Fire Department used one a few weeks ago. Huge write-up in the local papers about it.
    That's why we should be using them-good PR for doing nothing we wouldn't be doing anyway. I can't believe how many guys complained about them being placed on the rigs.

Forum Member

Thumbs up DE has them in EVERY Fire Station!

In April of 2006 the Wilmington Kennel Club donated sets to every fire station in Northern Delaware - 3 weeks later Wilmington Manor FC saved 8 of 12 cats brought out of a smoke filled home - they actually broke the door down because they could hear them "screaming" inside!

This past May 9th, 2007 through the generous donation by the Cat Fanciers' Association and the Mispillion Kennel Club of Southern DE, Delaware became the First State in the Nation to have a set in every station. On June 19th, 2007 there was a home fire in Felton, DE and a Firefighter/EMT resuscitated a dog that was brought out with a newly donated mask from a set.

Later in May The Ladies' Auxiliary of the DE Vol. Firefighter's Association kicked off an Adopt-a-Truck program to get a set on every vehicle.

K9 Kelly - DE State's arson dog carries one in her "kit" in case her nose gets into something bad........

There are clubs, individuals, and corporate sponsors stepping up to the plate and making donations across the country.

From Anchorage, AL (theirs were anonymously donated) to Volusia County, FL (they have one on every vehicle (~125) in the county- all donated funds), there are departments in 44 states that have them and I believe I read an article that a couple departments in Canada are now on board!

If you want to watch a resuscitation go to www.helpanimalsinc.org and scroll to the bottom of the front page - I sent for the DVD and it turns out the dog was found under a bed by another new piece of apparatus to the department - a Thermal Imaging Device..... that dog was meant to be saved!

We all understand that it is human life first and the safety of our firefighters but when faced with the situation, firefighters and EMTs alike have all been willing to make the attempt. The Animal O2 Mask sets just make it a bit easier and perhaps a bit more successful. I recently found an article where a firefighter in Idaho noticed an animal's cage - he brought it out and hidden in the sooty bedding material was an albino pet rat - he seemed to be gone, but the firefighter made the attempt with the small size mask and the rat was revived - even the firefighter was surprised.

The sets are $55 for three sizes and are designed with a flexible gasket to go around the muzzle of an animal and make a tight seal - far better fitting than a human mask, styrofoam cup, or halved plastic bottle and more direct than a blow by. They are REUSABLE and clean up easily. They also can be easily adapted to a breather bag for that first push of O2 into a stricken pet. Distributed by SurgiVet Company.

Thank you one and all for your bravery and caring!
    Two Labs in DE.
    Last edited by Labadorer; 07-24-2007 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Mistype

Forum Member

Here's what they look like....

‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Those are neat. I guess it beats mouth-to-snout any day

Forum Member

We don't have them, but I agree, if nothing else, it's great PR. And heck, it's nice to save a pet. We used a child mask on a cat once and brought it around. I don't think the home owner would have been as happy had we been able to wave a wand and put the fire out. haha

Thread Information