MembersZone Subscriber

Default Which City?

Which CT cities have "The Job to Land". - Should have 3 answers

1) Based on Fire Load
    2) Based on Pay and Bennies
    3) Based on Reputation
    If I'm not here I'm on http://ctfire-ems.com/indexc.php

Forum Member

It's hard to find one city that covers all three topics but here is my opinion in no particular order:
    Hartford
    West Hartford
    East Hartford
    Bristol
    Hamden
    Milford
    Danbury
    Stamford
    I would be very happy working for anyone of these depts. I left out Fairfield county for the most part because I just don't know enough about that area. The ones mentioned are rumored to be well paid, decent work, and a good rep.
    IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

Forum Member

Mashantucket Pequot Fire Dept.

MembersZone Subscriber

I was trying to answer some of these myself. That is one of the reasons I asked.

I heard at one point a few years ago Manchester was the highest paid?

For Fire Load, I know it runs in cycles but Hartford and New Haven have got to be up there.

Reputation ??? hmmm.
    If I'm not here I'm on http://ctfire-ems.com/indexc.php

Forum Member

OSFD

Manchester has been in the top 3 or 4 highest paid depending on contract year. They also have negotiated a 5 yr. contract which runs out in 09. They are also only hiring Paramedics at this point but the last test only had 18 applicants. The fire load is there, but they seem to catch room and contents and the fires come in waves.

Leather Forever

Here is my two cents. In no apparent order

Hartford
    East Hartford
    Meriden
    Sikorsky Fire-Rescue ( excellent payscale,benefits, and lost of mutual aid)
    Pratt & Whitney Fire ( excellent payscale and benefits.....ie stepping stone)
    UCONN Health Center

Any of the towns that are running supplemental career staffing(Farmington, Colchester, etc.... These towns are growing which means their FDs will being growing.

Leather Forever

Quote Originally Posted by mpfd11 View Post
    Mashantucket Pequot Fire Dept.
    "Kudos" to your pride in your department

Forum Member

Sikorsky, Pratt & Whitney, UCONN, Mashuntucket? Are you kidding me? I thought you wanted to be a firefighter? Manchester does pay well, but has horrible staffing.

Forum Member

keith, i believe that sgnl50 works for pratt, so its good to see that hes got pride in his department as well as mpfd11

Leather Forever

I wouldnt call it pride as much as I like my benefits and my paycheck. I should have been a little more descriptive. Sikorsky does a fair amount of mutual aid as well as a very high payscale (48K). UCONN Health Center, does a fair amount of mutual aid to the surrounding towns and also has an excellent payscale.

Forum Member

What about the fire load? 48K is good if you are starting off at step 1 or step 0. Not good if its top step.

Forum Member

I don't believe Sikorsky does the amount of mutual aid as you think they do.
    Last edited by crankshaft; 10-10-2007 at 08:14 AM.

Leather Forever

I was under the impression that Sikorsky did a decent amount of mutual aid. PWFD is a stepping stone. I hope to be out of here very very soon. I would love to work on a dept with a high fire load. But right now Im looking to be able to buy a house and marry my girlfriend.

Forum Member

Hey Keith A8,

Manchester runs 3 per Engine and Quint. And 1 Co is split 2 on the eng & 2 on the Medic. Total of 16 per shift(minimum) which will change when the 3 new guys go online in Sept Thats not that horrible it is about par w/most small to medium size depts nationwide.What does W Hart. run ???

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sgnl50 View Post
    I was under the impression that Sikorsky did a decent amount of mutual aid. PWFD is a stepping stone. I hope to be out of here very very soon. I would love to work on a dept with a high fire load. But right now Im looking to be able to buy a house and marry my girlfriend.

Sgnl50,
    Did you get a job offer from MPFD? Obviously if you did you turned it down because I haven't heard anyone took the job. Why did you turn it down (if you did) for the lack of pay or the reputation of the department?

Just curious.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
    Hartford
    Bridgeport
    New Haven
    Norwalk
    Stamford
    W.Hartford
    Danbury
    Stratford
    Milford
    Bristol
    E.Hartford
    Hamden

I don't believe Sikorsky does the amount of mutual aid as you think they do.

I agree, not in that order, but close.

Forum Member

I dont know much about other depts. but I really enjoy working for stratford. In my 2 months on the job ive gotten a few jobs and a couple extrications. The pay is awesome with excellent benefits and retirement. Thats not to mention a good group of guys with plenty of insight.

Forum Member

Sgnl50:
    I don't mean any disrespect. The criteria was fire load, pay & bennies, reputation. Industrial fire depts are security gaurds with extinguishers. Don't get me wrong you do have a good job and most people would kill to have it, but lets be real. How many structure fires have you been to since you've been on the job? How many extinguishers did you fill last week? Did you get woken out of your bunk the last tour? I do realize that working for UTC affords you fantastic bennies and the pay is average but to rank it as one of the top fire depts in the state is a stretch. My dept is no FDNY either. We have an average fire load, and one of the best pay and bennies in the country. You should be proud to be on the job, I know you are looking to move on to bigger and better things - which tells me you realize deep down inside the industrial world is not the place for a young eiger firefighter although it's a good job. 48k is not a very high pay it's, as mentioned, average for starting pay.

Mycareer:
    Manchester must have changed, I remember the days of 2 man companies. Maybe it changed when you went to paramagic engines. In West Hartford we run 4 on everything but we only have 5 companies. So Hartford engine 11 and ladder 5 are part of our 2nd alarm assignment. We have 21 per shift and as you know for our population size we are grossly understaffed as well.

I don't know alot about fairfield county so I can't comment on the depts down there. I know there are great ones. Stratford may very well be one. We don't hear much about them in the Hartford area.

Forum Member

I forgot to mention Waterbury cause of the fire load and Meriden, they run about 8000 calls a year.

Forum Member

keith, any news on when West Hartford will be testing again? I heard this summer but havnt heard anything else.

Forum Member

Waterbury is in a horrible state of affairs. I would not reccomend going there. Many of those poor guys are testing to get out. The state cut their throat BIG TIME.

West Hartford is rumored to be testing in the very near future. The city is going through some budget pains so I don't know for sure if they are willing to pay for the testing process. We currently have 4 vacancies. I'll let you guys know when I hear something.

Forum Member

What does everyone think of East Hartford? Do they pay well? Are most people happy working there?

Leather Forever

Quote Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
    Sgnl50,
    Did you get a job offer from MPFD? Obviously if you did you turned it down because I haven't heard anyone took the job. Why did you turn it down (if you did) for the lack of pay or the reputation of the department?

Just curious.
    I recieved a call from them today. I havent responded yet. If I am offered the job I will not be taking it. I dont want to work for another department that is more private than municipal. I know MPFD is considered municipal but tribal goverment is totally different. Also the payscale is too low

Cheers
    Matt

Forum Member

Medic:
    I know a lot of people who work in East Hartford and they are very happy. Pay is decent and they are average as far as fire duty goes. Overtime is virtualy non-existant so budget to the salary and everything will be o.k. I would work there.

Leather Forever

I work with EHFD guys on a pretty consistant basis. They all seem to be pretty happy. I would take a job there in a heart beat. I have no desire to become a medic so I'm SOL

Thread Information