Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Ff Fired Or Not?

I asked this question in some thread the other day with no response to it. This will be geared to some of the SC people on here. My question is as I stated I have been debating if I should even ask this but here goes.

Remember the fire truck crash in Horry County in Dec of last year? I live in the area where FF/EMT Philip McElroy is from in OH. Through the rumor mill, of which I've heard this from several people is he was FIRED from his job "because he couldn't show up to work" If this is true shame on them. I was just wondering if anyone knows anything. I did look up the station 40 he was signed with and his picture has been removed from there.

MembersZone Subscriber sconfire's Avatar

I am not sure but it may have something to do with sick leave and FMLA running out. The bean counters say if you cannot come back to work (disabled or not ready yet) and your time runs out then they do not have to hold your job. they have to fill the slot.

Mind you this is if all other means of time have been extinguished.

I think this may be what happened. Either way it bites because he was in a wreck, ON THE JOB, and now he has no JOB!

Any brothers from Horry County... roofhook?!
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

Quote Originally Posted by sconfire View Post
    I am not sure but it may have something to do with sick leave and FMLA running out. The bean counters say if you cannot come back to work (disabled or not ready yet) and your time runs out then they do not have to hold your job. they have to fill the slot.

I think this may be what happened. Either way it bites because he was in a wreck, ON THE JOB, and now he has no JOB!

I guess he would've had very little time built up since he was new. And your right it does suck. He was on the job. Thanks for the info and take care.

Quote Originally Posted by sconfire View Post

No injured on duty leave in SC?

Public safety personnel in Massachusetts by Chapter 111F of the Massachusetts General Laws. If you are injured in the line of duty, you get 100% of your salary tax free ( the taxes you would have paid are figured out and returned at tax time). You still accrue sick time, personal time and vacation time... and if your injury is not career ending, you get your position back. If you do go out on a medical retirement, it's at 72% of your salary (based on your highest 3 years of earnings), also tax free.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information