Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

why is everyone equating heavy sleeping with a lack of sleep, or malicious intent (i.e. leave him once and he wont do it again?) i doubt very seriously these people are waking up, saying, "ah, screw it" and going back to sleep. i sleep very heavy, people can come and go in my house and never wake me up, i can fall asleep in a rig going to a call. doesn't mean i want to let my crew down...as for the guys refusing to wake you up...sounds rather petty to me...

Forum Member

Heavy sleeping is often a sign of a signifigant sleep debt. Your body has a sleep memory so to speak. If you aren't getting enough sleep, it won't just go away because you get eight hours one night.

Besides, it was merely a theory. Missing tones because you were soundly asleep can be the result of a lot of things, however, sleeping through loud alarms, isn't considered normal. It shouldn't take a bomb to wake you from a nights sleep.

Forum Member

Buddy System!!! Ask another guy to check on you, its the best way! Sometimes you are just really tired from extra OT or working the side job and it can be tough.... BUDDY SYSTEM

Forum Member

Surely there is at least one person that is on your shift that is nice enough and cares enough to agree to make sure you are awake on their way to the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesbw View Post
    My crew will not wake me up they say that is my responsability. Not sure if that is the norm but that is the way it is.
    This is the core problem, in my opinion. Yes, something perhaps physically is going on with you that needs to be addressed, but in the meantime, the supposed brotherhood that we in the fire service boast about is being ignored here.

Obviously, you're a good enough guy to have made it through the process to be hired, and you've made it this far. I sure hope that same mentality about leaving you behind isn't the case if you don't follow them out of a smoke charged building.... It isn't like you're walking into the station two minutes before shift change and itching to leave twenty minutes early every morning.

It isn't just the fire service. Lots of trades today seem to pride themselves in hazing and "eating our young." Even back in the day, the old timers that were probably seen as the hardest to work under probably had the new guys best interest in mind, and did their best to help them succeed. Even if they seemed indifferent on the outside. Now I'm not saying that good natured hazing is bad, but some of it goes pretty far, to try and break that new guy.

If you're dispatched on tones, can you obtain/borrow/buy a pager to put right next to your head to wake you up? Sleep next to the overhead door and tie a rope to the door so that as it opens it drags you across the bay floor as it opens..

Sorry for the rant....
    Last edited by npfd801; 07-20-2007 at 12:56 AM.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

I am a probie on a Vol. Dept.

When I first started, I only had a pager, and it was not a very loud one, and it was stuck on vibrate. Needless to say, I did not hear one tone at night. Then I got a new pager and still only heard tones durring the hours I was awake. When I got a radio, it was loud enough for me to start hearing tones at night, but I still probably sleep through some of them.

It does not bother me much because I am a very light sleeper. If I do not hear tones, I must really need the sleep.

MembersZone Subscriber

My crew will not wake me up they say that is my responsability. Not sure if that is the norm but that is the way it is. TStay safe!
    If I am going to be going into a burning building that I have the possibility of getting trapped in I would rather have as many guys as possible there to help get me out. Sure it is your responsability to get up but in my opinion your brothers should have your back as well.

Forum Member

Default Sleeping through tones

Thanks for all the feed back. Had a discusion with my Capt and I think we have a plan to fix this. I don't mean to put down my Dept. I belive in these guys and this dept. I think alot of the guys are old school and there is no room for error.

Of all the things that I thought were going to be a challange my first year. This was the farthest from my mind. Twice now I've slept through the tones and missed a call. If your new like me and wondering if this is good or bad. It's bad! Not sure how to fix this. Has anyone had this problem or is it just me? Any advise would be very welcome.
    I use to at first so I'd put my pager under my pillow but not I have my charger on my head board and I hear when it's going off. I guess you just have to get yourself use to gettting up when you hear the tones going off.
    One firefighter....one passion. and one hell of a b!tch if you rub me the wrong way.

Ich liebe Männer in der Uniform, die eine Mädchenwelt schaukeln können

Forum Member

On the subject of pagers,make sure that thing is cranked up as far as it will go and keep it as close to your head as possible on the nightstand.That's if you are gung ho enough to answer every call,even at Odarkthirty,you've been to three already and it's your anniversary.
    Actually,the only time mine was turned off when I volunteered was during Church,when I left the state to visit and if I was getting drunk.The Church time was every week and getting plastered is usually once every six months if I feel like it.
    If it's someone sleeping through the tones in the station,all possibilities of practical jokes can be seen:moving their bed to where the officers sleep,moving it down to the apparatus bay,combining fun with training in moving gurneys in close quarters,of simply moving said bed underneath the speaker/alarm bell.
    You could make sure to sleep as much as you can at home before coming in and find things to keep you awake during your shift:station watch,going through the rig to refresh where everything is,study for promotions,study for general knowledge.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default sleeping through tones

Whats up brothers and sisters, I have just landed the greatest job in the world, my biggest fear is sleeping through the tones as well. I recommend is staying up untill midnite and if you have your own room, sleep with the light on and go to bed thinking of a fire scene, helps your mind think of the tones and sounds of the call coming in. Also, it helps if you have found out where the zetron volume is in your station and turn it up without anyone knowing.

Be safe and make sure everyone goes home

Thanks for the advice. Belive it or not I'm on a paid department. Yes my Captain was alll over me and yes there was paperwork involved. It will not be pretty next time. My crew will not wake me up they say that is my responsability. Not sure if that is the norm but that is the way it is. The tone are pretty loud in this station. Not so at some of the others. I'm very afraid. Thanks for all the help!! Stay safe!
    As a paid captain myself I agree with your captain counseling you, but in my eyes it is also his responsibilty to ensure that he has the full complement of personnel on board the truck before it rolls out the door. By allowing the truck to leave without you he is shooting himself and the rest of the crew in the foot by going out one man short. I would turn on the lights in the bunkroom, drag you out of the bunk by your ankles, but I would never leave you behind, because that would mean more work for ME once we got on scene...

Default dohhhhh

I remember a while ago I would always think I slept through the first tone, but woke up for the second one... Then I remembered that late at night the first tone doesn't go off because that's the one that sets off the whistles. :P

And yes, leaving someone behind screws everyone over. What if you show up to the call, and got flames through the roof? Now you're a man short, and you got a lot of work cut out for you. Bad idea to leave someone behind.

Yep I've done it a few times but theirs grace on me as Iam a vollie and a heavy sleeper, also our Brigade only has pagers and their not real loud...
    How ever on all 3 occasions someone has phoned me on their way to the station, also on all 3 occasions I was still the first to the station as its 5 house lots from my house, and finally on all 3 occasions it was between 1-3am and I work a full time job...

I've only been a member for 1 year, this summer (November is the start 4 us) will be my second fire season. I was taught that we all watch each others backs in all things so when the pagers go off we call each others mobile phones. Some times the pagers don't work, also some of us (inc me) have scanners in the car or by the bed. On more than one occasion our brigade beat the payed crew to the fire as we had scanners (this gives us about 2mins more notice than the pagers) and some of us work from home with the brigade close by and the payed crew station is 15mins away at the fastest.

Any how I feal that the crew might be letting you down a bit. If it keeps happening and a year goes by and you haven't trained your self to wake up then that's a different story.
    That's my 2c worth but Iam just a rookie with the vollies in a bushy brigade (ha-ha)

Forum Member

Yeah thats screwed up that the crew didnt wake you up. What about the person on watch. Its his responsibility to make sure the apparatus makes the run. Then the crews to make sure everyone is on it. Our station the tones are loud and they are preluded by a loud annoying bell. Plus the damn lights kick on and stay on for like 5 minutes. I can hardly sleep at our station for a couple of reasons. One we have prison mattresses and two if i am on the pumper those freaking lights basically stay on for ems calls for our box and squad.

I have heard of people plugging earbuds into the pager and put the buds in their ears before they go to bed. If the sound does wake you up, the constant turning and tossing over the wires choking you will wake you.

Or get a wife! We have a routine, Pager goes off--> Wife--> Hitting me, turn that off before I cut your.....

You get the point.

If you do have a medical condition get it checked out too, though I do think there are heavy sleepers out there!

Forum Member

Default yup..

first of all kinda funny in a way cause ive been their and have done it and got **** for it too, but eventually it blows over and if someone makes a joke about it just kinda laugh along with it, and if youve been sleeping through the tones at the fire house with some other guys you think that they would wake ur but up if you had a call i would want them too anyways wheather they had to literally role me out of the rack or just shake me

MembersZone Subscriber

Listen to BCLepore. The other responses about how your fellow firefighters should be there to help wake you up is crap. You are a rookie and still need to prove yourself. They need to know they can count on you and not the other way around. If you were one of my rookies I would have you in my office pretty quick for something like this. Do what it takes to get the job done, always be the first to volunteer for work, and always be the first to the engine/truck (day or night).
    Last edited by Maltese2588; 09-10-2007 at 10:47 PM.

Default amplified base or station speaker

If you have an amplified base turn it up, if not turn the house alarm up just a bit. I have slept through several calls and at first I was mad, but now I am ok with it. Besides when you are at the station and you are the only EMT on duty the crew will wake you up and if not the members coming to the station to get the apparatus will wake you up! So do not worry about missing a call it happens and if you do sleep through a call than it is a blessing because your body needed the rest.

Stay safe and welcome to the brotherhood.

Default talk to people

First Talk to your captain tell him your having sleep issues. Next as your department to look into a new tone system, at one of your neiboring department a bell goes off and load anoying tone over the pa system and all the light in the station turn on automaticaly, look into that.

Second look into a possible medical reason why your sleeping through the calls. Do you have apenia, (spelling) if so there treatment that will help you sleep so you dont sleep so hard when you need it.

Good luck, and rember that always someone higher on the food chain you can talk to about it.

Thread Information