Forum Member

Default Sleeping through the tones

Of all the things that I thought were going to be a challange my first year. This was the farthest from my mind. Twice now I've slept through the tones and missed a call. If your new like me and wondering if this is good or bad. It's bad! Not sure how to fix this. Has anyone had this problem or is it just me? Any advise would be very welcome.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey,

Im a probie myself and cant say that i have sleep through the tones, but god i hope that doesent happen. you might try switching beds to be closer to the speaker or the bell, witch ever your department has. or maybe even closer to the door so someone might see you on the way if your still asleep. speaking of that you might ask a guy next to you if he could make sure your awake when the tones go off.

i hope one of those ideas helped

Forum Member

Sleep in the rig! Seriously, ask on of the guys on your crew to give you a kick on the way out. Nothing wrong with asking for help, they can only help if you ask. I still ask guys to check on me before hitting the pole, especially when I've been working alot of OT, or my side job. As a probie, this can be very bad for you, so do whatever you need to, stay up, or yes, sleep in the rig, whatever works. Good luck..

Forum Member

I'm on a volunteer department, and have slept through the tones numerous times unfortunately. Sometimes it's a good thing, like when I have school in 2 hours, but sometimes it's bad, like when I slept through a FAST call into Brick for a fully involved wood-frame structure. I was POed.

Sad part is, in my room I have my pager, my base scanner that was given to me when I joined explorers, and my personally bought Portable scanner. They all went off for our call, and 2 (not my pager) would have went off when Brick got hit out for the fire. I didn't wake up until about 30 minutes into the call either. ARRRRR.....

Forum Member

No one makes everything.

Do you have an amplified charger for your pager? If you do, is it turned up all the way?

I'd assume you aren't in a paid department, as that is pretty much entirely frowned upon, and I'm sure your captain would have reemed you a new one by now for sleeping through calls. It's bad enough to do it with time in, but as a probie, i'd imagine you'd have been gone if you did it repeatedly.

Best thing I've found, sleep with the amplifier or pager right next to your head. Haven't slept through the tones since then.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jamesbw View Post
    Twice now I've slept through the tones and missed a call. If your new like me and wondering if this is good or bad.
    It depends.

If you're a volunteer and you slept through the tones then you needed your sleep more than you needed to be chasing calls.

If you're on the job, shame on the rest of your crew for not waking you. If they can't be trusted to watch your back before you even leave the bunk how the heck can you trust them at a fire? (Sleeping through tones on the job will get you a lot of ribbing but there's no excuse for ever allowing a crew member to miss a call.)
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

Default Sleeping through tones

Thanks for the advice. Belive it or not I'm on a paid department. Yes my Captain was alll over me and yes there was paperwork involved. It will not be pretty next time. My crew will not wake me up they say that is my responsability. Not sure if that is the norm but that is the way it is. The tone are pretty loud in this station. Not so at some of the others. I'm very afraid. Thanks for all the help!! Stay safe!

MembersZone Subscriber

Sleeping through a call once is funny. Doing it a second time is bad. You need to do exactly what the previous poster said and do what it takes to make certain it NEVER happens again.
    Firefighters make mistakes every day. We pride ourselves on not repeating them. Sleeping through a run for the second time sends a really bad message to your crew.
    Sleep on the engine if you have to. Put your bed on the app floor. Make a pact with another firefighter to wake each other up. Do what it takes.

I guarantee your crew is no longer laughing. You are becomming a hindrance to the operational readiness of the engine.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Sleep on what ever rig your on can't miss a call if your already in it. I used to have a Lt that I constantly had to wake up almost every call it gets to be very annoying if you constantly have to wake them up.
    FOOLS
    RFB-KTF-DTRT

LOL...When I was an explorer before I became a firefighter I slept through the fire tones twice. I slept once for a man vs. train call and another for a brush fire. But the best thing I can say is to get a handheld scanner at radio shack and keep it next to when your sleeping. I would recommend using the scanner as apposed to your portable to save battery incase you do get a call. But overtime your mind will train to listen and wake up for the tones, I guess in some ways when your at the station you become a light sleeper.

Forum Member

As a Vollie I've slept through the first set of tones before. Never the second though. It happens. Hopefully it won't be a common thing though.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

I sleep in the bunk closest to the door and everyone wakes me up on the way out.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireslayer1237 View Post
    Sleep on what ever rig your on can't miss a call if your already in it. I used to have a Lt that I constantly had to wake up almost every call it gets to be very annoying if you constantly have to wake them up.
    Leave him behind once and it won't happen again.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jbrescue View Post
    Leave him behind once and it won't happen again.
    that's away to get the ***** chewing of a lifetime.

It's a little hard to explain to a chief with you Lt. sitting next to you why you went on a call all by yourself since we run 2 person stations.
    FOOLS
    RFB-KTF-DTRT

Forum Member

I am a VERY sound sleeper, I will keep a glass of water next to my head and get another member to dump it on me if I don't wake up. Shaking me, pulling my covers off, or throwing me on the floor won't do it... but ice cold water is the trick... It's something that I have to live with and hopefully get over it, but It hasn't changed for 9 years now in the fire service, and I've been this way my whole life...

Oh yea, and when your the only medic, they will wake you up...
    Eric- FF/Paramedic/Inspector
    Clermont County, Ohio

MembersZone Subscriber

We recently got new beds at the house and they are pretty damn comfortable. I started to find myself waking up 1/2 way through the announcment. So I now sleep on the couch between the bunk room and the pole/stair. I also keep my pager cranked up and I turn the house speaker up a little bit just incase.

Forum Member

Sounds like you need to get a better nights sleep prior to coming on the job.

Make sure the volume of the tones in your particular room are up all the way.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the advice. Belive it or not I'm on a paid department. Yes my Captain was alll over me and yes there was paperwork involved. It will not be pretty next time. My crew will not wake me up they say that is my responsability. Not sure if that is the norm but that is the way it is. The tone are pretty loud in this station. Not so at some of the others. I'm very afraid. Thanks for all the help!! Stay safe!
    wheres the teamwork here? Your shift should be making sure everyone is up and ready. It doesn't take much to wake some one up.I enjoy kicking someones bed to wake them up. We had a guy on my shift who would sleep through our phone calls. Mind you our phone rings bells all throughout the station. He usually sleeps in the tv room as he doesn't like the beds we have. We would have to kick the chair just to get him up.

Forum Member

i wouldnt be kicking the chair, i'd be kicking him!
    All men are created equal, then a few become firemen.

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb Where's the teamwork?

Some people are just deep sleepers. If you are part of a cohesive group of firefighters and you are a doing a great job as a probie then I would have to believe someone on the team would wake you up if you are not already up when the tones go off. If no one wakes you and this has happened twice there maybe you need to read between the lines as it would seem that someone or the entire group is giving you extra slack so to "let you hang," figuratively speaking that is. If your team isn't helping you out then maybe you are not doing something right, outside of sleeping through tones. Step back and take a look at the big picture.. Good luck.
    Last edited by phoenixmaximus; 07-18-2007 at 06:30 PM.
    Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing. ---The Big Lebowski

Firefighter/Paramedic
    Central Iowa

MembersZone Subscriber

why is everyone equating heavy sleeping with a lack of sleep, or malicious intent (i.e. leave him once and he wont do it again?) i doubt very seriously these people are waking up, saying, "ah, screw it" and going back to sleep. i sleep very heavy, people can come and go in my house and never wake me up, i can fall asleep in a rig going to a call. doesn't mean i want to let my crew down...as for the guys refusing to wake you up...sounds rather petty to me...

Forum Member

Heavy sleeping is often a sign of a signifigant sleep debt. Your body has a sleep memory so to speak. If you aren't getting enough sleep, it won't just go away because you get eight hours one night.

Besides, it was merely a theory. Missing tones because you were soundly asleep can be the result of a lot of things, however, sleeping through loud alarms, isn't considered normal. It shouldn't take a bomb to wake you from a nights sleep.

Forum Member

Buddy System!!! Ask another guy to check on you, its the best way! Sometimes you are just really tired from extra OT or working the side job and it can be tough.... BUDDY SYSTEM

Forum Member

Surely there is at least one person that is on your shift that is nice enough and cares enough to agree to make sure you are awake on their way to the engine.

MembersZone Subscriber

My crew will not wake me up they say that is my responsability. Not sure if that is the norm but that is the way it is.
    This is the core problem, in my opinion. Yes, something perhaps physically is going on with you that needs to be addressed, but in the meantime, the supposed brotherhood that we in the fire service boast about is being ignored here.

Obviously, you're a good enough guy to have made it through the process to be hired, and you've made it this far. I sure hope that same mentality about leaving you behind isn't the case if you don't follow them out of a smoke charged building.... It isn't like you're walking into the station two minutes before shift change and itching to leave twenty minutes early every morning.

It isn't just the fire service. Lots of trades today seem to pride themselves in hazing and "eating our young." Even back in the day, the old timers that were probably seen as the hardest to work under probably had the new guys best interest in mind, and did their best to help them succeed. Even if they seemed indifferent on the outside. Now I'm not saying that good natured hazing is bad, but some of it goes pretty far, to try and break that new guy.

If you're dispatched on tones, can you obtain/borrow/buy a pager to put right next to your head to wake you up? Sleep next to the overhead door and tie a rope to the door so that as it opens it drags you across the bay floor as it opens..

Sorry for the rant....
    Last edited by npfd801; 07-20-2007 at 01:56 AM.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Thread Information