MembersZone Subscriber

Default Do you have your will yet?

I found this article very interesting, and sad. Here these families are morning their loss, and in the middle of it all they have to deal with the additional legal nightmares. Most of us don't think about this. I know that up until about a year ago, I had planned well with life insurance, to help my family, but had not thought about the fact of your state making your decisions if you die without your will. Now I own a business that helps families get their wills, living wills, and durable power of attorney done, while protecting their identities and providing assistance with any legal issue. As I meet with individuals, I find that very few people take this issue serious enough.

I would like to urge everybody to get their wills done as soon as possible. None of us want to think about "checking out", but we need to make sure we do all we can to prevent our morning families to have to deal with the major legal issues that come about after we die. If you would like more information about how you can get your and your spouse or significant other's wills, living wills, and durable power of attorney, prepared by a top rated law firm in your state or province for $36 or less, just send me an email with your contact information and I'll get you more information.
    Last edited by BlackJackCo; 07-12-2007 at 12:19 PM.
    Firefighter/Paramedic Ron Sanders
    Midvale Fire Department
    Medic Ambulance 22 - A Platoon

Firefighters, Walking where the Devil Danced!

This is simply my opinion and does not represent the opinion or view of my employer(s) or any department/agency to which I belong.

Personal Website: http://RonSanders.Biz Check it Out!

Forum Member

This, ladies and gentleman, would be.....

Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Forum Member

Wondering how you conclude this is spam?

Ok the OP gave info that they can contact someone doesn't make the message so. No one has to go through the OP, but the message is correct. How many do have a will? It is easy to think that you will always go home after a shift, but who is to say for sure. In the military people are encouraged to make out a will before deployment, going to a warzone or not.

I wouldn't say the message is spam......maybe just something to think about.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJackCo View Post
    Here these families are morning their loss, and in the middle of it all they have to deal with the additional legal nightmares.
    ...but had not thought about the fact of your state making your decisions if you die without your will.

...we need to make sure we do all we can to prevent our morning families to have to deal with the major legal issues that come about after we die.

If you would like more information about how you can get your and your spouse or significant other's wills, living wills, .....
    And you're going to write my legal documents? LMAO
    Nobody ever called the fire department for doing something smart.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default No one has to go through the OP

Thank you. I did not intend this as an advertisement. Yes there is an option if you want to get more info. The intent is for all of us to save our families some heartache on top of a already terrible situation. Just get it done if you have not prepared for the nightmare. Use anybody you want, but plan ahead.
    Midvale Fire Department

This is simply my opinion and does not represent the opinion or view of my employer(s) or any department/agency to which I belong.

Permanently Removed

Not only a will, but a "Living Trust" is what is needed to protect your homes, retirement and assests.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    Not only a will, but a "Living Trust" is what is needed to protect your homes, retirement and assests.
    A living Trust is a great vehicle to avoid a probate fiasco. But a Trust created in a Will upon your demise can provide the same protections.
    Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.

IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I also do not think of Jacks msg as being "spam" in this case. He makes a very good point, albeit one that I mostly take for granted at the moment, due to my current "regular" employment with the Armed Forces. I am required to have a current written will as part of my service papers, but I know that a great many folks, particularly the single/unattached types usually do not. Partly because they dont think about it and partly because they dont know they should. The married with families type people usually have a will of some sort, but the POA is usually a missing commodity, unless he/she is prompted to make one either by another friend/family member or lawyer.

Only one word of caution regarding wills and POA's: Make sure that you update them at least once every two years, with a casual review yearly, and in particular if there is any change in the family. Addition/loss or any other significant change of family circumstance.

Ok.. I'll step down from the Soap Box now.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jccrabby3084 View Post
    Wondering how you conclude this is spam?

Ok the OP gave info that they can contact someone doesn't make the message so. No one has to go through the OP, but the message is correct. How many do have a will? It is easy to think that you will always go home after a shift, but who is to say for sure. In the military people are encouraged to make out a will before deployment, going to a warzone or not.

I wouldn't say the message is spam......maybe just something to think about.

Could it be because he's trying to sell something?
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

MembersZone Subscriber

I see how it can be taken as spam, but in my opinion, I think it was done with good intent, not as spam.

On that note, I when I read the TSL regarding it, I wasnt shocked. I was a cop for several years, never had a will. When I got deployed to Iraq, I went right out and did it. Looking back, I know how dumb this was, but its taken care of now. I know all of us plan on living to be old enough to have our kids pay us back by them having to change our Depends years from now. But you never know.........

Stay Safe

Forum Member

KeepBack,
    The way I see it (my opinion only), you're being too harsh on BlackJackCo.

Here you have a guy who is a firefighter. He has a side business doing legal work. The mixture of the the two things he has some level of expertise in offer him the opportunity to remind his brothers and sisters of the importance of something we should all think about. He has 55 previous posts over the years, and not one mentioned the side job (I did a cursory check). He offered the opportunity to contact him offline, but didn't post a link to a website, name his company, or give the email address in his post. It doesn't seem he's trying to sell anything, only remind us of something we often ignore until its too late. He gets the benefit of the doubt from me.

BTW, I have a will already, and enough life insurance cash to keep the wife going till she finds the next sucker

Forum Member

Sorry Gunny, but when someone posts "If you would like more information about how you can get your and your spouse or significant other's wills, living wills, and durable power of attorney, prepared by a top rated law firm in your state or province for $36 or less" that, to me, rings out as him trying to sell something.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by KEEPBACK200FEET View Post
    Sorry Gunny, but when someone posts "If you would like more information about how you can get your and your spouse or significant other's wills, living wills, and durable power of attorney, prepared by a top rated law firm in your state or province for $36 or less" that, to me, rings out as him trying to sell something.
    YOUR state simpleton. He didn't say his state or his business. He offered to help you/anyone with a referal to a competent lawyer. Perhaps you might pick a lawyer from a Yellow Pages ad but not the smart way to find one. Get a referal from a satisfied customer BEFORE you need a lawyer.

Your out of line with the SPAM BS. I'll guess don't have a will.

Anyone that doesn't have a will, prepared by a professional (not a software program from the Dollar General store) is a fool and irresponsible. Perhaps if you live off the gov't, have no dependents, no assets, and no one will notice when you check out you don't need a will. Otherwise you need a will AND documents appropriate to your state (such as power of attorney) designating who will/is going to take care of your orphaned children in the event you assume room temp (or are roasted alive first), how your brain dead carcass is to be cared for/disposed of, who gets your 1974 Trabant, lava lamp, and IAFF payout.

Will prep really should be FD mandated and verified. Same as it is for any US military unit. Less than that is to state this is a nonhazard vocation.

And don't keep the only copy in your safe at home or in your safety deposit box. Have the lawyer or other trusted agent hold it and make sure interested parties know where the documents are located.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RoughRider View Post
    A living Trust is a great vehicle to avoid a probate fiasco. But a Trust created in a Will upon your demise can provide the same protections.
    Umm...no. All that does is create an entity to hold items pending thier dispersal, if it is set up in a will it won't affect probate. There won't be a trust there or anything in it until probate occurs.

To get things done timely and avoid probate, you need to create the revocable living trust while you are still alive (and competent, don't get me started there, I 've got a semi-mess with my MIL whose got alzheimers) and transfer the important assets into it (it's amazing that some people create the trust and never think to transfer the home, etc.. into it which does absolultey nothing).

Forum Member

All of my affairs are in order .........Hi Moe !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

DND makes us fill one out. Unless of course you already have one outside of the Military. So yes I do
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Trusts....

I really like the trust idea, and would recommend when you meet with your attorney, that you discuss this option. Usually trusts can cost quite a bit more to set up. You also need to ensure that you look at your personal situation to see what are your best options. It will vary depending on how you want your assetts or wishes carried out, and can vary greatly depending on your state. Just make sure you use a lawyer specializing in this area of law in your state. Don't trust some internet website, or form packet from office depot to protect you. Many times these cause more problems than you would have without one at all. Here in Utah and in many states if you don't have a will or other protection properly set-up, the state will set it up and take the costs for the assigned attorneys out of your estate after death. I recently met with a client who had that done and it cost their family a sizable part of the estate. Again, I'm not a lawyer, I just help average people get affordable access to top law firms for an extreme fraction of the normal costs. So find a lawyer and discuss these options.
    Midvale Fire Department

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    YOUR state simpleton. He didn't say his state or his business. He offered to help you/anyone with a referal to a competent lawyer. Perhaps you might pick a lawyer from a Yellow Pages ad but not the smart way to find one. Get a referal from a satisfied customer BEFORE you need a lawyer.

Your out of line with the SPAM BS. I'll guess don't have a will.

Anyone that doesn't have a will, prepared by a professional (not a software program from the Dollar General store) is a fool and irresponsible. Perhaps if you live off the gov't, have no dependents, no assets, and no one will notice when you check out you don't need a will. Otherwise you need a will AND documents appropriate to your state (such as power of attorney) designating who will/is going to take care of your orphaned children in the event you assume room temp (or are roasted alive first), how your brain dead carcass is to be cared for/disposed of, who gets your 1974 Trabant, lava lamp, and IAFF payout.

Will prep really should be FD mandated and verified. Same as it is for any US military unit. Less than that is to state this is a nonhazard vocation.

And don't keep the only copy in your safe at home or in your safety deposit box. Have the lawyer or other trusted agent hold it and make sure interested parties know where the documents are located.
    You, sir, are out of line calling me a simpleton. Sure, the character bashing is fun; but keeping it to a minimum keeps everyone here from knowing what an idiot you are. So go ahead, pay your 36 dollars and get your information. After you've done that, realize that there was a business transaction involved that was initiated on this forum. By the way, I pick my lawyers from their reputation and record in the court room, not some "referal" off of an internet message board.
    Last edited by KEEPBACK200FEET; 07-12-2007 at 10:27 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Evything of mine is taken care of. As far as spam I don't know what to say. I guess if one thing it will get people thinking...

Thread Information