Default Best/Worst Large Departments in the Country

I know it's all subjective, but what are your thoughts? I visited Nashville last year, and was extremely impressed with their operations. I'd love to hear who you think are at the top of their game right now. While I can tell you hands down, St. Louis City, today, is a wreck.

Florida Boy!

Missouri and Colorado but from the East Coast!

Fla. Depts I know!
    Tops: Palm Beach County, City of Boca Raton, Orlando and Martin County Fire Rescue.....

These are based off Morale, Opps, Pay and work week.
    There is Life outside the Firehouse!

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by wakehead View Post
    Fla. Depts I know!
    Tops: Palm Beach County, City of Boca Raton, Orlando and Martin County Fire Rescue.....

These are based off Morale, Opps, Pay and work week.
    I can second the OFD motion. All I hear is good things about them.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

MembersZone Subscriber

another vote for the Orlando Fire Department....by far in my opinion the best department in florida and my dream department. Everything a fire department should be. Big on tradition, service,and brotherhood. they are great.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by STLFIRE View Post
    I know it's all subjective, but what are your thoughts? I visited Nashville last year, and was extremely impressed with their operations. I'd love to hear who you think are at the top of their game right now. While I can tell you hands down, St. Louis City, today, is a wreck.
    Boston is also a wreck. Little morale. Younger guys forgetting about the traditions. Senior men not stepping up to teach the traditions. Constant complainers even though guys are making $85K a year. Too many guys with the attitude of "I'm just here for the health insurance and the pension".

Forum Member

Bro I dont know what you know about the Boston Fire Dept but that is the furthest thing from the truth! The only guys that would represent what you stated are all the scum that were hired with the 3-1 rule that was recently overturned.

Are you even on the job?

MembersZone Subscriber

this is one of those threads that you just SEE the title and go... wtf is this

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by STLFIRE View Post
    I see this turning into a big ****ing match. Take a hike dude...
    Last edited by dday05; 07-12-2007 at 11:22 PM.

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by PyroPat View Post
    another vote for the Orlando Fire Department....by far in my opinion the best department in florida and my dream department. Everything a fire department should be. Big on tradition, service,and brotherhood. they are great.
    I would give my left nut to be on OFD. And thats my favorite one.

Atlantic City FD is my close second. After working AC EMS, and working with those guys, it just made me want it so much more.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

the 4-1-4

The best department is the one that allows you come in to work every third day, climb on a rig, and then gives you a paycheck 26 times a year.

If you spend your entire life worrying about who is the ‘best’, or who is the ‘worst’, or has the best/worst morale, or who is doing the most work, you just might miss what is right in front of you.
    Every department I have encountered, and yes, I have traveled quite a bit, has high points as well as low points. Depending on who you talk to, the department might have great morale or, you may walk away thinking that the job is full of t-shirt wearers and window lickers.

Everything you want to know in this thread is purely subjective, and will vary based on personal preference. It will change based on where you grew up, or where you live and so on. To say that any department is better than another is, or has worse morale than another is ridiculous.
    There are close to 1200 members on my job, do you think they all have the same vision of this department, or the same morale, or even the same wants out of it? Some are here strictly for the check and couldn’t care less about what happened between 1858 and now. We have others who are deeply involved with learning our history and preserving tradition as a department, something that we are rich in.
    It all varies, yet is pretty much all the same everywhere.

Not that it matters, but we had some members from St. Louis stay in my engine house during the Harley 100th, and aside from their quints (humor), had nothing but great things to say about their job.
    Last edited by jasper45; 07-12-2007 at 11:43 PM.

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    you may walk away thinking that the job is full of t-shirt wearers and window lickers.
    Why didn't you tell me that you came to visit my dept? I would have cleaned the windows so they tasted fresh!?
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Permanently Removed

Best in California- LA County, LA City, OCFA, Ventura Co.

Best in Nevada- Clark County, Las Vegas, Henderson

Best in Arizona- Hmmm...Phoenix, Chandler, Mesa, Glendale and the Town of Buckeye is getting very big and progressive.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    Bro I dont know what you know about the Boston Fire Dept but that is the furthest thing from the truth! The only guys that would represent what you stated are all the scum that were hired with the 3-1 rule that was recently overturned.

Are you even on the job?
    jonnyirons2,

First, yes, I'm on the job in Boston and a proud member of Local #718. Also, I'm on a busy, working company.

I think the BFD is amongst the best in the world. However, out of 1,500 guys we have a group of about 100 (at the most) that do 95% of the work. We are the ones that go to union meetings, attend LODD funerals throughout the country, go to Memorial Sunday, play softball, do extra things around the firehouse, etc., etc. Unfortunately most of the guys are more concerned with paid details, OT and working on the side. It's a sad reality. I'm not going to go into anymore than this in the forum, however for guys that truly love the job its disappointing.

Lastly, there was never a 3 - 1 rule in our city. It was 1 - 1. Also, even though it's gone the guys that are coming on show little motivation in the firehouses.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Yep....................

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    The best department is the one that allows you come in to work every third day, climb on a rig, and then gives you a paycheck 26 times a year.

If you spend your entire life worrying about who is the ‘best’, or who is the ‘worst’, or has the best/worst morale, or who is doing the most work, you just might miss what is right in front of you.
    Every department I have encountered, and yes, I have traveled quite a bit, has high points as well as low points. Depending on who you talk to, the department might have great morale or, you may walk away thinking that the job is full of t-shirt wearers and window lickers.

Everything you want to know in this thread is purely subjective, and will vary based on personal preference. It will change based on where you grew up, or where you live and so on. To say that any department is better than another is, or has worse morale than another is ridiculous.
    There are close to 1200 members on my job, do you think they all have the same vision of this department, or the same morale, or even the same wants out of it? Some are here strictly for the check and couldn’t care less about what happened between 1858 and now. We have others who are deeply involved with learning our history and preserving tradition as a department, something that we are rich in.
    It all varies, yet is pretty much all the same everywhere.

Not that it matters, but we had some members from St. Louis stay in my engine house during the Harley 100th, and aside from their quints (humor), had nothing but great things to say about their job.

Good Post, Bro. You're right on target.

Bou? You named every department in Nevada.........

I also travel a bit, and several years ago, a major sports event had me and the Mrs. stay in a large east coast city. I popped in to a station for a visit, and was treated a bit....... well....... like "Welcome to the City, now go away". The next day (different shift) I needed directions, so I thought I'd try the same station, and found a totally different, very positive, attitude. I was wearing a Tshirt that identified with the sporting event, not a FD shirt, on both visits, and only mentioned that I was retired from another FD. But, as it is so often, the difference between one day and another is remarkable.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Good Post, Bro. You're right on target.

I also travel a bit, and several years ago, a major sports event had me and the Mrs. stay in a large east coast city. I popped in to a station for a visit, and was treated a bit....... well....... like "Welcome to the City, now go away". The next day (different shift) I needed directions, so I thought I'd try the same station, and found a totally different, very positive, attitude. I was wearing a Tshirt that identified with the sporting event, not a FD shirt, on both visits, and only mentioned that I was retired from another FD. But, as it is so often, the difference between one day and another is remarkable.

Thanks for narrowing that down to Boston, New York, Philly, DC, Baltimore or Atlanta

Seriously though, the best fire department in the world should be the one that you work for.

If you don't feel that your department is not the best, then you need to help make it the best.

Often all that is needed is one or two people to start doing things, and change happens

As for the worst...I vote Chicago, cause they have the 2nd rate pizza
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

55 Years & Still Rolling

Talking Gee Thanks...........

Hey Doc, you only mentioned a couple of the Major Cities........ Don't forget Portland, Marlborough, Hartford, Worcester, Atlantic City, Pittsburgh, Albany, Buffalo, Rochester, Richmond, Virginia Beach, Charlotte, Glenn Dale, Jersey City, Newark, Charleston, Jacksonville....................
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Doc, you only mentioned a couple of the Major Cities........ Don't forget Portland, Marlborough, Hartford, Worcester, Atlantic City, Pittsburgh, Albany, Buffalo, Rochester, Richmond, Virginia Beach, Charlotte, Glenn Dale, Jersey City, Newark, Charleston, Jacksonville....................
    But none of them would have sport teams to draw attendence to their cities

It is ok. You can admitt that you are a closet Mets fan, have to be being so close to the flightless Bird team in Maryland You came out of the closet to go to Shea one time

Admitting it is the first step towards recovery
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

55 Years & Still Rolling

Thumbs up Yeah, Right.................

Quote Originally Posted by DocVBFDE14 View Post
    But none of them would have sport teams to draw attendence to their cities

It is ok. You can admitt that you are a closet Mets fan, have to be being so close to the flightless Bird team in Maryland You came out of the closet to go to Shea one time

Admitting it is the first step towards recovery

Now, THAT is funny. Thanks a lot.

The "Sports Event" was a major Bassmasters Tournament............. Too long a story to tell, but our family is involved with Triton Boats.....
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

You know, I thought they were all covered...blue lights vs. no blue lights; tan vs. black turnouts; quints vs. no quints; smooth bore vs. fog nozzles; paid vs. volly, and on and on.

I really thought that no one could find another pointless argument-oops, sorry debate that has no winner and will only end up in hard feelings and a closed thread. But you did it! Congratulations.

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    You know, I thought they were all covered...blue lights vs. no blue lights; tan vs. black turnouts; quints vs. no quints; smooth bore vs. fog nozzles; paid vs. volly, and on and on.

And dont forget "Bob vs. George"

Good thing's happening

umm...Just a quick question... WHY on earth would you be in Newark ? That place has one of the highest murder rates in the Nation that and Camden scares the ***** out of me. I try to go as fast as humanly possible if i ever drive there.

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    Best in California- LA County, LA City, OCFA, Ventura Co.

Best in Nevada- Clark County, Las Vegas, Henderson

Best in Arizona- Hmmm...Phoenix, Chandler, Mesa, Glendale and the Town of Buckeye is getting very big and progressive.
    No Tucson... hmmmm

Forum Member

Ever notice something ? Some of the best firemen are on some of the worst departments.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Permanently Removed

Har-har...No there are plenty more in the stateof Nevada- Reno, Carson City, Sierra Fire District, Douglas County, Elko, State of Nevada and a few others.

Forum Member

I kinda like my department, not necessarily the best but not the worst. Everyone has a gripe in some form or another about where they work. I still get excited the night before I have to go to work even after all these years. How many other folks can say that?
    IAFF

Thread Information