Thread: Which City?

Forum Member

Thanks guys! I have a chief's interview on Monday and I am pretty excited. They are sending 3 to the academy in Sept..

Leather Forever

Quote Originally Posted by medic8675 View Post
    Thanks guys! I have a chief's interview on Monday and I am pretty excited. They are sending 3 to the academy in Sept..
    Good Luck with your interview. If you get on the job our paths will cross

Matt

Forum Member

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by osfd100 View Post
    Which CT cities have "The Job to Land". - Should have 3 answers

1) Based on Fire Load
    2) Based on Pay and Bennies
    3) Based on Reputation
    Lets FAce it guys each category sperarates one group from another..

1) fire load
    Hartford, Bridgeport, New Haven, Waterbury, New Britan, Norwalk, Stamford, Meriden,Danbury, W hartford, Bristol, Milford, W Haven, E. Hartford, Stratford, New London, 'S taven, Manchester, Norwich. Torrington, Branford New Canan.....

2) Stamford, New Cannan, Norwalk, Fairfield, W. Hartford, Danbury, Bristol, Stratford......... some based totally on OVERTIME potential and history often "built in" bottom of the list are Bridgeport and Waterbury sinceboth have had financial issues in past and both have lost major ground in consessions

3) West Hartford, Stamford, West and east Haven, Milford, Danbury have the highest reps NOT to take away from Hamden, Bristol or anyone, bt they shine even when overshadowed by larger regional departments...
    of the "BIG 3" I personally think New Haven shines with Hartford right with them though I will admit I've spent less time in hartford CTY then the rest of the state, over many years.. I tryed to be objective with this and tryed not to be unfair, I know I have prolly missed a couple places, sorry bout dat ...

Also , Sikorsky does a "fair amount of M/A " this includes ARFF vehicle requests Not only to stratford and shelton near the plant, but also to Bridgeport and Milford if needed as well as containerized foam to both counties if needed and Sikorsky Often responds to the housitonic river for boating emergencies as they are able to float the boat and get on scene while Stratford is offloading they're boat, and Milford is in transport from the dock which is located downtown. Just as Electric Boat, and Pratt and whitney as well as the sub base are integral parts of the local Mutual aid system and often provide specialized services... In many parts of the state we have amazing potential

Lightbulb Please keep in mind

I realize a majority of these posts are from people that are trying to get hired somewhere, but please keep in mind a few things regarding depts that fall into these 3 categories.

Reputation is important and should definitely play a role in anybody's decision. More importantly however, is it an aggressive dept or do they result to defensive exterior attacks nearly right away.

Fire Load: Let's all realize something, normally larger city depts burn more but with that comes more apparatus on scene. Overall this means that although you may be "on scene" you're barely doing a thing while you're there. Additionally, a lot of depts burn regularly but nothing makes the news for whatever reasons. We're often inundated with news stories from only select cities while a town right next door has the same incident and nobody knows about it.

Pay and Bennies: The only thing anyone has talked about regarding this is the overall salary and pay steps. As a union leader I can tell you my dept isn't one of the highest paid, but we barely pay a thing for insurance and we don't contribute to our pension and we fight like hell to keep it that way. Sure there are depts that make 65K top step, but after paying 10-12K for family medical coverage and another 10-15K towards you're 401K, you're right back down to mid 40'sK. For the most part, every firefighter in this state is paid the same.

Anyone who's interested in knowing how busy a dept really is can check out this month's issue of Firehouse magazine, there are some surprising stats in there regarding CT depts. As far as depts growing and hiring, look for Guilford to continue to hire, Hamden is still short personnel and rumor has it No. Haven will be putting on 20 more because of some construction project at the old Pratt & Whitney plant. Good luck to all of you trying to land a job, this is just some things to keep in mind should you be offered more than one job at once or within a few weeks of eachother, which happens more often than not.

Forum Member

LCKAngles,
    I have to greatly disagree with your thought that depts all prety much pay the same. There is a huge spectrum throughout our state. Some depts are at poverty levels with no benefits at all and some pay top dollar and give you the world. Everyone should do their homework and ask the guys on the job they are considering a lot of questions before making a decision. Personaly I would take the first job that comes along and re-evaluate your position and decide if the grass is truely greener on the otherside. In some cases it is. I think what LCKAngles is trying to say is that don't look at salary alone - which is good advise. Consider whether retirement benefits exist or sick time buy out or stypens. I am not in the dept I started my career in. I am very happy where I am now and plan to finish out my career here.
    IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEnPipes View Post
    Also , Sikorsky does a "fair amount of M/A " this includes ARFF vehicle requests Not only to stratford and shelton near the plant, but also to Bridgeport and Milford if needed as well as containerized foam to both counties if needed and Sikorsky Often responds to the housitonic river for boating emergencies as they are able to float the boat and get on scene while Stratford is offloading they're boat, and Milford is in transport from the dock which is located downtown. Just as Electric Boat, and Pratt and whitney as well as the sub base are integral parts of the local Mutual aid system and often provide specialized services... In many parts of the state we have amazing potential
    Come on now. I'm on the job in Stratford. If requests for ARFF's and foam constitute a "Fair amount" for Sikorsky, then the Town of Stratford is in trouble (I'll let Bpt. talk for themselves). I'll give them boat responses (Nice to have the river located on site, eh?), but how often do they ever go past the Moses Wheeler bridge honestly? Maybe a couple times a year at best? How often has Sikorsky come to us as opposed to us coming to those guys? How many medical calls does Sikorsky cover for Stratford off site? How many structure fires has Sikorsky helped put out in Stratford? If it isn't at the plant or airport where is all this mutual aid coming from? If anything Stratford and Bridgeport are the ones giving the mutual aid rather than receiving it.

Don't get me wrong. I've had plenty of positive experiences with the guys at Sikorsky, and feel they are well trained at what they do. And I more than defer to them when I go on their "turf", but the above statement is just absurd.

To the thread starter. I personally feel any career dept. is the "Job to land". Many people test for years and never get hired. It really is a matter of what an individual feels will give them the most gratification out of the fire service. There are guys who will work for peanuts if there are enough "jobs" to catch. Some people want to be well compensated for their time. Some people want to have a good pension to retire on. Unfortunately, there is no perfect Dept. that fits all criteria.

Thread Information