Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default questions for the oral board...

I know the oral board has questions for me, I want to have good questions for the oral board...not clone questions, but good bona fide get 'em wondering questions. Thanks for the guidance.

MembersZone Subscriber bfdpipeman's Avatar

These are the questions I just had a couple days ago:

1) What is your definition of integrity, and why is confidentiality important to you.

2) Name several characteristics that you would look for in a fire fighter candidate and how you exemplify them.

3) Name two examples of a deceision you had to make when there was no supervisor available and the outcome of a particular incident depended on you.

4) I cant remember this one... I'll edit my post when I do... lol

MembersZone Subscriber

Here is a link to 85 of the most commonly asked entry level fire department questions. I encourage you to print them out. I guarantee your interview will be made up of some of the questions and concepts.

http://www.aspiringfirefighters.com/...-questions.pdf

Do not try to memorize your answers, rather have a concept of how you would handle all types of situationla questions.

A video camera and /or tape recorder will also help you increase your scores.

You should NOT be asked ANY question in the interview that you have not already thought about and have a conceptual answer in your head. If this happens you have not done your due dillience.

The information is out there. Take advantage of it.

Best of luck to you.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

I want to have good questions for the oral board...

Are you asking for questions you might ask the oral board panel?

MembersZone Subscriber

I guess I misread your post. If you are asking what questions to ask them I will make it very simple. NONE

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BCLepore View Post
    I guess I misread your post. If you are asking what questions to ask them I will make it very simple. NONE
    I agree.

Asking the Panel Questions?
    Candidates have been told by others that you always have to ask a question, if you're given the opportunity at the end of an interview, or you will lose points. Not True in a fire oral! In a regular or corporate interview that might be true. But not here. You never, ever, ever, have a question. We don't expect you to have any questions. I had a guy one day ask, "Since I live so far away, can I start at second step pay to help pay for my gas?"

If that question is asked (here's the "Nugget") you can pause as if your gathering your thoughts and then say, "No, I think we covered everything."

We had another candidate say, "You have probably heard about the charges against me for stealing over at the college?" No, we haven't, why don't you tell us about it. Here was another candidate who have done an outstanding job in his oral and he had to bring this up. His score dropped like a wounded seagull. This is not the time to bring up anything like this. You never bring up a negative item unless the panel does. They probably won't. It they do, have a simple, short (I said simple and short) answer to the situation.

I served 5 days in Santa Rita Prison for drag racing. Yes, I put it on my application. Because if you don't and they find out, you're gone. In my oral board, I was asked about this. I told the panel, "That since that incident, I had been in the army, married, children, the situation hadn't occurred again, and had been on my job for 9 years. I was a stupid kid then. It's hard to believe this really had happened.

One of the captains asked, "Mr. Smith are you trying to get go around this problem and ignore it?" Here's the "Nugget" answer; I said, "No. If I was trying to do that I would have never put it done on the application." He was done with that question.

When I got my results for a city test, the number placement wasn't on the notice. When I called, the personnel lady told me, "Well, Mr. Smith, you're number one. Not only are you number one, you're five full points ahead of number two!" It was having a reasonable explanation prepared in advance that becomes your "Nugget" answers that makes the difference. That question and the "Nugget" answer probably helped me, not hurt me. It catapulted me past the other candidates at light speed, and did indeed get me my badge! . . .
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default questions for a promotional board interview

What may be some good questions for the promotional oral board interview? We are having interviews ina month or two and I have been preparing by brushing up on some weak points and reenforcing my strong points. I would like to have at least one good question for the panel when and if they ask for it. Thanks

Thread Information