Forum Member

Default Fire/Public Safety Courses

Another junior at my department along with myself are trying to decide on what courses to take at the Fire Academy and Public safety Academy. We are probably going to take Intro to the Fire Service and Exterior Firefighting, which will ease the course load when we turn 18 and take the rest of the FF 1 courses. What we are trying to determine is if it is a good idea to spend a couple of nights in the school year to take Emergency Medical Services: First Responder (50 Hrs) and Basic Vehicle Rescue Awareness (16 Hrs). We also are trying to figure out if we should try to get other juniors in the area to attend a local level set of classes for the First Responder training, because then we can arrange it to take place at our fire house and on weekends or days off from school, so that we are not in a college 45 minutes from our houses on Monday and Wednesday nights. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by charlie82 View Post
    Another junior at my department along with myself are trying to decide on what courses to take at the Fire Academy and Public safety Academy. We are probably going to take Intro to the Fire Service and Exterior Firefighting, which will ease the course load when we turn 18 and take the rest of the FF 1 courses. What we are trying to determine is if it is a good idea to spend a couple of nights in the school year to take Emergency Medical Services: First Responder (50 Hrs) and Basic Vehicle Rescue Awareness (16 Hrs). We also are trying to figure out if we should try to get other juniors in the area to attend a local level set of classes for the First Responder training, because then we can arrange it to take place at our fire house and on weekends or days off from school, so that we are not in a college 45 minutes from our houses on Monday and Wednesday nights. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    I am really glad that you are trying to get as much training as possible.

If run more medical type calls, then I would say to take the First Responder course.

My biggest concern is that your department should be guiding you in what training that you need.

p.s. I would like to know what this "Exterior Firefighting" class is all about. Never heard of that one.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

I too agree with thefirenut first responder would be my first choice. before i took the others i would check with the department and then may consider the more basics such as Fire Cause & Origin, Inspection Practices
    Fire Protection Systems, Extinguishers // Fire Alarm & Communications, Public Relations Records & Reports, Public Education // Fire Department Organization, Safety and PPE, Ladders // Fire Service Hose // Fire Behavior, Streams // Ventilation, Ground Cover, Firefighting // Rescue Operations, First Aid // SCBA, Forcible Entry. these are some of the intro and basic classes offered in collin county, texas,, not sure of the breakdown you have there but I would think it should be similar. those cover the 72 hour plus requirement and are a good basic start. I think you are going into this with the right attitude and comittment and hope you enjoy doing this as much as most of us do. Again I cant stress enough to talk to the training officer and or chief to get there input, the will respect you comittment and decision to pursue this course and should be a major part in the decision you make, but still when all is said and done you are the final word and you make the decision to guide your career.

Mike
    Imagine Having done nothing.

150 years of tradition unhampered by progress!

Forum Member

Exterior Firefighter from the Montgomery County Pennsylvania Fire Academy Website:

"EXTERIOR FIREFIGHTER (ELEF) - 42 hours

This course is designed to introduce new firefighters to exterior operations including Building Construction, Ladders, Communication, Protective Systems/ Sprinklers, Forcible Entry, and Fire Prevention. This is the third of four courses in the new essentials curriculum.

Student Equipment/ Supplies Needed: Bring pen, pencil, notebook; F.T.O.G.

Manuals: Firefighter's Handbook Second edition, Study Guide and Skills Sheets will be issued.

Prerequisite: Fire Ground Support (ELFG)

Junior firefighters over the age of 14 are permitted to enroll.

Class size limit: 30 Students

Certificates issued: M.C.F.A., PA S. F. A.

Cost: Pennsylvania Resident: $80.00"

This course is one of four courses required for FF1 in pennsylvania. The entire FF1 training consists of 166 hours of course work. Along with it is introduction to the fire service, Interior FF and one other. Interior Firefighter can not be taken by anyone under the age of 18.

Thanks for the Input. I have been talking to my chief and some of the leutenants (sp) and we are working out what I should be taking.

I will be required to be in the process of getting FF1 during the 1st year after my 18th birthday.

Forum Member

Thats great !!! I think you are going to be a great asset to them ... remember to allways keep learning and updated on all the new methods as you continue on.

stay positive and go home every night.

Mike
    Imagine Having done nothing.

150 years of tradition unhampered by progress!

Forum Member

Old thread, but hey :P

I will say that had I joined as an explorer/junior, I would've loved to take courses at Montco. The way they set up the different modules is great, because like you say once you turn 18 you really only need module 4 or whatever. Personally I'm taking Chester's program since I need the whole Fire 1 anyways.

But my opinion is that you should take whatever courses you want, so long as you don't load too much work onto yourself. I'm curious as to what county you're in...I'm assuming Montco or Chester?

Forum Member

What's "F.T.O.G."?
    Full Trunk Of Gear?

Forum Member

Fire Turn Out Gear?

Thread Information